1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

We crash a UFO on our lawn for Halloween - pics

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by VegasChic-, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasChic-

VegasChic- VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, when not planning trips to Vegas, our family tends to go all out for holidays.....with a young family we believe it's all about making memories. So, when I stumbled across some pics on the net, we decided to run with it. I asked a friend who is an amazing master craftsman to build us a spaceship. I bought all the supplies, and he put the whole thing together for us. The result was really quite stunning, I would say it is at least movie set quality. It took 100's of hours to put together, and it's a beast, 9 feet round. And no, it doesn't un-assemble. (don't ask what we do with it out of season, especially since our garage only has 8 foot doors, separating each car with columns, whoops, doesn't fit, lol!) It's built on the angle to give it the appearance it crashed, and we add sod to the impact area to finish the effect, as well as some random aliens to the yard.

It ended up actually drawing some local media attraction last year, all the neighbourhood kids loved it. Nightly we would keep the hatch open, set the fog machines, pipe out eerie music from the house, and kids were welcome to enter the UFO. There are working buttons inside that change the light scheme fort the control panel. It fits comfortably 2 kids around 8 years old, one more if they squish! We ended up with about 300 trick or treaters last year. Our whole family dressed as various sic-fi or alien creatures, and it was a lot of fun to create.

The spaceship crashed once again into our yard this year, and hope that the kids enjoy what is likely to be a tradition each year for us!

I've tried loading a 1 minute video of the full effect with everything going, but not having luck on that yet! If I can figure it out, I'll add it later!

Happy Halloween VMB!

Attached Files:

2. La$Vega$

La$Vega$ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very funny!

3. user3657

user3657 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That thing is bad ass!

4. donfairplay

donfairplay Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is awesome!

I love the lighting on it, true craftsmanship.

5. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On year we made a stuffed person at school for a Halloween art project. When I brought it home my father set up a fairly realistic scene by dropping a car on the guy in the driveway. My father always had an awful looking old muscle car he drove to work, red primer and just nasty looking. And a "project" car that was even worse. He rolled the project car up closer to the street, took a wheel off, stuck my stuffed dude under there and lowered the car on him. A little ketchup and you're there. No other Halloween stuff around either. Just casual, dude under the car laying dead. Somehow my parents didn't fight on Halloween, like ever. My mother didn't like it but she kept her mouth shut. Another miracle. And the cops that showed up had a good chuckle over it. It was pretty impressive for a small town in the early 80's.

Forgot to mention. Your alien set up is awesome.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  6. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very cool! Great job!

Super Bowl Weekend for a Bachelor Party!
  7. Jordan

Jordan Caveman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is simply AWESOME!!!! I thought I was going all-out this year building a replica Flintstone's car as a prop for me and the wife for a party on Saturday night...

Here is some pics of the project in progress, I have only 3 (nights) left to complete it...wish me luck!

IMG_20141027_181417_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20141027_181429.jpg
    IMG_20141027_181436.jpg
    IMG_20141027_181444.jpg

8. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

That is awesome! Wish I was in your area, so I could check it out! Thanks for sharing the pics! Very high quality craftsmanship!

9. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love these ideas! Such refreshing and clever ideas away from the normal ghoulish set-ups.

10. VegasChic-

VegasChic- VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love it! I hope there are prizes to what you are going to....brilliant!!!

We had a party in Cape Breton this summer for my husbands birthday, he said he took care of the ice. It showed up on the day, trucks with these huge containers. He had 700 lbs of ice delivered, not even sure how, but they gave it for free and, delivery free as well. I started to realize we sometimes go a little over what's likely necessary.....love to see we're not the only ones who do it!!!

Please post pics when car complete!!

11. VegasChic-

VegasChic- VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's funny.....love tho one's you don't "expect" to come across!

12. Jordan

Jordan Caveman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    hahaha, will do!

Cheers...Brian

13. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love it!

Years and years ago we had a reading contest at school and my sister "won" an inflatable Cousin Itt robot thing. My mother drags it out every year for halloween. It barely moves now, but it has a little tray we attached to it and it brings candy to the door. I love it when it scares the little ones.

Since we moved to a more rural area, we don't really do halloween anymore. Nobody comes to the house. We have a really great "trick or treat" event in town where all the kids dress up and go from shop to shop downtown. Not quite the same.

One year we got 3 teenagers who showed up at our house in regular clothes. Dan gave them candy, but I was shouting from the balcony that they didn't even try to wear a costume so they shouldn't get any. :)

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.