1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker VP Question - MGM $5 Progressive

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by Riders, Dec 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riders

Riders High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just wanted to see if the VP experts can help me out on something.

There are a few $5 Progressive VP machines at MGM and on my last trip they were up a lot from my view. I generally just play DDB but the Progressive is across all games.

I am hoping someone can tell me how much does a $24,956 royal progressive on a 9/5 DDB machine lower the house edge.

It used to be 9/6 JoB but is now 8/5 so I am sure it helps there too but I don't play that any more but maybe I should.

Thanks

2. Tubbs

Tubbs High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    By my calculations the return is increased from 97.87% to 98.39% with the progressive on the 9/5 DDB game. So about 0.5% increase but it's still an awful return for a $5 game, even on the strip.

3. mrstealth

mrstealth High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yeah, the royal is just to hard to hit to make that even remotely interesting at this point. Remember also, that at the $5 level of ddb you generate a W-2 at every Quad, and straight flush, so depending on how they handle it can really slow down your play.

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Generally with royal flush progressives, each extra half a royal payout ups the game about a "paytable notch".

So 9/5 DDB with a $30k royal (98.97%) is about the same return as a 9/6 DDB with a $20k royal (98.98%).

For the payout you gave, tubbs has the right number. This assumes you make the proper strategy adjustments of course. Like going for the royal over a pair of Kings-Jacks when you have 3 to a royal with at least 2 face cards.

mrstealth makes another good point, a W2 on every quad with DDB. If they offered 7/5 bonus, that would have a slightly higher payback and only have tax forms on quad Aces or better. 8/5 JoB is a weaker choice than 9/5 DDB.

Generally though, at that level, I'd rather find a full pay game of some sort.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.