1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas Bookends - Caesars 5/29 and 6/8-10

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by LA2VegasTrekkers, May 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LA2VegasTrekkers

LA2VegasTrekkers High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

I'm sitting at gate A11 at McCarran waiting for our flight out. We drove into Vegas from LA last night arriving around 2300. We spent one far-too-short night before our flight this morning, but we'll be flying back in on June 8 for a long weekend. So last night was the one bookend of a trip that both starts and ends in Vegas with a bunch of other stuff in between (with which I won't bore you).

We were booked at Caesars in a comped Forum Tower room for last night, but when we arrived so late, I nicely asked the desk clerk for a room in a tower closer to the front if possible since we were taking a cab to the airport in the morning and we were upgraded to an Augustus Tower room. I tipped her a $20 for that. We'll be leaving the car in the Caesars self park while we're gone so it's here when we get back. The room happened to be a handicap accessible room on the "pretend" 23rd floor (I say pretend since it is clearly not 23 floors up). It was funny also that she put us in an accessible room for reasons that will become clear in the second bookend of this trip. The room was HUGE and very nice. We love the GO rooms at Flamingo and we've stayed at the Bellagio before. I think this room was way nicer although I think the bed at Flamingo is more comfortable. I think it has a plusher matress cover. Also the TV in the Augustus Tower room was pretty small, maybe 32".

Anyway, engicedave inspired us to give some higher limit slots a try, so we stopped in for a bit and quickly dropped about $250 theough some $5 slots without a single win. I just don't think we have the luck for these things. We played $20 each through the Clue penny slots after that and lasted about 45 minutes. We were both exhausted and had to get up early for the flight so we turned in after that.

Up at 0600, hit the Starbucks at the bottom of the elevator, which is wildly more expensive than your average Starbucks, by the way and now here we are - sad to be leaving so soon, but looking forward to coming back soon for Part 2. More to come...

2. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was a very quick trip; enjoy Part 2!

3. LA2VegasTrekkers

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Part 2

OK. I realize this is about two and a half months late. We just got back from our August Vegas trip, which I'll post about separately, but I wanted to finish off the June "bookends" first, to the best of my memory at this point, anyway.

When we last left the story, we were flying out of Vegas to the east coast to visit family. My husbands father had passed and we were meeting his siblings to spread the ashes, visiting other family members on his side, visiting my family in Florida and then flying back to Vegas to meet back up with my husband's brother and his son who had been road tripping across the country, so that is where we'll pick back up.

We'll call the brother B and his son is Z. Z (and his little brother, who did not make the trip) has muscular dystrophy and at the age of 22 will not be with us for much longer as his muscles, including his heart, slowly waste away, so this was his grand roadtrip with his father while he was still able. They drove into Vegas on their way home to northern California and we flew in and met them there before our drive home to Southern California.

I had arranged in advance for us and them to get rooms in the Augustus tower at Caesars. We really wanted to show them a good time and make it memorable. They would not normally have the money to do things like this, but I had almost $1,000 in TR points to spend. Our room was comped and there's was very reasonable, set up by my host. They, obviously, needed the accessible room (which we had seen from the first bookend of our trip by coincidence and knew would be beautiful) and they got it on a relatively high floor looking north. They really enjoyed the view and the room. It was also nice to be able to use the valet on the Flamingo side at the foot of the Augustus tower. They drive an accessible van that is more than 7 feet tall, so not having to go under all the garages and such was a plus and the "private" entry made the whole thing seem very exclusive.

They got in a little late on that Friday night, so we took them to dinner at the Bacchanal buffet. It was a little disappointing so late at night as they were trying to close things down, but everyone came away satiated and they had the "Vegas buffet experience," so all-in-all, a success.

The next day we took them into the Diamond Lounge at Caesars to have a few drinks. The staff were very friendly and allowed me to bring both of them in and my husband and made Z some special cocktails. That day we ate at Hash House A Go Go, which they had seen on Food Network. It was good and the portions were huge, as everyone says, but I don't know if we would go out of our way to go back. We gambled a bit, just slots. Z had saved up some money for this purpose and, although he couldn't push the buttons on the machines himself he had a great time. We played the Lord of the Rings Two Towers game for quite a while and he doubled his money, so he came away with a rather unrealistic impression of gambling, but he had a great time! Unfortunately, B managed to lose a $100 bill out of his pocket, so that was a bit of a bummer.

The second night we drove out to dinner at Forte for Thracian Pots. OMG!!! These are amazing little hot crocks with sausages and eggs and all sorts of goodness inside. They had seen the restaurant on the Food Network and I'm so glad we made the trip. Highly recommended, if you have a car. That night we took Z to see X Burlesque at Flamingo. He didn't want his dad to come, of course. He had a great time and, again, got the "Vegas" experience and we loved going with him. We always enjoy that show.

We had breakfast at Central the morning we all left, which was quite good. We had enough TR points to cover the cost of everything that wasn't comped, so it was a totally successful trip. B and Z had a great time and we got in an extra Vegas weekend. August, here we come!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  4. Alhanalasa

Alhanalasa Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love the Lord of the Rings slots! They always do well for me, glad to hear they did well for Z! :)

5. LA2VegasTrekkers

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We also love the original Lord of the Rings game (Fellowship of the Ring) and the Two Towers iteration. Although we'll play the newer three reel versions, they just aren't quite as fun. I saw a promo from WMS the other day that they were going to be releasing Return of the King soon, but the preview did not look as though it followed the same format as the first two, with the map and all. We'll see. I'm sure we'll play it either way.

6. Mayoman

Mayoman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My DW can't get enough of the LOTR's slots. She plays them for hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.