1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Week before a fight MGM how extra crazy does it get?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Tammy58, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just realized that there may be a fight at MGM on Sept 12. I am staying there Sun - Thurs before that. Read on another site this morning that the week before a fight can be super busy, people come in for the weigh in. I understand that fight day is nuts and I will be long gone by then. My question is the whole week before extra busy and crazy also? I have my best comp offer at MGM and flights are booked. If it is going to be a total mad house I will book elsewhere and give up my great comps.

2. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Crazy, although Mayweather/Paq might have been a recent high water mark even for fight weekends

3. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would disagree with Frank. Starting Friday (the day of the weigh in) it will get a bit crazy. On Thursday, when the OP leaves, it will start to get busy, but hardly crazy level. I was there the week before the May/Paq fight. Tuesday was not crazy (slow, actually). Wednesday was busier than a typical weekday, but still far from crazy. Thursday started to get hectic and things were nuts by Friday (when I left). And that was for the biggest fight in recent memory.

Mayweather's team/fans brings crowds, but they really won't take over until Friday

4. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't worry about it.

5. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People will start arriving Thursday for the weigh in and any press events Friday, thats about it. The UFC used to do a Fan Expo in the week before some of the really big fights, but I don't think they do those any more and the general boxing crowd isn't really the right demographic for something like that.

6. vacationaddict

vacationaddict Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You will be gone before the massive amounts of people start showing up

7. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was scared...I thought there might have been an official announcement. I still need to preemptively book the weekend of the 12th. Prices are already worse than Labor Day weekend, even without a fight officially looming. :(

8. azlefty

azlefty Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A somewhat reliable indicator of how crowded it will be is to check out the price calendar on the hotel's website. If they expect high occupancy, you will see high prices. If not, you will see low prices and probably more deals offered.

I don't think anything will come close to the Pacquiao Mayweather matchup, since hype had built for years, and most people seemed to come away disappointed.

9. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    not really that different IMO until Friday.

10. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks all. I am arriving Sun of Labor Day weekend, not my favorite time but the only dates we could work out. I knew Sun Mon would be crazy but was hoping for the relaxation of Tues, Weds. Someone on another site said the weigh in was on Tuesday ( I thought that sounded early ) hence my questioning tues, weds. Vegas when it is busy is better than no vegas at all :) Thanks for the input.

11. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I concur. I don't remember anything being exceptional until Friday, maybe a slight bit busier on Thursday, but not enough to really tell a difference.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.