1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas Movie (and TV) Collection

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Todd_Royce_XXL, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. npom

npom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoy watching anything Vegas. I like looking for things that aren't right.

2. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like in Con Air when the plane hits the Hard Rock guitar sign they have Circus Circus right next door?

3. jon95616

jon95616 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good call. Pretty good movie. I like the drive to Vegas and buffet scenes as well.

4. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    TV: The Defenders and Vegas, two series which died far too earlier of deaths IMO, Build It Bigger on the Venetian and City Center, pretty cool seeing what went in to building those places, Vegas Cheaters, the schemes and plans people went through to cheat Vegas then get busted doing it are so classic, Vegas Strip of course. Actually I have around 50 different shows from the Travel Channel, Discovery and others on DVR.

Movies: 21, Fear and Loathing, Vegas Vacation, both Oceans 11 but none of the sequels, The Hangover of course, The Cooler has become a fav the last couple of years as well, Macy is brilliant as usual.

5. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for this thread Sco.

I just want to note that even though I have a strong stomach, there are things that even I can't actually watch. Just because it's in my collection doesn't mean I sat and watched the whole thing. So the point I was making is, it doesn't have to be any good to be in my collection. It's a big bonus if it's enjoyable.

However, what's enjoyable to me, and enjoyable to others can be different. And what's "quality" to me and isn't quality to somebody else.

So, I don't pretend to be an excellent judge of quality. I was just making the point that for me, and some of my fellow board members, quality has no bearing on whether or not it will be watched (even a bit just to see how bad it really is and say you saw it) and added to our Vegas video collections.

6. Todd_Royce_XXL

Todd_Royce_XXL Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was looking on the guide for this evening and saw that there is a Lifetime Christmas movie called "Finding Mrs. Claus"
    I've never seen this, and it's a Lifetime movie so I won't vouch for it, but the plot from IMDB is:
    "When Mrs. Claus (Mira Sorvino) feels neglected by her less than attentive husband (Will Sasso), she goes to Las Vegas to help a little girl with her Christmas wish. But when Santa finds out and follows her to Sin City to make amends, he puts Christmas at risk when things don't go quite as he planned."
    It's on tonight at like 10:00

7. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone else seen this movie?

I wish I could remember the name ,but when I had Netflix I put in Vegas and this was one of the ones they had. Takes place in a dimly lit VP bar and is a character study of all the regulars(losers) who come in each day . sort of interesting if youre a VP player or if you like movies that are believable.
    Can anyone with Netflix check on this? Thanks.

8. buckeyetodd

buckeyetodd High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the 70s tv show vega$ is so much fun to watch. robert urich was such a stud and did so well with the ladies! i have the entire series on dvd. i pop them in now and again to see "old" vegas. i didn't start going until the early 90s so some of the places they show are gone but seeing a place like the stardust being shown over and over since it was such a "nice" property cracks me up.

9. ilshan

ilshan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cool World is a pretty crappy movie, but it's also an interesting time capsule of early-90s Vegas. You can see the half-completed Luxor and TI in the background in several scenes, the Hacienda, Desert Inn, Stardust, and New Frontier are still standing, and the climax takes place at a pre-canopy Plaza.

10. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I liked Go. It had that Memento/Pulp Fiction vibe.

11. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Network shows don't work that way tho'. It's about ratings. There have been times the network screwed with the order of the shows to air episodes they thought would hook audiences first (dumb).

If you don't grab that audience and get that word of mouth buzz, the show is done.

The show was given well enough time and it failed.

I've seen shows get canned much sooner. Vegas got a full season and not a half-ass season either, but 21 episodes.

I do hate when shows have breaks in them tho'. Vegas aired an episode on 2/19 and the next didn't air till 4/5. Yes I know this was due to MM but it screws over people that were watching for over a month pretty much every week. Lost had a similar decline due to breaks like that (along with show quality).

12. agirl

agirl Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    YAY Zamboni! I love Fools Rush In too! It's a great little movie with lots of Vegas scenes, both on and off-strip.

13. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I forgot about the Vegas scenes. Love that song in the movie by Vanessa Daou "Two To Tango".

