1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What was your favorite Goretorium moment?

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by ClownHo, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Las Vegas Sun is reporting what has been suspected, the Goretorium is shutting down on Wednesday.

Didn't get to see it. As much as I enjoy haunted attractions, it wasn't part of my itinerary last Halloween, or this past Easter.

On the one hand, with all that pedestrian traffic, how could it miss?

On the other hand, the expensive ticket prices for a haunted attraction in the heart of an adult playground seems out of place. Yes, people dump big stacks of greenbacks in Vegas, but haunted attractions draw a teenage and young adult club. Young adults in Vegas want to spend $40 to get into a hot club, not to get into a haunted attraction. Sure, plenty of families are looking for things to do while on vacation in Vegas, as well as all those cheerleaders that stay at the Orleans, but again, there's a price point that works, and $40 seems high, no matter how much they invested in it.

They obviously can't make money if they're closing down at the start of the haunted house season. Too bad for me.

They (whoever they are) claim they plan a seasonal attraction.... ain't happenin' this year, but perhaps they can find a way to bring haunted house fun to the masses next October. Fright Dome succeeds, evidently, and that's not so much a surprise. The haunted house within an amusement park template seems to be working well seasonally around the country. But I'm not convinced that the Vegas tourist is the best market if you're in the biz. Both Amazing Johnathan and 1/2 of Las Vegas Haunts failed downtown last year. I guess I don't know that they failed, but they're not back this year, which tells me something. (Las Vegas Haunts is hosting its attractions together again this year, as they did in the past, outside of the tourist districts.)

2. Jade88

Jade88 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So yet another attraction i really wanted to see is a non option when i go Oct 20th. I am batting almost zero here. We have the 13th floor yet, anyone know of anything good that is still near the strip or downtown? Has anyone done the waxworks after dark thing? I guess i should be happy that i did not drop a ton of money on the wedding packages like a lot of people did.

3. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I figured they would have lasted it out until Halloween and then shut down for good.

4. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you would think so, but i'm guessing that whatever their gross at the gate is on a busy night, it's not significant enough to outweigh the cost of doing business. but you'd think that announcing you're shutting down after halloween would only increase the demand for your products (haunted attraction, wedding packages, cocktails and merchandise) as you prepare to go out of business. they must have decided that there was no profit to be had, so cut the losses now, despite the obvious marketing advantage of going out of business on nov. 1 or 3.

a good haunted house is labor intensive. you need a lot of people doing stuff to do it well, and i had read somewhere that they reduced their staffing significantly because of the poor box office traffic. they cheapened their labor costs, but cheapened the value of the attraction at the same time. (i'm guessing they didn't cut the price substantially.) if that's correct -- that they cut payroll significantly -- perhaps it's best they go out of business now rather than fleece people for a half-assed show.

5. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Freakling Bros. claims its about 10 miles from the strip, and Googily maps says it's within 10 miles of Cesar's Palace. They put on a good show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.