1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas got me out of jury duty

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by habs0nut, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was summoned for jury duty way back in the winter and when I went I was able to get deffered till the fall just due to fact that I was about to get crazy busy at work. Late July I received the second summons. I opened the envelope and took a quick look at the date and time, Sept 10 at 9am. I made a note of the date and set the envelope aside until this morning. On my way to the courthouse I take a look at the summons sheet and notice there's another letter in the envelope that I never looked at when I first got it. Basically it said I was being summoned for a specific trial that they are expecting to last at least 4 weeks and if there was any reason why I couldn't be available I had to submit it in writing no later than August 30th. I'm thinking oh crap at this point, I'm going to Vegas in just over 3 weeks. Well I get there and they ask if anyone has travel or medical reasons why they can't be there for the duration of the trail. I had to fill out a form and have a judge review it. They started to call out names of those who had made requests and the first 4 people were denied. I'm thinking to myself that this isn't good. Then it was my turn and I was told I was deferred again!! :thumbsup:

Guess I should consider this the first win of the trip!

2. texdan17

texdan17 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excellent! I need that judge next time I get summoned! :)

3. Reed

Reed High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hopefully your luck continues through your Vegas trip!:thumbsup:

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have mixed feelings about this thread. Obviously I wouldn't serve if it screwed up a vacation. But I do consider it my civic duty to go when called. 3 times so far.

Two of those, my employer paid the difference, so if yours doesn't, that obviously could be a hardship. But if they do...:poke:

The 3rd time I was retired. Civic duty. Same reason I'm a poll worker for every election. Somebody has to do it.:peace:

Christmas
  5. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get a jury summons about every 1½ to 2 years, which usually arrives the day AFTER I've booked a Vegas trip for the days I'll be gone. How do they know? Fortunately, I've always managed to have my service date postponed a month, which of course, puts any additional trip plans on hold until afterwards. My last summons was in June for the week AFTER I was getting back from Vegas. I guess someone messed up, and not having a particular need or desire to avoid service, it also ended up being the first time I wasn't required to report. Again, how do they know?

6. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I still don't get how they choose though. I've been called twice. The first time, I was on the most BORING trial ever for over a week - so boring the judge fell asleep - and no I'm not kidding - she was doing head-bobs. She even apologized for it after the trial. The second time was just the sit and wait day.

Yet many people I know, haven't even been called once. My brother and sister are both much older than I, and neither one has ever had jury duty. My BF has never had it. Why would they choose me twice when there are many people who haven't even gone once. I've worked at the same company for 18 years - many people I work with have never had jury duty. Wah, wah, wah (rant over).

7. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I had a friend get off the jury for a pretty locally high profile case because we were going on a golf trip during it.

And that trial ended up finishing before the trip anyway!

8. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Next time.....

Fly to Vegas and mail the jury Summons from Vegas. Tell them you are out of town.lol.

I am not able to serve on jury duty due to my medical problems. I can get
    ill all of a sudden and become an emergency. I am clustophobic too.

9. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to get out of it just for the sake of getting out of it. It's just both times now that I've been summoned haven't been the best times for me. To be honest I'm not looking forward to doing it just for the fact that I don't get paid for my time away from work which is a small business. I do consider it a privilege to serve and a duty for living in a free and democratic society, I'm just really happy it didn't hamper my trip!

10. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Understand totally! I have been selected once & DH about 4 times. Mine of course hit when I was going to be out of town for a conference. I think they do full months for ours as we are a smaller county & not as many trials. So I was able to get excused that week but still had to dial in to see if I had to go to any of ther other trials (did & was excused on 2).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.