1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vintage Vegas Pics

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by blackjack, Dec 6, 2005.

1. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's amazing how much different it looks now. I realize it's 18 years, but still....

I wonder how much different the strip will look in 2033?!

July 19th - July 24th
  2. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. sigsev

sigsev Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bahahaha. God that was an awful movie.

4. harveyd63

harveyd63 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love looking at old Vegas pics. I also like the old Vegas videos I see on YouTube also.

5. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What movie is that?

July 19th - July 24th
  6. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the Resident Evil movies. I never saw it, just remember the trailers with the Vegas scenes.

7. lungston

lungston Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    it's always a struggle to believe that things will change as much in the next 18, 50, 100 years as they have changed in the past 18, 50, or 100 years. vegas is definitely in a slower pace of change right now because of the lingering effects of the great recession and competition with macau.

8. MisplacedTexan

MisplacedTexan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This isn't specifically on topic, but I thought I'd share it anyway. This weekend, my aunt gave me a pic of my dad standing in front of a Bally's Triple 7 slot in Las Vegas after he'd won a $150 jackpot. Adjusted for inflation, that's around $1,100 in today's money. Apparently it was a big deal back in the day!

dad_vegas.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. MGMGrand

MGMGrand Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was so cool looking at those pics. Thanks to all who posted.

10. Sophiaroberta

Sophiaroberta Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
  11. NvrSumR

NvrSumR Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love love love this thread.

But why don't we a thread just for recent Vegas pics?

12. mattjs33

mattjs33 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello all, still a relative newbie here, but this thread seems like fun. Here are some photos I took on the evening of Thursday, April 8, 1993. I only stayed one night at Caesars; I was on an epic 17-day road trip around the western U.S.

What's funny to me is that at the time, I remember being "underwhelmed" by Vegas, and it would be 12 years before I ever went back. Of course I was travelling alone and not by nature a gambler. Naturally since then I've become a huge fan.

It's fascinating to see these pictures now. Not only is Caesars so different, but TI was still under construction (see covered walkway). What else do you see?

Sexton0000211A.jpg Sexton0000212A.jpg Sexton0000213A.jpg Sexton0000214A.jpg Sexton0000215A.jpg Sexton0000216A.jpg Sexton0000217A.jpg Sexton0000218A.jpg Sexton0000219A.jpg Sexton0000220A.jpg Sexton0000221A.jpg Sexton0000222A.jpg Sexton0000223A.jpg

13. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like the old pic of the Sands

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  14. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, love the older pictures! Some of them were taken before I was born. Anyone know where those members of the site are now and why they dont post anymore? Im sure they have some good info about vegas back then.

Btw, why did post show up in my feed? Post before mine was back in september.

15. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm still here. Blackjack started the thread but doesn't come around much anymore. My wife and I still go to Vegas at least twice a year. Our first trip was back in 1978 and we stayed at The Marina which is still part of MGM Grand. It was a different world back then. You had to tip the maître d when you went to shows. The bigger the tip the better the seat. We saw Tony Orlando and upon entering, the maître d waved us off and didn't even take a tip because all the seating that was left was in the nose bleed section. The early bird gets the worm. Keno runners were abundant at all the cafes. One thing that hasn't changed a whole lot are table minimums. Five dollar tables were plentiful back then but are still around today. Just not as many on the strip. Of course the comp system was totally different. I think I like today in that you get points for playing slots and video poker. Table games were more the way to get anything back then.

I think downtown still gives off the old Vegas vibe. I do like the way the strip has reinvented itself. Basically I like Vegas then and now. Buffets, gambling, cheap rooms, looking for where the deals are. There really were no "gimmicks" back then. It was a gambling town. They didn't want you sitting in a club. They wanted you to gamble. Even though I can now gamble almost anywhere, Vegas is still my favorite gambling destination. The changes will keep coming. We have to roll with the punches.

16. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Im sure and sounds like you have a wealth of information. If you have any other photos to share, that would be great! I can only imagine how it was back in the "old days".

17. vegasvette

vegasvette High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i just revisited this thread, since it's quite old. The pictures posted bring back very fond memories. I can see the Frontier sign, as well as the Desert Inn sign across the street. the Sands still also brings back older memories. It was the real rat pack stuff kind of place. Those walks from the Stardust (about the location of the camera) south to the Sands seemed like wasteland at that time. thanks for posting those pictures.

18. Dundey

Dundey Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great stuff guys! Thanks for the memories.

19. Ben Jammin

Ben Jammin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    see inoldlasvegas.com

20. DharmaForOne

DharmaForOne Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's the opening credits of Elvis' Viva Las Vegas movie. It contains a lot of footage of old Fremont street.

• Like Like x 1