1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

We met a Olympic gold medal winner in Seattle

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our first trip to Seattle and we went to the Mariner's game on Sunday (they won) and 3 young guys sit down in the row in front of us. Only reason we paid any attention was one of them was getting a sugar high.
    He started with ice cream, then a sno cone & finally cotton candy. When was the last time you saw an adult ordering cotton candy for themselves?

Anyway, about the 3rd inning an employee from Safeco Field comes and sits next to him and they chat for a minute. She leaves and about an inning later, 2 employees come down with a goody bag of gifts. Turns out he was Nathan Adrian, 3 time gold medal winner ( 2 in 2012) in swimming and he lives in the Seattle area. I guess after all that training, you need to binge a little.

Once people figured out who he was, they started bringing their kids over for pictures with him. Very nice guy and very patient with all the photo requests, including my wife's.

[​IMG]

I asked if he got free tickets and that's how they knew he was there. He paid for the tickets and had no clue how they spotted him. Sharp eyed spectator, or TV crew maybe?

The other funny was the goody bag contained a bobble head doll of Ichiro, who the Mariners traded at the end of July to the Yankees. C’mon!

We enjoyed Seattle and the downtown area is certainly eclectic. Besides the Mariner’s game did a boat tour; the aquarium; Space Needle; Pike Market & of course way too much food and drink.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are they still trying to get rid of those Ichiro Bobbleheads? :haha: Too funny.

The other day I ran to the Verizon Store nearby to grab a car charger. Should have taken 2 minutes, but the store was PACKED with people. Nathan Adrian was in there signing autographs. He's a great kid, but I went somewhere else.

How was the rest of your trip?

3. LadyRose

LadyRose High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He seemed like a nice guy in the TV interviews. Not bad looking either ;)
    Sounds like a fun trip.

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had an enjoyable time. Besides the Mariner's game, went to Pike Market twice, had a crappy meal at the Space Needle, but totally enjoyed the view.

Using the Entertainment Book, we had a bogo for the Aquarium and neither of us could remember the last time we were in one. Very nice!

On the advice of a board member, we also dined at Lowell's and really enjoyed that view also! Ken2V said to make sure we tried Beecher's mac & cheese and he was right!:thumbsup:

Free bus service downtown is great, but it looks like that is going to be ending. We also found a great Italian restaurant close to the hotel and ended up eating there twice.
    http://www.assaggioseattle.com/
    Great food & service. The owner constantly walking through the place to check on everybody.

Expensive place to live or visit:poke:

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  5. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That Mac & Cheese is something else, isn't it? I have walked by Assaggio before, but we've never been in. I guess I need to add it to the list. There's a tiki bar in that same neighborhood that we love. I never can remember the name of it. I am just sort of drawn to it once we get somewhere around 4th and Wall. :)

I grew up going to the aquarium in San Francisco and Monterey Bay Aquarium, so I consider myself pretty spoiled. I was worried the Seattle one would be a disappointment, but I really had a good time there. We grabbed a Groupon that made it too good of a deal and hiked ourselves down there. I wish we had left for lunch instead of eating at their cafeteria, but it was a fun visit.

Do you really think it's more expensive than other cities? It's a city, so it's more than the Super 8 in Hooterville, but I don't think it's as bad as NYC, LA or SF by far. However, if you think that it's expensive here, I agree... better hit that Donate button so I can survive. :poke:

Glad you enjoyed your trip!

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Assaggio...We're walking down the street opposite direction from the restaurant and the owner is out for his morning jog/walk and remembers us from the night before and again thanks us for coming in. Just a nice touch and the food was very good.

Prices...We live in the burbs and don't get into downtown Milwaukee much, but yes to us, a $11-$12 burger is a lot. Many of the entrees we ordered at different places also quite a bit higher than we are used to. So maybe we're out of touch and RFB in Vegas spoils us a bit. Still, I've never paid $11 for a glass of house wine before this trip.

We did go to the Five Points and there a cheeseburger was $8.75, but it is a dive! Nothing wrong there, just saying... When you have a slogan of "alcoholics serving alcoholics since 1929", I wasn't expecting much and it was fine. Food was good.

We had a good time! Right or wrong my impression was pricey. Did I mention the $11 Pyramid beer in the stands at Safeco? Jeez, they make it across the street from the ballpark.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  7. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh at Safeco is absolutely ridiculous. Dan used to work right across from the entrance to the Seahawks Stadium and you'd think he could grab a fun and cheap lunch with the vendors out there? NOPE. And it's 10x worse inside. I'm too cheap for that.

$11 house wine is a bit steep, but I've seen worse. I agree that we do get spoiled by Vegas. When I have to book a hotel in another city I'm always surprised by the crappy rooms that are 2-3x the cost of a good Vegas room. Even worse if you're comped regularly somewhere.

Glad you had a fun trip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.