14. Todd_Royce_XXL

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would add the word "anymore" to your first sentence.
    Some of the greatest, most successful shows of all time started with horrible ratings. But they got a second season and the ratings grew, and the third season they became a hit. Why? Because of the way TV used to work, with a certain amount of shows that ran a full season during the fall & winter and then went into reruns in the summer. Since people usually didn't rewatch the same episodes in the summer they'd look into other shows, thus a new audience was reached.
    Now, I understand that model isn't coming back, and I'm not suggesting that it does, however with all of the networks having sister stations on cable, and the popularity of cable TV, I can't understand why a show like Vegas wasn't put on one of the Viacom cable networks for a short time in order to try to reach a new audience.

15. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can. The cost of the show probably wouldn't make the show viable for cable. Network TV money ain't cable money. That's why Dianne Farr left Rescue Me (FX) to be on Numb3rs (CBS).

We are well past giving shows 2 seasons to get an audience.

Vegas had 21 episodes....more leeway than normal, and the show still wasn't good enough in ratings. It probably finished due to contractual terms or start up costs much like Terra Nova (the dinosaur time-travel series).

Personally, I think Vegas had decent ratings but they slowly went down from to half of what the premiere had. The ratings drop can partly be attributed to MM where it permanently stayed below 8 mill. It was about 10 mill before MM.

Those breaks kill shows sometimes.

16. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  17. Todd_Royce_XXL

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I disagree on the cable issue. But again, it's a matter of trying an alternate way now accessible to networks that want to have new fresh shows throughout the year, thus are cutting back on summer re-runs.

As for being well past giving shows 2 seasons to get an audience, that is a poor poor choice by the networks.

Take for example Cheers. LOW rated show for the first season, huge disappointment. They were given a second season and ten years later the show retired from NBC as a bonafide HUGE hit. Then beyond that the character Frasier Krane spun off into another series that lasted ANOTHER 11 seasons, so by not cancelling it after the abysmal first season NBC essentially got 20 more years out of that show.

Seriously, if Cheers premiered this season and got the same ratings it did back in its actual first season, it would be cancelled MAYBE after the first season. Or it might be like several shows that premiered this season and were cancelled after one or two episodes.

It's a big mistake on the networks part.

18. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was an artistic mistake to cancel "Vegas".

A show of that nature set in that period could not have run for years and years as "Cheers" and its spinoffs did, so maybe it was a financial mistake to cancel "Vegas" and maybe not.

19. Todd_Royce_XXL

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great point. My comparison of Vegas & Cheers is way off. But I was speaking generally when I brought up Cheers. Many of the new season shows that do not have the issue that you bring up with Vegas are being cancelled, and again a couple of them are within the first couple of episodes. It's an overall issue that the networks will have to work out because as much as I understand that summer series' have replaced the old summer rerun model, I also know that they won't be able to find a lot of success by being so quick to pull the trigger.

As for Vegas specifically, again I agree with you, it may have been a financial mistake if they didn't just cut their losses and run.

Still sucks though :)

20. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What worked in yesteryear doesn't work today.

There are shows that got nice ratings and stayed there for years as well. CSI comes to mind, NCIS is another, and L&O is a juggernaut.

A network didn't lose as much money back then witha low rated show as they do now.

Networks also don't care about new fresh shows as much as highly-rated shows. Have a full-lineup of juggernauts? That network is less likely to tinker or add anything.

Plus networks do stick with shows sometimes. Fringe was never a juggernaut yet went 5 seasons and declined the entire time. Fox stuck with it through the Friday death slot (for 2 and half seasons) and even gave it a short wrap up season. I remember fans were the reason Jericho got a wrap up season.

Those are instances of management having a bit of fandom versus business-sense (which I personally like).

Now networks want a hit out the gate and hope it gets better. Breaking Bad comes to mind.

The fortunate thing is that some shows that are good or you may like don't come off that way to others. I liked the FX show Terriers. Only one season. Breakout Kings? 2 seasons. Jeremiah? 2 seasons.

As it turns out, between network and cable, there are still a ton of good shows out there.

SOA
    TWD
    CSI
    American Horror Story
    Supernatural
    The Following
    The Americans
    Banshee
    Justified
    Louie
    GoT
    Falling Skies
    Blacklist
    Hannibal
    Sleepy Hollow
    Bates Motel
    Grimm
    Ray Donovan
    POI
    Elementary
    I even like Longmire
    ....hell you feel strongly about Vegas?

I felt the same way about Chappelle Show and Chicago Code (THAT SHOW WAS AMAZING!!). Those 2 cancellations STILL have me aching to this day.

Sometimes a show is badly timed, should've been cable produced from jump street, or there is internal crap going on behind the scenes which contribute to a show's demise.

I'd say the system ultimately works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.