1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas when it's cold...

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Electroguy563, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When is the best time to visit Vegas at it's coldest? I love Vegas cold weather. I've been there during Christmas week. It was cold! Any other time when it's colder?

I'm thinking of planning a trip at the end of the year, can't decide on Dec., Jan., or Feb. Already know how the weather is in Nov.

Colder the better!

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
  2. Ronoh

Ronoh Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Coldest "month" is mid December to mid January

3. waverunner

waverunner BBHMM

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would go in mid January. There will probably be snow on the local mountains like at Red Rock Canyon and especially Mt.Charleston. Also, if the weather is dry, it will probably be pleasant during the day (mid 60's) and in the evening a jacket or sweater, but still nice to walk around the Strip if it's dry.
    This isn't Wisconsin.

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you went at the coldest time period already. The average high/low is 56F/38F from Dec. 14th to Jan. 1st, the lowest all year.

I have went to Vegas from Dec. 1st-6th and Dec. 10th-14th. I definitely liked 1st-6th better. Pretty sure I walked in sub 40 temps on the latter trip.

5. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like Vegas when it's cooler as well, went once in July and I'll never do that again. I now avoid the months of April-Sept.

6. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Planning a trip Dec 21-24 myself for my first ever Vegas winter trip. Im guessing the cold is similar to Tahoe?

7. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did Jan 1st - 5th in 2009 - and absolutely loved it. It didn't get above 40 the whole time we were there, and there were a few nights in the 20's. Wife hated it, I loved it. Coming from a climate that is 90 degrees w/ 60+ percent humidity in OCTOBER :grrr:, cold weather is a welcome change for me.. I really enjoy it. I'd say try late January/early Feb and see how that is.

8. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People from Lake Tahoe go to Las Vegas during the Winter to warm up. The average Lake Tahoe low in December is 17 F and it's 16 F in February.

The average low in December and January in Las Vegas is 39 F.

Bill

9. MisplacedTexan

MisplacedTexan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were there one year during Thanksgiving week and it snowed! Not like big, serious snow or anything, but we were walking the Strip and a few small flurries started floating down. Kinda surreal.

10. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would love to be in Vegas when it's snowing! Of course I'd love to be in Vegas anyway.

I was in Vegas over Christmas last year and I wore a light jacket during the day. In the evening I wore a sports jacket. I felt fine.

Super Bowl Weekend for a Bachelor Party!
  11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some scoff at this, but we all know about dry Vegas heat, but there is also dry cold. 32 degrees in winter in Vegas, feels a lot colder than 32 back here. Not scientific, just an observation after spending two winters there.

Btw, the winter of 2008/09, we got 4 " of snow at our house and in the higher elevations of Henderson, some places got 8". All gone in a day of course.
    By the time we got out, a lot had already melted, but was this was the view at Silverstone GC.

[​IMG]

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  12. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep. That's why I like Vegas in the cold months. Right now in Hawaii the temps are 87 to 89 and God knows what kind of humidity. It's nuts.:grrr:

Many would say "Lucky we live in Hawaii" and to a great extent it's true. I guess I lived here all my life, the weather changes very little here, I yearn for a cold nip in the cheek. Doesn't help that I work construction and am in the sun all hrs. of the day... try working in a new building with the walls blocking the wind and the A.C. not installed yet. Crazy. I've worked with workers from where you are and they laugh at me when I complain. It's worse where you are, for sure.

I went to Vegas this past July on a solo trip. The temps were in the 107's and I wasn't bothered too much at all.:thumbsup:

13. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope I get to see this one day. Snow in the desert. That would be neat, for sure.

Only two times I experienced snow in my life. 1st was when I went to basic training at Ft. Knox, KY back in '82.

2nd time was when my unit went to Korea in '83.

Naturally both times were not fun......

14. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Trust me electro, before I fucked my life up and opened a couple of restaurants, I spent many moons in the construction industry here in Florida. Kind of a family thing for us. All summer vacations, all spring, Thanksgiving, and Christmas breaks were spent humping drywall, metal frames, finishing mud, spotting nails, framing etc etc. So I know what being in an AC free dried in building is like during the summer. This is precisely why I vacation in the winter months - to get away from "paradise."

I'll take Las Vegas heat over Florida heat any day. It's currently 92 degrees here and the humidity is @ 69%..:grrr:

15. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:

Yikes!!!!:eek::faint:

16. DMSCR

DMSCR High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Late November to January/early February. LOVE this time of year in Vegas.

17. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:

Wow, you would never imagine this picture is one that came from the desert! Very cool!

18. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, that is so hard for me to comprehend! I coudln't image not going skiiing, sledding, snow ball fighting, drifting my car through town etc.

19. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol! My first time seeing snow at basic training my buddy (who never saw snow either) were building snow men and having snowball fights on the side of the road.

Drill Sergeant walked up and chastised us for being childish and immature. Mentioned something like we acted like we never saw snow before. Then he made us drop and do a hundred push-ups, lol!

20. waverunner

waverunner BBHMM

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in LA and used to go surfing in the morning at MB and in the afternoon go up to Mt. Baldy to snowboard.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.