1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What happens if you miss your Southwest flight?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by joshrocker, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone missed a flight on Southwest before? I know they recently changed the rule about no call no shows. As long as you cancel 10 minutes before your flight time you can receive a full refund.

What happens if you call because you're not going to make that flight and want to be booked on a later flight? Does the situation matter? Do they charge you the much higher price for the later same day flight? Do they try and work with you at all?

2. Rodent Pack

Rodent Pack S.S. Minnow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only experience I've had with SWA regarding a missed flight is when we reached the gate just as the plane was being pushed back. Gate agent was great and booked us on the next flight with no additional charges.

3. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some buddies overslept and missed theirs like two or three summers ago. SWA put them on the next flight out no charge.

4. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the replies.

I booked air for a non Vegas trip awhile back and I just found out some information that is going to make our return flight possibly very tight on time. I'm trying to figure out how to proceed.

1. Gamble and hope everything goes right.

2. Make some expensive decisions that will guarantee we have plenty of time to make our flight.

5. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Technically, if you don't cancel 10 mins before departure, you supposedly forfeit your $ - no travel credit. I don't know if it's supposed to be the same thing with points, but I had two flights to Vegas scheduled in Feb - one with $ and one with points a couple of days later (in case of weather).

I took the first flight and forgot to cancel the second. They put the points back in my account.

If you call because you know you're going to miss your flight and wnt to get on a later one, that's a change, and technically, you're liable for the diff in fares.

From my I experienced with my points, and what captainron said, it appears they're being pretty lenient. The "no-show" penalty policy policies have been in place since last spring, although when it first came out, they did use "may" in describing it.

If you have to switch airlines to make a connection, that's one thing. If you book the whole itinerary with one airline, they're not allowed to book you into a connection they can't make under normal circumstances.

6. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the information.

We're spending a week on a remote island off the coast of Florida. There's only one company that has a regular scheduled route from the island. I booked the air awhile back but just found out yesterday that the boat MAY make an extra stop that would add another 30 minutes to the trip back to the mainland. We stayed on the island last year and took the same boat but they went straight to the mainland and I wasn't aware that an extra stop was a possibility (We had plenty of time so it won't have made a difference).

If they make the extra stop we're going to be arriving at the airport way to close for comfort.

I can rebook the air tickets at the higher rate being offered today.

I can book a private boat from the island but that's very pricey

I'm hoping that if things go bad we can call Southwest and they'll work with us. If they try to rebook us at a same day rate however it's much cheaper for me to make one of these other options.

7. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That would of been nice when I over slept and missed mine last Oct. Allegiant pretty much said sucks for you buddy, buy another flight.

8. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Several years ago after just getting settled in I received a call that my mom was likely going to pass away and to come home. I called Southwest and booked the last flight out for that day. It cost me more for that one change than the original round trip airfare.

Jimbo338

9. TMescan

TMescan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Couple years ago in vegas this scenario happened to me and my gf. We got absolutely destroyed at a bar with some other couples we happened to meet and hang out with (we were trying to keep it low key and just have a couple drinks before we turned in since we had to leave early). I think we had a 9:30 flight and the gf somehow managed to wake up around 8:30 and trip over me as i apparently slept in the bathroom. It was basically one of those where you open your eyes and feel like death is imminent and really couldnt care less what happens in life. She manages to call SWA and make up some bs excuse to which they basically say that theyd be glad to transfer us to the next flight but wed have to cover the difference in the ticket price (which was about $250 a piece). I nodded couldnt caring if it was a million dollar difference and needless to say that was one of the worst traveling days of our lives. :vomit:

10. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The first couple of posts gave me hope. The last couple have destroyed it :hmmm:

I honestly figured they would makes us pay the difference at whatever the same day rate was. If that's the case, like tmescan said, it will cost us more for the return flight then the whole round trip fare to begin with. While all of my options are pricey at the moment that would be the worst case scenario.

11. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry Rocker, I also have a bad story. I won a weekly tournament at Terribles
    but they would not pay me to the next morning and I would miss my flight. So I rebooked the night before and it cost me double.

12. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I figured this would be the case but I was really hoping to hear otherwise. I appreciate you letting me know.

13. buomalley

buomalley Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was told by a swa agent that if you miss your flight, but show up at the airport within 2 hours of that flight, they will put you on the next available flight free of charge. This happened to us and they indeed put us on the next flight.

14. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Who knows when the "next available flight" might be? Southwest is notorious for overbooking their flights.

15. Scottndindy

Scottndindy Low-Roller

You have to be at airport for complimentary change. Most airlines call it a "flat tire" policy. If you try on phone you will be charged new fare

16. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep...What more could they possibly be expected to do? Bottom line, make your flight. :eek:

17. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This gives me hope again! If this does turn out to be true then it's just one more reason why I love Southwest.

I know, I know. It's the obvious answer. Like I said, a month after booking air I found out about this extra possible stop.
    The answer I was hoping for was Southwest would put you on a later flight as a courtesy. I didn't actually expect them to do it but I asked just to see if anyone had experienced this. If this is their answer, then that's really going above and beyond. It’s just 1 more reason why they're the best airline out there today.

I do think we'll make the flight. The extra stop isn't made often i'm told, it just makes me nervous. If Southwest had a hard line stance (which is what I expected), then I was going to make a call on one of the other options (they're just expensive and our budget was already stretched).

18. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I should've been more clear... my "make your flight" comment wasn't directed at you Rocker, but rather some of the various other posts of missed flights.

19. mckevin32

mckevin32 Low-Roller

You want hope? I'll give you hope.

My boss flew Southwest to Vegas Sunday. Having forgotten to reset his clocks, he cleared security and made the gate just as they closed the doors. They explained to him that they weren't opening the doors for him, but they would put him on the next flight, which left in 25 minutes.

Not only did they put him on that flight, not only did they do so at no additional expense, they (swear to God) issued him a $150 voucher for future travel for his inconvenience!

I hate him, lol.

20. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All I can say is WOW!! That's very very nice.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.