1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas area HOT SPRINGS

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by DavidR82, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidR82

DavidR82 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did a quick search and couldn't find anything on this topic.

I'm looking to try something new on a upcoming trip with my girlfriend and have been thinking about trying to go to one of the area hot springs, prefer to go to one located within 2-2.5 hours of the strip.

Has anyone on here had any experience going to any of the hot springs near Vegas? Which one would you recommend going to? What would you bring with you to make the most of the experience?

We do not mind hiking a bit to get it, we are both very active.

2. DavidR82

DavidR82 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    *BUMP*

One of the webpages I found that has general directions to a few of the hotsprings located near vegas is

http://www.nevadadventures.com/recsites/clarkco/hotsprings.html

There's about 8 hot springs listed and 4 of them are located near Hoover Dam.

AGAIN, If anyone has been to them or any near Vegas and has recommendations, I'm open for all the advice.

3. DavidR82

DavidR82 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done a bit of research since first posting the thread and have decided we will to the Gold Strike Canyon hike to the hotsprings. I will be updating this threat upon the completion of my next trip starting in 8 days!

4. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

Be careful! It will be hot and there is a lot of rock scrambling. Going down is obviously much easier than coming up. Be sure to take lots of water with you.

5. lnz

lnz Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It might be a bit more than you are looking for, but when I took a kayak trip along the Colorado (starting near the base of the Hoover Dam), there were a couple of short side trips to hot springs.

It's been a while
  6. DavidR82

DavidR82 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We looked into that as well, but decided on doing the hike to it since we both like hiking and wanted to see some of the scenery on the way.

7. daniela

daniela Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What month are you going? I don't recommend doing any hiking in the desert during the summer time. It will be extremely hot and you're risking a heat stroke even if you are in good physical shape.

If you're going May/June, check the weather and the temps the day you plan to go. It can also be very hot during those two months.

8. DavidR82

DavidR82 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We hiked Gold Strike Canyon, which is located near the Hoover Dam, on May 16th. We got a late start on the day and set off and began the hike at 0830AM. I would recommend any desert hikes in extreme temperature to be done early a.m. or late afternoon when the temperatures start to drop! We actually had perfect weather as it was only around 79 degrees and bring plenty of water!

I understand I started this thread for hot springs information. The several hot spring pools located along this trail are great for a quick soak, but I would only recommend getting in them when the temperature is much lower so a fall/winter/early spring hike below 65 degrees for soaking. I did jump in one of the bigger hot spring pools and the water level was up to my belly button. It was very warm, but so was the outside temperature. I don't know how much I gained from doing that other than just to do it!

The hike itself was one of the best hikes I have EVER been on. It was challenging and included some class 3 scrambling. The hike it done through a wash which leads to the Colorado River and there are several boulders along the way that you will have to climb up and climb down. Most important advice I can give is to TAKE YOUR TIME, HAVE 3 POINTS OF CONTACT WHEN CLIMBING DOWN THE BOULDERS, and HYDRATE!

IMG_3694.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

IMG_3704.jpg

9. DavidR82

DavidR82 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMG_3709.jpg

Here was the ending point. At this point you can wade around or swim in the river and take a break before you start back the way you came. Going back was harder than coming down but we moved faster on the way back since we knew what to expect!

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure why these are showing up sideways?! I will have more photos listed in my trip report from May 15-19

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.