1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What to do for a hurt toe

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by BlueSkadoo, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi guys and girls! I have a weird question. What can you do for a hurt toe? I dropped a piece of heavy furniture on it at work today and it's super sore. Its my big toe, and when I stand on it, the nailbed hurts. I have examined it thoroughly, and I can't see anything. The toenail appears to be firmly attached (thank goodness) but it has white spots on my toenail. (I removed the polish to find out!) Any home remedies?

2. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas certified personal trainer/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd suggest keeping ice on it and keep your leg/foot elevated, if possible. If your toenail starts to push up in the middle it likely has a pus blister or a blood blister underneath it. If the blister gets large enough it will raise the toenail off the bed and the nail falls off. Then it will take about 6 months to regrow your big toenail, but it will feel like forever - especially during sandal season.

Good luck! I hope you don't lose your nail.

3. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is terrible news. Just terrible!

I'd probably ice it some. Is the joint sore at all or just around the nail?

You should probably think about giving up your career as a mover and settle into something less risky.

Is there any chance that this could ruin your Vegas trip? Will you be able to stand at craps tables?!

4. DonD

DonD Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When the elephant hurt his toe, he called a big tow truck. Sorry.

5. BlueSkadoo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    RF, I am hopeful that my toe will heal before then. I put in my application at the grommet factory, will you give me a good reference?

Don, it took me a few minutes to get that joke. :eek:

6. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ice, and drugs (no, I don't mean *that* - take advil or aleve - whatever you normally take for pain)

If you do happen to have a blood blister - you can pierce your nail bed to relieve pressure. Heat a needle or paper clip, "melt" a hole in the nail. Drain, wash, put on neosporin, cover. Yeah, I've had to do this.....

(like this: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/subungual_hematoma_bleeding_under_nail/article_em.htm)

7. HAWJOHN

HAWJOHN Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know the request was for homer remedies, but I think I would see the doctor and possibly get it x-rayed.

8. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a teen I dropped a full can of paint on my big toe. The toe broke, I had to wear it taped up for a few months. There was a large blood blister underneath the nail that the doctor drained. I didn't lose the nail. I wore sandals until it got too cold. My father cut a big hole in one of my shoes for my big swollen wrapped toe to stick out of. Very glamorous look. I don't think the toe set right because my walk has been different ever since. I have broke a different small toe another time and that wasn't as big a deal. I didn't go to the doctor for it.

9. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like an Acetaminophen (Tylenol) and Ibuprofen (Advil, et al) cocktail for really annoying pain. Plus booze, of course.

And as unpleasant as it might seem, Hoya's hot needle remedy works wonders if the pressure becomes significant.

Number 50!
  10. BlueSkadoo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's really hard to sleep with your foot elevated.

As a coincidence, I have a podiatry appointment Tuesday made before the injury. Hopefully I can make it until then, so I do plan on getting it checked. Hopefully tomorrow's furniture moving won't further aggregate the problem? It's work related so I'm stuck.

All these great responses makes me live VMB even more!!

Campaign save the toenail starts now! :evillaugh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.