1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

WAX bus and McCarran question

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by raisingoo, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raisingoo

raisingoo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, here's the deal... Early morning flight out of LAS, scheduled departure is 7:10am on a Thursday. I am staying downtown. I can see that I can pick up the WAX bus outside of Binion's at 5:19am and it arrives at McCarran Terminal 3 at 5:49am.

But then I have to go to Terminal 1 from Terminal 3. McCarran's website says shuttles run "every 12 to 15 minutes" between the terminals. So I figure if this is correct, I'll get to Terminal 1 no later than 6:04am, over an hour before my plane is scheduled to leave.

But before then, I have to print my boarding pass and get through security. And, of course, this is assuming that everything is on time.

So, good plan or not-so-good plan?

If it matters: No checked baggage (just one carryon) and no physical limitations (I can walk fast/run); domestic flight (not international); and I'm hoping that this early in the morning, it will be a "quiet" time.

Am I taking risks here? Should I ditch the plan and go for a cab instead just to be safe?

2. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Super Bowl Weekend for a Bachelor Party!
  3. jimboguy

jimboguy Blubbery Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is true. The WAX will arrive at Terminal 1 about three minutes prior to its scheduled arrival at Terminal 3. Since you're not checking bags, there are boarding pass kiosks at the top of the escalator once you enter the airport.

If I was facing this situation, I would be comfortable taking the WAX instead of a cab. Solo + not checking bags + domestic flight = arrival at LAS 75 minutes prior to departure.

What airline will you be flying? The C gate entrance that you can access from the Zero Level (i.e. where the WAX drops off) is almost like a secret passage way with almost always a small security line. You'd be through in a jiffy. If you're on another airline, you should still be alright, just a little bit of a longer line than the C gate line.
    In my limited experience, security lines at LAS are longer earlier in the morning - but I've never faced a crazy long wait time (although I'm sure other VMBers have experiences to share).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  4. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My last trip out on a Thursday morning wasn't too bad. But, there was a good long line to go through security. I took Allegiant, and the flight left at 7:30am from the A gates... well, until they had to move us to the B gates. It looks like all of Allegiants flights leave that early, so there's a lot of people flying out at the same time. About 25-30 outside checking in, and about 40 inside doing the same thing. And, probably about 20 in the security line. If you can, I'd suggest using your smartphone for your boarding pass. That way you don't even have to wait in line to do that. But, I think you'll have enough time to get through security if you get there almost a hour and a half before your flight.

5. kansaisupra

kansaisupra Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I take this flight every Friday morning, Terminal 3 United. That is plenty of time. You should be all good. If at bare worst your running late just tell the TSA agent my plane is leaving now can I cut through.

But honestly you can get off the WAX, get through security, take the train and get to the gate in about 20 minutes. The biggest variable is security but since its the am and not Sunday evening, you should be all good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.