1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas for Christmas

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Backagain1, Sep 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We just decided to plan a Christmas in Vegas trip.
    What can we expect with regards to weather, crowds, and anything else.
    We might also want to visit the Grand Canyon.

Thanks!

2. Krh2o

Krh2o MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Weather wise it's colder then the fall. Last year it got below 30 when we were there for New Years. That might not be cold for east coast or mid west people but for us Cali folk it's cold. Yes I know it was cold in Cali too. It's usually pretty dead, but this year it's a weekend so might be more crowded on the 25th. The week leading up to it will be very slow. A lot of resteraaunts and shows are dark some or limited around that time. Some buffets have Holiday Menu, where they add some stuff and raise the price. I like it that time of year. Venetian has a nice Xmas tree out front.

3. Reel Investor

Reel Investor Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never been exactly on Christmas (up to the 23rd) but as krh2o said, it gets reasonably cold. Also, there is some traffic so it won't feel like a ghost town, but it's definitely nothing like, for example, EDC.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  4. marcianofan

marcianofan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's slower than normal, but Vegas is always busy to me. It's a great time to go( I'm going early December for six days but wouldn't have minded at all if it was later towards the 25th) . I'm going to be wearing shorts and MAYBE a long sleeve shirt, but I've been there many times in December and it's a great time to walk the strip end to end as it's not 109 degrees like summer....

5. megamoose

megamoose Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The GF and I were there for XMAS last year. There are still plenty of people around but not busy like a regular weekend. We really enjoyed the less foot traffic as sometimes it can be frustrating and overwhelming. Still lots of restaurants of all varieties and dining levels open. Nights you may need a light jacket or sweater. I hit a slot progressive at Bellagio Xmas eve for $16,000 so that was a nice Xmas gift. Go,enjoy, theres always fun to be had in Vegas!!

6. Nick61

Nick61 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You won't find a better time with smaller crowds, that's why the room rates are usually the lowest of the year. Of course bear in mind, the lowest rates of the year instantaneously revert to the highest, the closer you get to New Years eve. Most people either can't or don't want to leave home for Christmas time, that's why room deals can be had.

Some people love this time of year in Vegas (me), while others (my wife) not as much. If you go to Vegas to see shows, most of the bigger name shows take a break around Christmas, gearing up/ resting up for the all important New Years eve crowds. And my wife is a show goer, where in my case it's not a trip requirement.

The weather is usually pretty nice during the day, pretty chilly at night. In 25+ years of going in Dec. (not necessarily specifically on Christmas day), we've actually seen snow in Vegas a couple of different times. But only once where it accumulated to a depth of about 2 inches--it was a record breaking event. It quickly melted within a few hours. We've got a cool pic of the Luxor with a couple of inches of snow on its roof. We were eating lunch at the Mandalay Bay coffee shop, which is a beautiful open window setting. And our servers were mesmerized by the falling snow. We had difficulty getting served, but we didn't mind at all--it was a fun experience.

I like Dec. in Vegas, because it's a far slower pace. I guess it correlates with me slowing down, lol.

7. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I are usually in Las Vegas for Christmas. For us, it's about 20 degrees F warmer than Salt Lake City - so it seems warm.

As noted by others, things are relatively slow and it's easy to get in and out of places. Surprisingly, several of the headliner shows are still performing. Things really start ramping up for New Year's after that.

Bill

8. Sam D

Sam D Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did a 6 day trip to Vegas and enjoyed it then. The night time temperatures were in the 20s and daytime in the 60s. So warm shoes and clothing are in order. Some of the hotels do some elaborate Christmas decorating, including Sam's Club which had strolling Christmas carolers. If you plan to drive to Vegas from wherever you are, I'd recommend taking tire chains along. I've had to use them a few times in winter when driving to Vegas in the winter and early spring.

9. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When went for Christmas last year, hoping to do it again this year. The nearby attractions seem to be busier than normal, places like Hoover Dam, Red Rock Canyon, Mt Charleston.

Christmas Trip. Sam's Town & MSS
  10. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks everyone. We will not be driving.
    I appreciate the feedback!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.