1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

what buffet has the best crab legs?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by bmw420, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmw420

bmw420 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wondering on the weekends what buffet on the strip has the best and biggest "warm crab legs".

Last time I was there i liked the MGM king crab legs but i dont think they have them anymore..

2. vokalml

vokalml Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wynn Buffett had some great crab legs. They loaded my friend up with a mountain of them. It is expensive though. Like $45 or so.

3. petunia

petunia Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe Tuesday night is the seafood buffet at MGM, they have them then for sure :)

4. ardee

ardee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Studio B usually has a nice offering, crab-wise.

5. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

My experience has shown either the Wynn or Bellagio to have the biggest legs (served warm). The Wynn grills them upon request, while the Bellagio boils them.

6. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After going to Wynn's, Bellagio's, and Aria's buffet... I think Aria has the best crab legs.

7. DRich2

DRich2 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    King crab legs are pretty much a thing of the past at normal buffets. I believe the Wynn was the last one to have them regularly.

Now, I only see them at the high end weekend buffets (Sterling at Ballys, Jazz at Wynn, and the Bellagio high end weekend buffet.

8. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Out of the three, Aria definitely has consistently the best king crab legs. Aria has had amazing king crab legs ever since the buffet first opened three years ago. In my experience, Bellagio tends to put out still-frozen legs more often than not. I don't know why they have this problem.

Caesar's Bacchanal has king crab as good as Aria, but Bacchanal mixes king and snow crab together in one bin now, so it's more difficult to just get a plate of king crab (especially if you get it from the hot station). So Aria definitely wins.

9. bmw420

bmw420 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aria is where im going to EAT!!!!!!

10. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not so fast! Aria is definitely the best place for king crab legs. But it's definitely slightly less than good for everything else. Bacchanal would be the best overall and then maybe Wynn. Aria is great for the king crab, but you'll find yourself walking around looking for other things to eat and not being able to find much.

Although if you DO end up at at Aria because king crab is really all you want to eat, they do offer a custom cold seafood platter brought to your table and meant for the whole table to share (think cold seafood sampler app at a fish house). I've never asked for it and I've never seen one served, but the pictures show a giant plate with crab, shrimp, mussels, and whatever other cold seafood they have that day. I guess it's nothing you couldn't get on your own, but they'll supposedly make it look nice and deliver it to you, thus guaranteeing you'll get the best pieces of crab.
    See the picture on the buffet's webpage: http://www.arialasvegas.com/dining/restaurants/buffet
    When they re-opened last year, it was said that you could ask for any item on the buffet line to be plated family-style and delivered to your table. Never seen it done, but it's supposedly an option.

Also make sure you try their Indian food section. They're the only buffet on the strip (or anywhere) that has an actual tandoor oven on the buffet line to serve up tandoori chicken (one time they had tandoori lamb and it was excellent) and fresh naan. Their garlic naan is so good that I just want to fill up on it.

The desserts at Aria are limited, but what they have is amazing. The desserts are elegant and are less cloyingly sweet than most other places. Make sure you try the rectangular macaroons. They're the best I've ever had and I'm about 95% sure they come from Jean Philippe downstairs.

See this blog post for proof that the family-style service and the seafood platter are real: http://www.tasteofaria.com/?p=435

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  11. Foos

Foos Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your review sold me, my second purchase with MyVegas LP's will be the Aria Lunch buffet (right before dinner starts) for 19500. My first purchase was the Belagio Lunch buffet for 34500 which I will be going to for a late lunch too.

Western Airlines "The Only Way To Fly"
  12. jackincols

jackincols Guest

The above 2 would be my pick.

13. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

In terms of crab legs, I can't complain one bit about what the Aria offers either. And indeed, that freshly-made garlic naan will knock your socks off.
    That's what sold me on the Aria buffet - the naan. Simply the best I've had at any Indian restaurant.

14. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a good plan. Make sure to come back and let us know whether you liked Bellagio or Aria more.

I still feel weird recommending Aria because it is overall a weak buffet. Crab, Indian food, and desserts is all I can really vouch for. They also make a very good prime rib (and the only buffet I know of that constantly has two prime ribs in use at the station at any one time to cater to doneness preferences).

Also note that Aria often does not replenish their king crab legs until the current stuff is depleted. So if you go get crab and see that it's just disappointingly small pieces, wait for them to restock. The new stuff will be nicely sized.

Gah, that naan is so good I can almost taste it now! The Trader Joe's frozen Garlic Naan sort of comes close, but still doesn't have that perfect chew that the naan at Aria has. That guy is a naan master and he must work 7 days a week because I see him manning the tandoor every single time I've ever been to that buffet.

15. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    double post, sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.