1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas Virgin with big 40th birthday plans!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by Digi, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digi

Digi Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all!

I thought I would introduce myself as I'm sure I'm going to be around for a while! I'm Christina, I live in England and have grand ideas for my 40th next August. I've been with my hubby for the last 10 years and, although he is English, lived in California for a few years so he has been to Vegas a few times and I have spent the last 10 years hearing how much I would fall in love with the place

So, we have over 12 months to prepare for the big 4-0... and not a clue where to start! The idea is to stay 3 weeks starting in Vegas, finishing in Vegas, and with a big adventure in between! We are big U2 fans and I have some stuff I want to tick off my bucket list - visiting The (now fallen) Joshua Tree from the album artwork (just outside Death Valley at the side of the 190) is one of them, along with seeing the sunset at Zabriskie Point and a trip to Bodie. Hubby also raves about how much I would love San Fran so perhaps we will go Vegas - Death Valley - Yosemite - San Fran and then either head down the PCH and back across to Vegas or just fly directly back to Vegas... I'm not too sure yet as I have been to California before and seen the major 'sights'. Add in the Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon and the 101 shows I'd like to see... and 21 nights seem nothing at all!

I'm not too sure of the actual dates we will be travelling yet - Probably the last week in August/first 2 weeks September. My son turns 18 and will be heading off to University next September so our dates depend on when his academic year will start although it will be just me and hubby on the trip. My son is too busy planning a holiday abroad with his mates next summer! :)

This is going to be a once in a lifetime sort of trip so I really could do with all the help and suggestions I can get!

2. cloudi63

cloudi63 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That should be one heck of a 40th celebration! You already seem to have some awesome plans, put into place! What kind of foods do you like? do you enjoy walking? I ask this, since it seems, in Vegas no matter what, lots of walking is usually involved. Do you plan on upscale accommodations, in between or do I dare say divey...lol, is that even a word "divey".

3. Red18andRed23

Red18andRed23 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds great..have tonnes of fun planning the big trip :)

4. Digi

Digi Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not 39 yet and I'm wishing the next year away! LOL! We are pretty easy going - and we will eat anything (as my butt will testify!) I'm the kind of girl who will eat cheap one day so we can splurge the next. Same goes for hotels - I'll quite happily spend 5 nights in a not so great hotel so we can afford 5 nights in a fantastic hotel. I'm good with walking too - to give you an idea, I'm just back from Tenerife who were in the middle of a calima (sorry if I sound patronising, but its the dust that blows over from the Sahara and sends temperatures rocketing). Temperatures were topping 100 and I was good for walking 5 miles or so along the coast... so long as I can stop along the way for drinks etc. My major worry is driving... I think the plan is to only get the car when we need to leave Vegas. I'm not sure I see the point of it being parked up doing nothing when public transport seems so accessible.... and I have heard SO many good things about the cocktails... Who wants to be stuck behind the wheel?! Not sure why I should be nervous about driving - I've been doing it for 20 years and have driven in Florida, Canada, Cali and Hawaii so Vegas shouldn't be much different right? RIGHT? :)

I am have heaps of fun already! Hubby has already started rolling his eyes :rolleyes2: He makes me chuckle!! He's very much a 'pack 20 minutes before heading out the airport' kind of guy whereas I like to research... and research... and research a bit more... and go and buy pretty colour coordinated folders and highlighter pens to organise my research... You get the picture?! He'll thank me next year when I'm doing the $20 trick blah blah blah!! :evillaugh

5. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas Bookends

I love the idea of making Vegas the bookends of a trip, we did that when we flew to New Zealand for my 50th....start out in a nice hotel, have an adventure, and end up back in a nice hotel.

If you have the road trip/gambling bug and want some more desert scenery you can always head north through Death Valley all the way to the Reno area and then drop south to San Francisco, but that's a lot of driving.

I'm a road trip guy so I wouldn't ditch the car, I'd keep it and drive all the way back to Vegas....the freedom of the open road and all :) :) :)

Sounds like a great trip no matter how you slice it.......and of course you might win enough to pay for the whole trip on your first day here !:woohoo:

6. Digi

Digi Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:

Yeah - I love driving, but there is only me who drives. Hubby has never learned and has no intention of learning when idiot - sorry - I mean Wifey here will be his unofficial taxi! How someone can get to 42 without being able to drive is beyond me but that is a whole different post in a whole different forum! We had originally toyed with the idea of doing Route 66 but when I looked into some more I figured we wouldn't really get to see a whole lot of anything in 3 weeks... There wasn't really any flexibility to stay longer in one place then double the driving the next with only me behind the wheel and hubby is absolutely adamant with his 'Christina, you will NOT want to leave Vegas to go elsewhere'. I guess he knows me pretty well! This way, if we don't really plan hard, we get to call the shots as we go. We may decide not to bother with San Fran and head back early or whatever... Although I DO really want to go and see The Winchester Mystery House in San Jose.... I read way too much stuff on American history! Whatever way - I'm going to hit my 40's taking part in a huge adventure!

7. Beach Crazy

Beach Crazy Hostess With the Mostess

First of all, welcome to the board Christina! You have certainly come to the right place for up to date Vegas info. Your trip sounds awesome! I do have to agree with the hubby....you won't want to leave. It's do bad you can't fit everything in that you want to do but you can always come back. Good luck with your planning. :thumbsup:

8. Red18andRed23

Red18andRed23 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I totally get it...we are heading to Vegas in February 2013 and all I want to do is research!! LOL...our flights are booked...soooo pretty excited :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.