1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas Trip Dilemma

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by UncleBen, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UncleBen

UncleBen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So 2012 was my first Vegas trip from The UK and last month was my second visit, this time with just me and a buddy.
    We have at least 6 of us coming over in 2016 but in the mean time my buddy and I are also 'sneaking' in a 2015 trip.
    That was until earlier this week when he said he wouldn't be coming next year and is saving himself for 2016 with the rest of the group.

As excited as I am about 2016 I feel I really need to get my trip in next year. The kind of friends I consider close enough to go on vacation with are coming in 2016 and won't be able to make 2015.

I'm fairly outgoing and stayed out after my buddy had gone to bed last time and chatted to a few people here and there. I do enjoy my own company but is a solo trip all the way 'across the pond' a good idea?

I'm already warming to the idea and I guess this board is only going to encourage me further but I thought I would throw it out there and see if anybody had any comments or experience of this themselves?

2. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you answered your own question. Some people need a support group to really enjoy themselves and some people always have a good time. My wife had no interest in LV so all of my trips but three were solo and I had a good time in every one. The three that I did not come solo, I took each of my kids when they were in high school and I also had a great time with them.

So if you want to come next year and can afford the expense, come and have a great time. there are plenty of solo folks there of all age groups and places that cater to the young, and every other group. You will do fine, or, find another one of your friends to accompany you.

Jimbo338

3. UncleBen

UncleBen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Jimbo. As I was writing the post I was thinking that I had already made up my mind!

4. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As Jimbo wrote, " … there are plenty of solo folks there of all age groups." Not only that, but many folks actually prefer going solo! I've made many solo trips myself, and nearly half my companion trips still involve one to three nights alone.

Sure, it can get a bit lonely at times, but being able to do whatever you want whenever you want more than compensates. Especially when faced with the choice of not going at all, solo wins every time!

5. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've taken short solo trips to both Vegas and Atlantic City but that's a whole lot different than going solo to say London.
    I assume you will be traveling for at least a week right? That's a long time not to be able to share the experience with someone.
    2015 is a ways off so maybe you'll find someone who's able to go with you.

6. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd look for a friend to come. For me, Vegas wouldn't be as much fun alone...I enjoy making memories with people.

7. nickle

nickle Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I made a week long solo trip a few years ago. In addition to the comments of others, be sure to have extra cash. I found I needed about half as much again for my budget for gambling for the week, but still had a great time!

8. UncleBen

UncleBen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It would be 4 night trip. A 1 night trip alone is one thing but 4 nights might be too long. As a few of you have mentioned almost a year is a long time to recruit someone else!

9. sam_marques

sam_marques Vegas Vlogs Youtube / TeamClareVlogs

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am going on my 4th Solo trip next week, I've travelled solo to Vegas from London, Norway and Scotland and I love it!! I would rather go by myself than worth someone just for the sake of it, because I have also gone with the wrong person/ people!! My sister usually comes with me but when she can't I go by myself. Before my first solo trip, I would read as many solo TRs as I could to give me ideas, I just love doing what I want when I want, not having a discussion about where to eat every meal and never having to wait for anybody, have a look in the Trip Report section for old TRs from solo travellers, whatever you decide to do Have Fun:beer:

10. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm doing my third solo trip next month after doing two last year, I was a little daunted before the first time but I had a great time, I even did a day trip to LA as well. I suppose it depends on the person and if your are happy with your own company, but you can do what you want when you want and your not waiting for other people or arguing over where you both want to go. I always end up chatting to people, whether it's the bar staff or somebody sat next to me at the bar, the English accent is usually a conversation starter anyway. If you can't find anybody to go with and your happy to go solo then I say go for it, it was the reason I went solo last year.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  11. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just returned from Vegas on Apr 6th, travelled with a friend and I'm heading back solo on Apr 29 for 7 nights. I found she was a bit of a stick in the mud and cramped my Vegas style so with an Inbox full of offers on my return, a do over seemed in order. My husband is the perfect Vegas partner in crime but he can't get away. This will be a long solo. The thing I miss when solo is the shared experience and laughing about things that happen. I'll FaceTime hubby to ease that. Looks like a solo trip is in your future.

12. UncleBen

UncleBen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Sam and Stig for adding your input.

I think you've hit something when you both pointed out advantages of not having to debate/decide/argue/compromise about where to go and what to do.

I'm fairly easy going but there are places that I really want to go to and others that I'm not so fussed about but with a group I'd be more likely to miss out in order to keep people happy.

13. UncleBen

UncleBen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Having someone to share the stories and laughs with is a bonus and it's great to turn to a friend and say 'look at that guy' or 'did you see that?'

However I'm inclined to agree with your last sentence ;-)

14. CJ's

CJ's Plumbing the depths of debauchery

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm with Sam and the Stig :peace:

After my first visit with my GF in 2009 she decided she hated Vegas :rolleyes2:
    The upside is she now lets me go on my own and I have been going solo every year since, skipping 2010. Might get2 visits in this year :drunk:
    I love going solo, longest visit was 9 nights and didn't regret any of them. 5-7 nights is a good length gives you time to get around, see some shows, walk the strip, visit downtown and still get plenty "playing" time. If gambling is your thing.
    Theres plent of ways to keep in touch with others, I find myself Facebooking loads even whilst I'm playing :evillaugh

Most people will converse with you, excluding some VP players :faint:

Have fun and win loads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.