1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What happens to all these cars?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by jerseyguy, Nov 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just in Port Newark alone there were 10,000 new cars in lots waiting to be distributed that were flooded out. Add to that the thousands of cars totaled all over the place theres a whole lot of cars involved. Do companys buy them up cheap ,redue the interiors and sell them to people in other parts of the country or do they ship them to other countrys or what?

2. sammowhammo

sammowhammo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After Hurricane Ike there were a lot of water damaged cars. One of my friends runs a detail business & he said he worked out a deal with the dealers to clean up the excess water, remove & replace the wet carpets & pads and then the dealers sold the vehicles with a salvage title. He said the cars were discounted by more than half when they were sold & for the most part there was really nothing wrong with them - but that was rainwater not salt water. He said the losses were covered by the dealers insurance.

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know but the consumer watch dog type sites are cautioning people about buying a car that was possibly flooded. Make sure it is thoroughly checked out ahead of time type stuff.
    The thought of mold growing in the car would scare me.

Christmas
  4. DBear

DBear VIP Whale

Yep, they're insurance write off's. Someone still tries to sell it though, hopefully as salvaged vehicles. Big discount because you don't have any warranty. I say hopefully they're sold as salvaged because some people will try to sell it to unsuspecting buyers as a new vehicle or almost new, sometimes on the other side of the country. They only find out its salvaged status when they go into a dealership trying to get something repaired under warranty. Some buyers may luck out and have no problems while some can be electrical nightmares.

5. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I suspect Insurance covers most of it.
    Then they sell the cars at the auction which are then purchased by unscrupulous dealerships who in turn will sell the car as new.

6. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a feeling they will try to offload some overseas somewhere.

7. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I have been lucky buying or recommending several used cars sourced through eBay which offers Auto Check, a service similar to Carfax. The big problem is when cars are sold across state lines and titles are reconstructed or vin numbers are pulled from another car and switched with the flood damaged vehicle.

8. Boone

Boone Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It will depend on the insurance company what happens to them:

1) sold at salvage auctions to salvage dealers (junkyards). These guys will part them out or clean them up and sell them with salvage titles. In lots of cases there isn't anything wrong with them once you change all of the fluids and interior. They make very affordable cars but with risks.

2) sold directly as scrap. This will happen to the majority on these massive disasters. The vehicles will be stripped and melted and recycled to make rebar etc...

9. ballhog

ballhog Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never ever buy a salvage title car unless you want to drive it till the tires fall off. I bought a really nice Saleen Mustang that was damaged and had a salvage title, it was very very light damage to one fender. I fixed it drove it a few years, when I tried to sell it, you would think it had the plague. It was a shame, had super low miles and in perfect shape, I basically had to give that car away.

10. Boone

Boone Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree - this is because the salvage title doesn't tell you what happened to it or what had to be done to fix the vehicle. A dealer cannot get regular financing on a salvage vehicle so they don't want them. They would need a cash buyer who are few and far between.

drive them until the are scrap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.