1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Weekend trip away from 'Vegas'

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by FountainFiend, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FountainFiend

FountainFiend Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey all,

My wife and I are going to Las Vegas in May for 10 days to celebrate her graduation for a masters degree in Statistics. What better place to celebrate a graduate degree in Stats than Vegas?!

We are planning on coming in on a Wednesday and flying back on a Saturday or Sunday. In the middle, she wants to go away from the strip for a Friday and Saturday night to relax at a spa.

Here are the ideas we have, anyone have any ideas?. If you wanted to get 'away' from the strip for a couple of nights, where would you go for a relaxing weekend?

1) Lake Las Vegas - Westin Lake Las Vegas - I am Platinum with the Starwood (Westin) hotel chain and have more than enough points to cover it for free. I've heard really mixed things about this property, so I'm not for sure. It looks very nice, but I've heard mixed things.

2) Wynn Encore - It's on the end of the strip, so we feel like we won't be tempted to run to other properties all of the time. It's an easy commute (haha) up from the strip, and the Encore is extremely luxurious. For a weekend, it's $400/night for us to stay there. We have very limited play there, so I don't expect any good deals

3) Westin Kierland Scottsdale AZ - 4.5 hour drive from Las Vegas for the weekend. I have a deal there for 350 for 4 nights, so it would be economical for my weekend. It looks very nice, and I've always wanted to drive back to Las Vegas near dusk. I have a lot of free car rentals, so that isn't a huge deal, but the gas is expenisve.

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

We've stayed at LLV a number of times, both hotels and in the village. Westin is a beautiful property and the lake setting is nice. Rooms certainly aren't the largest or the most elaborate in town, but well appointed. The weak link there is, ironically, the spa. And once you are there, you are there, and ain't much going on.

The Strip is the Strip; no need for me to elaborate.

Kierland's a great property, been there a good half dozen times. Soooo much to do onsite and w/i walking distance, plus all the other goodies of Scottsdale right at hand. (And I'm not even thinking golf!!! lol)

If you have Starwood points and want another option, consider St. Regis Monarch Beach down in south Orange County.

3. FountainFiend

FountainFiend Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Ken!,

Thanks for the response! We actually spent our honeymoon at the Monarch Beach location, so we were considering it as well. As it is 3x as expensive as the Lake Las Vegas option (by points) and a little further away we were shying away, although it is my favorite resort I've been to so far.

Is there any options we haven't considered yet? You seem pretty well versed in all of our options. If you were a upper-20 something couple where would you go?

Thanks for your input!

4. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken - is there anything over in St George or other southern Utah that might be appropriate? I know there's the new Amangiri in southern Utah but that might be more $$ than you want...

5. ken2v

I think Kierland is a excellent option, given all that's to be found in Scottsdale and the greater valley. May starts getting a little warm but certainly do-able for someone who lives in the desert anyway. Another option is the Westin Mission Hills Resort in Rancho Mirage (Palm Springs area). Nice resort, fun drive getting there the back way across the Mojave. Might be a bit sleepy for young uns like you. Another AZ option is Westin La Paloma in Tucson. Beautiful property in the foothills. Excellent food onsite and there's a lot of life in/around UA and in an up-and-coming revitalized downtown. Bit more of a drive for you but we love the Old Pueblo.

How about mountains? Westin Monache in Mammoth is a qualifying timeshare property in the village. Not a lot of nightlife in Mammoth, particularly with the ski season winding down or wound down; still good eats all around and what a great setting for outdoor activities.

6. ken2v

From a Starwood perspective my guess is the only properties are more downline; no St. Regis, W, Westin, etc. The resorts that are there tend to be very spa/holistic oriented. And of course there are the cabins, lodges and hotels around Zion. Gorgeous area; I was up there last month. Great performing arts at Tuachan, and of course it is all about the outdoors up that way.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.