1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What if you get there because of airport delays

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Username, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Who has been stranded at a airport and couldn't get to Vegas or any other destination where you have hotel reservations, etc....Does the hotel give a little and not charge you......even if you get there a day or 2 late do they sock it to you and charge you all the days even though it's no fault of yours that the planes were not flying do to bad weather. Maybe a package deal through Southwest Vacations could spare you paying the full amount...don't know.

We have not had this happen yet.....but we have had a couple close calls.... just wondering what to expect just in case.

2. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should phone the hotel and let them know.

You want to say its no fault of yours so why should you pay for a hotel room if you aren't staying there or have your reservation cancelled because you didn't show up... but its even less of the hotel's fault.

3. nickle

nickle Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never been delayed getting to Vegas. If I was, I would contact the hotel as soon as I knew to let them know what is going on. I would expect that if I couldn't get there, there would be others who would be unable to leave. A few years back, we were unable to leave Vegas because Buffalo was snowed in. We were offered a flight to, and hotel in, Baltimore! When I asked about staying in Vegas, the airline was happy to accommodate. We actually stayed 2 additional nights in the same hotel room. Apparently, in Vegas, if you wish to extend your stay, the hotel is obliged to accommodate you. (or so I was told at that time)

4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a quick business trip scheduled in Las Vegas (out of Reno) in mid-Dec. We had a pretty decent snow and ice storm here. I was at the airport and Southwest started cancelling flights. I called the Hard Rock from the airport and let them know I'd be unable to make it. They have a 72-hour cancellation policy and they charge the 1st night's cost at the time of placing the reservation. The lady put me on hold for a couple minutes, came back and said, "no problem... we hope to see you again soon."

Now... I'm not sure if she went to check the weather or get approval from a supervisor, which I'm sure she needed to do. I might have also gotten leeway, because they saw that I stay there 40-50 nights a year, but they were very nice about it... which is another reason I prefer being a loyal patron of businesses I like over jumping ship every time someone offers to save me a nickel. Of course, to be fair, most of my costs are borne by the business, not "directly" out of my pocket.

5. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since this is in the Non Vegas Chat area

A few years ago I wanted to see Billy Idol in Atlantic City. I bought non refundable concert tickets online from a re-seller at scalper rates.
    When I got to the Airport Spirit Air had cancelled the flight due to mechanical failure and there was pandemonium with people trying to re-book.
    I would've missed the concert anyway so I lost the money for the concert tickets. Spirit refunded the cost of the flights after a lot of bitching.
    I've never flown on Spirit Air since... Mutts!

6. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    this happened to me several years ago, I just called Aria and they trimmed the reservation down by a day, no charges were incurred

instead I got to pay for a Denver airport hotel for a 3.5 hour "nap"

7. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you book a pay upfront non-refundable stay, eg through a consolidator, in theory you're on the hook for the money and they are not obligated to refund you no matter what. That's why you always read the fine print. You tend to have more leeway when booking directly with the hotel, though again, read the fine print. Depending on when you cancel or try to reschedule, you might be out a night or two's deposit.

Always call as soon as you have information and let the hotel (or car rental or whatever) know, be polite, see what they can do for you:peace:

8. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depending how you book will be a huge factor.
    Since we book directly or through a host we carry the hotel phone number for reservations and will call immediately once we know we are delayed just to give them a heads up. Don't forget to document the name of the person.

Luckily this only happened once and we have since schedule only morning flights.

9. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most well managed hotels will allow you to cancel your reservation if you're unable to make it due to the weather. They understand that this happens a lot and you have no control over the situation. However, some hotels will make you deal with the 3rd party website (Expedia, Orbitz, etc.) if you booked with them. This is why you ALWAYS try to book with your hotel since they usually will price match the rate that you find on a 3rd party website, as long as it's a transparent rate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.