1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Weird food

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by evanston45, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evanston45

evanston45 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking for a place with really unusual food. For example, last trip we ate at a sushi place in the Cosmo where they took live shrimp and cut it in front of us, then fried the head for us to eat (I wasn't so adventurous). I've had true Japanese Kobe beef at another place which was a pretty cool experience. I'm going with a guy who likes to try really weird stuff like goat testicles or blowfish...any suggestions on where to go that has unique food?

2. larryg

larryg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go off Strip to Raku. In addition to being one of the top restaurants in town, it offers some unusual choices. Make sure to ask about the extensive list of specials. Some examples (most of these are specials, but they recur):
    (1) Live uni (sea urchin). Served in the shell, the roe was of course very good. Underneath was a broth flavored with more sea urchin, plus noodles and a little bit of salmon roe. Both tasty and fun.
    (2) Ayu kanroni. A small-to-medium-fish, served whole, boiled in soy sauce, sugar and something else; eat the head, fins, skin, everything. Interesting - a bit sweet for my taste, but interesting.
    (3) Seafood with bonito guts. An assortment of diced raw fish, salmon roe, uni, and bonito guts. It was a little salty, but quite good - not nearly as exotic as it sounds.
    (4) Grilled Kobe beef tongue. Obviously not true Kobe beef, but I'll save that rant for another day. It was very fatty, and only a little chewy. Odd, but good.

...and by the way, there is no "true Japanese Kobe beef" available in the United States. As noted by the Kobe Beef Marketing Association, none is exported to the United States (see http://www.kobe-niku.jp/english/contents/faq/index.html#a10 ). For more detail, see Wikipedia, or see http://home.comcast.net/%7Elasvegasvacation/Glossary-KobeBeef.html .

3. petp13

petp13 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Comme Ca in the Cosmo has some fairly unusual offerings; bone marrow with ox tail jam, offal, tongue, escargot. they also have regular food with a french flair. foodies love that place.

4. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
  5. evanston45

evanston45 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is great, thank you! As for Kobe, I had it before the ban which I heard is now lifted, so it should hopefully show up on menus again

6. larryg

larryg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You didn't have true Kobe before the ban -- it has never been available in the United States. Sadly, "Kobe" is sometimes used to refer to a number of products other than the real thing (e.g., Japanese wagyu from other prefectures, American wagyu, American hybrids). The link in my above message talks about that in more detail.

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Larryg is correct! You have never had real Kobe beef in the USA.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

What he said.

9. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Viva China taco at China Poblano (Cosmo) is beef tendon (with oysters, I think). I’m not terribly adventurous so that was plenty weird for me. It was tasty. But so chewy and sticky that I was picking it out of my teeth for the entire day.

10. ken2v

I think for most Americans, "weird" just looks like everyday eats w/i other cultures, as some of the answer here suggest. For some, shellfish is a stretch. Or if they'll do fried clams or even steamers, mussels or oysters are the next rung. Jimmy Dean is OK, blood sausage exotic, etc.

Aside from the stray bowl of menudo here there I've had here/there in town, we've had excellent sweetbreads at Pinot Brasserie and Bouchon Bistro, when offered as specials; don't think either are menu staples. Sweetbreads aren't exactly like eating live eel or something, but they're out there for many. I've not kept exactly meticulous notes over the more recent years, but we'll typically ask the sushi guys we'd frequent often just to add in what might've been unique and available that night.

Are there any offal-only restaurants in Vegas yet?

11. sammowhammo

sammowhammo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True - and interestingly most of that "weird" stuff is peasant food - organs, glands, intestines, etc. It's odd that people are paying a premium for the parts of an animal that for centuries were considered rubbish.

12. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is a vendor at our local farmer's market that sells goat meat. I stopped to talk to them about it last summer and they keep asking me if I'm ready to try it. I'm too skeered. :wink2:

13. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I learned how to make a kenyan goat stew last year - it was really good! (and damn simple too, if I could only remember more of the ingredients than "goat" and "tomatoes". Long slow cooking!!!

(this coming from someone who no longer eats lamb due to some unfortunate meals in Central Asia many years ago.....)

14. ken2v

Goat's OK. Always find it interesting how people have likes/aversions to certain critters. Why is a goat any different than a lamb or a pig or even a horse or a dog? The aversions are typically societal, of course, be that religion or culture based. (Excepting those with certain physical complications.)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  15. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In general, I don't like red meat very much - I don't eat lamb or mutton (aforementioned bad experiences), eat beef maybe once every month, eat bison once or twice a year, goat once a year. Poultry or pork - twice a week, and seafood or vegetarian the rest of the time. But sure, what we eat is what we grew up with which, a couple generations back was dictated by what was available locally, so.....In Peru, they love guinea pig. Whatever ;-)

16. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A couple of generations ago, lobster was considered "peasant food".

17. sammowhammo

sammowhammo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cockroaches of the sea - yuck!

18. gerry53

gerry53 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    we tried the soft shell crab sandwich at big al`s at orleans once and even found that weird eating the crab,shell and all.

19. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's what this woman and I were talking about. Apparently goat is a very popular meat in other countries. But, for me, it's like kale. I just can't make myself do it. :)

One of these days I'll find the perfect goat stew recipe and have to try it out. Just not a curry please. :haha:

20. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    goat curry is friggin awesome!! try it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.