1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Wages/healthcare

Discussion in 'Living in Sin (City that is)' started by Joe, May 18, 2016.

1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The good: Nevada’s average weekly wage reached $935 for the fourth quarter in 2015, the highest on record.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/business/economy/nevada-average-weekly-wage-935-highest-record

The not so good:

The Las Vegas area tumbled 10 spots this year to land near the bottom of a list ranking the health and community fitness of the nation’s 50 most populated metropolitan areas.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/life/health/las-vegas-valley-falls-national-health-and-community-fitness-ranking

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  2. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. pleepleus

pleepleus 2016 - The monkey is back

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Clark County is also the worst school district in the country.

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't looked since we moved out in 2010, but at that time it was the fourth largest school district in the country and had a HS graduation rate of 46%! At the time my comment was what do 54% do for money in a town with double digit unemployment.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  5. pleepleus

pleepleus 2016 - The monkey is back

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Older article... I misquoted. The whole state of Nevada is the worst.

http://m.reviewjournal.com/news/education/nevada-education-ranked-last-nation

6. azbob

azbob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pouring a lot of money into the school district this year to hire teachers and upgrade facilities...big push to overtake Mississippi to gently land in 49th place.

The other item to look up on the negative side is that about 1-2 pedestrians are killed per week and, if they make it home safely, the city is on pace for the highest number of murders ever. Just make sure you live in Henderson or Summerlin.

Unfortunately, Las Vegas just does not have any foundational industry that generates millions and millions of dollars that possibly could fund improvements in the schools or personal safety. Maybe after they build the $1.6billion dollar stadium for the Raiders and welcome the influx of fans of the silver and black we can get some of these issues under control.

7. abraxis

abraxis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I gotta admit that this made me chuckle

8. Danielle

Danielle Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So it has it's good sides and it's bad sides. I"m sure that that can be said with most places in the U.S. If you're fine with not so great health care, then this is the place for you.

9. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We came in at #2. At least we get something for the high property taxes we pay.

10. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's true... Mississippi (sometimes Alabama or Louisiana) and Nevada duke it out for last place on every "good" list there is. We also generally fight for 1st place on every bad list. Legislation was recently passed to allow Clark County School District to be broken-up into four-(4) separate districts. We'll see if it improves things.