1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Veterans day

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by redzone, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redzone

redzone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are there any special events going on for Veterans day that you know of?

Maybe a parade or memorial. Here in Canada it is remembrance day but we would like to honour our American brothers while in Las Vegas.

2. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Redzone, you're a great neighbor and we appreciate your sentiments. Have a great time in Las Vegas!!!:peace:

Annual Summer Bliss in the Land of Milk and Honey!!!
  3. cw247

cw247 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great question redzone. I will also be in town on the 11th, and wear the poppy proudly.

A question for our American friends, Is it appropriate to wear a poppy on Veterans day. I seem to recall that this symbol is traditionally associated to Memorial Day. I would not want to offend anyone if wearing it is considered Inappropriate.

4. HAWJOHN

HAWJOHN Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The poppy (now called buddy poppy) is never inappopriate when worn with dignity in remembrance of our fallen comrades. It is the memorial flower of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. The American Legion has also now adopted the poppy. The buddy poppy started during a Memorial Day Weekend (late May) and now also seen during Veterans Day (November 11) at some locations. When one of our VFW members was laid to rest, we wore the buddy poppy.

Concerning Las Vegas, I would say that there most likely will be a celebration. Would recommend googling to check.

5. atcmurph

atcmurph Watcher Of The Skies

Trips to Las Vegas:
  6. cw247

cw247 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    HAWJOHN & atcmurph, thanks for the clarification and the link

7. waverunner

waverunner BBHMM

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will be in Vegas beginning Sunday-Fri. I plan on going Downtown Mon. to watch the parade. My dad was a Navy veteran and served on Ammunition Ships in the Mediterranean and South China seas. I was born in the Chelsea Naval Hospital for $1.
    That same day i am driving to Red Rock Canyon and remembering my dad as part of his ashes are forever blowing in the wind.
    I am not driving to Vegas from LA, but will be able to rent a car in Vegas for the first time since i had my minor stroke. Honoring Veterans and my Dad is something very important to me..........and not just one day, but every day.

8. redzone

redzone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perfect. Thanks atcmurph. :thumbsup:

Mike from Pensecola, We will have a great time in Vegas and are looking forward to the parade. My cousin Rick was a soldier who served a term in Vietnam. He survived there but ironically he was shot and died on the streets of West Palm Beach during a bar brawl two nights before he was to go back for a second term. 1968.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.