1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker VP: DSTP vs. Hot Roll - why the extra credits?

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by BreakEven, Jan 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BreakEven

BreakEven Low-Roller

Feb 5, 2011
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of the VP games that have some sort of side benefit, like a multiplier in STP/DSTP, take 1 extra credit per line (ok, well 2 for DSTP, but you get what I mean).

For ultimate X, I understand the extra credits, since it's a guaranteed multiplier for any winning hand.

But for something like Hot Roll, why 5 extra credits per line? My impression when playing is that it doesn't seem any more likely to hit than the multiplier on STP/DSTP.
    Only 2nd trip for year :(
  2. Bondy3

Bondy3 Low-Roller

Jan 28, 2013
    Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Jan 21, 2013
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's possible you've run a little bad with hot roll multipliers compared to Double STP.

According to the DSTP rules, the probability of getting a deal or draw multiplier is 1 in 15 each. So the probability of getting at least one of the multipliers is:

1 - (14/15)(14/15) = 29/225 = 1 in 7.76.

According to IGT, the probability of getting a hot roll is 1 in 6. So it should be a bit more frequent.

The bigger reason that you have to pay 5 more coins is that the average multiplier in hot roll MUST be 7X by law since dice are depicted. The average deal and draw multipliers in Double STP are only 4.01X each.

So when you hit the hot roll multiplier, you're more likely to encounter bigger hits. I tend to think of this game as "STP on Steroids".

The one thing I don't like about "Hot Roll" is that IGT decided to make the "Hot Roll" probability exactly 1 in 6. This means the "Hot Roll" feature adds nothing to the game's percentage return.

The thing I do like about the game is they forbid very poor paytables in its programming. If the game has JoB on it, it must be at least 8/5 (97.3%), same with Bonus Deluxe (97.4%), and DDB (96.79%). On the other side of the coin, the max the machine can be set at is 40/10/6 DDB (99.96%). Best I've seen so far is gold coast at 8/5 Bonus (99.17%) at quarters. They also have 7/5 Bonus (98.01%) at nickels.

Also you can bet 5 on any number of lines on it. But unfortunately you have to max bet all lines for the feature.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.