1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Westjet Change fee sneakiness

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by ruralhipster, Sep 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was looking at changing my return leg on my flight from Vegas online.

Last time I did this a couple years back they charged me 50 dollars plus the difference in cost of the flight. Now that fee is up to $75 no big deal, par for the course with airlines.

New return leg is actually cheaper yet when I go to make the change instead of being 65 bucks, (75 dollars minus the 10 dollars the flight is less) the cost is 210 bucks, 60 dollars more than if I just booked the flight straight up.

Here's what I see happening: they are charging me on the difference of total fare (the outgoing leg as well even though I am not changing it).

Call it Shenanigans or dirty pool but this is a deceptive business practice and beyond the usual fee gouging in it's odiusness.

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some of the airlines now have a $200 change fee. Feel lucky.

By the way, some folks have learned it is sometimes better to book separate one way tickets in case one direction gets changed.

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guessing you either typed this wrong, or I read it wrong. But, if you are only paying $60 more than if you booked the flight "straight up", then that is only $10 more than the previous $50, and less than the current charge ($75).

4. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you are reading it wrong. booking the change in return leg would cost 210 dollars through the website. booking that same flight online as a seperate one way ticket costs 150

5. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's bogus. Who do they think they are, Air Canada????

6. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's my gripe.

I cancelled 2 Vegas flights in the spring. The change fee is $210, each. I rebooked my flights last week. I was also told the taxes have gone up. My cost is any additional increase in fare, plus all taxes, less the $210 per person. You can only rebook with an Air Canada agent. I had a promo code for 25% off, from a cancelled flight. You can only use a promo code on line at aircanada.com.

My original flight was return. If I had booked 2 one way flights, the change fee would have been on each leg.....so $420 per person.
    It makes you long for Southwest...no change fee and if you cancel your flight, the FULL credit s available to you.

7. GeorgeJ.

GeorgeJ. Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's the problem with having two one-ways if you need to change your flights....you get charged TWO change fees in that case. With my typical flights to Vegas, that $400 in change fees would totally eat up any advantage to changing the original flights...it's often cheaper just to throw that ticket away & rebook from scratch.

The one thing that saved me last year was that the original outbound flight was severely delayed. So I called shortly before the original departure time & asked for a refund. That one-way was under $200 so the ticket was useless to rebook from since it had negative value after the rebook fee..

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.