1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas Hospitals?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by tatterdema, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just wondering if anyone else has been unlucky enough to have to spend time in one on their vacation?

Partner and I just got back from a 3 night trip. Second day he choked on a piece of prime rib and ended up riding in an aid car to Valley hospital downtown. Checked in at around 6pm. They finally got around to doing surgery to remove it at 11am the next day. He was choking, gagging, couldn't talk, or get water past the obstruction the entire time. By midnight, he had blood coming out of his nose and throat from the trauma to it. By 5am, he was hallucinating. Hospitals excuse for the long wait was that they had to wait for an anesthesiologist.....

The paramedics said that this is the best hospital to go to, with the other option being UMC. I wasn't at all impressed with Valley, and just wondering for future reference if anyone has a better recommendation.

2. cphllps

cphllps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Didn't visit a hospital but did end up at Urgent Care with a kidney stone the morning of the day we were flying home back in 2007. We were staying at PH and I went to an urgent care, Harmon Medical Center on Harmon behind the hotel. Other than having a long wait in the waiting room, the care I was given was good. I ended up being there about 4 hours and didn't suffer any complications or flare ups on the trip home.

3. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Geez !
    Sorry about choking !
    Man, I would have "Heimlicked" my partner til they puked !

4. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol, I tried, believe me. I beat and beat on his back, tried the heimlick thing, everything. It was stuck at the very top of his throat. We had about 10 people in the bathroom trying to help. The aid car was convinced that it had already gone down, and that it was just "irritation" in the throat. They wanted me to take him myself, or wait in the hotel room until he felt better. Ummm, NO! He is passing out, turning purple, and clearly in distress. I am not having him pass out on the way to the car and hitting his head. They said, "well we have a 3 minute response time if anything happens". Really? Cause it took 15 minutes to get you here.

5. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow...that's a scary situation. And not an impressive response at ALL.

6. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've heard that one of the major cons against moving to Vegas is the mediocre health care available there and this reinforces it.

Glad your partner is doing better.

Just curious what country you're from that you call it an "aid car"? We call it an ambulance.

7. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From Seattle. Not sure why I call it an aid car? I think because many times they come from the fire station? I think he was actually transported in an ambulance, but the aid car was the one who initially got there and rendered aid.

While he is doing well now, when the doctor was done removing it, he came out to tell me he also did a biopsy of the esophagus and one of the stomach, and we could get the results from his primary doctor here in Seattle. So now all I can think of is cancer. Ugh. He didn't say why he did biopsies, and I wasn't in any mind to ask. He also said his esophagus is deformed, which is why he is prone to choking. He chokes a lot, but this is the first time anything has gotten stuck.

8. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I spent some time in Summerlin Hospital a few years ago

9. zoobrew

zoobrew Tourist

My nephew literally lost his left "nut" in Vegas. He was sleeping and somehow it got twisted.... as a guy I really didn't want all the details as these stories give me a shiver.

10. vegasbound

vegasbound Moderator

Our hospitals aren't the best and they're not properly staffed. Spring Valley gets a lot of traffic from the strip. They've improved over the years, but they took six hours to determine I needed an emergency appendectomy. Insurance limits where I can go, so I'll be returning for surgery next month. My preference, though, is St Rose San Martin. Great ER and hospital staff. I like the St Rose facilities far better than the Valley network. I would refuse to go to Valley, Desert Springs and Southern Hills based on past experiences.

11. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you Vegas Bound. That was information I was hoping to get. I travel to Vegas often enough, it is just a matter of time before I need some kind of care there.

A couple other things about Valley that I found odd. When he went into surgery prep, they were shocked that he still had his clothes on (Blue Jeans, Shoes, socks). They wanted to know if he had just walked in. I did find the nursing staff very friendly and helpful, but they appeared to also be very overwhelmed, without much direction. I was listening to a conversation on the other side of the curtain in the ER, where a man had a compound fracture. They were trying to send him home, to come back the next day for surgery, but couldn't figure out how to bandage and splint a fracture properly when the skin was broken. They guy on the on the other side of us had been stabbed. He was still there when we went to a room, and as far as I could tell had still not seen a doctor, 8 hours later.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.