Vdara

Discussion in '$20 Trick Section' started by Sonya, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This thread is to discuss the $20 Trick at Vdara.

2. Vickismom

Vickismom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What kind of success have people had with the trick at Vdara? I just booked a 2 night stay for August 5-7 (Wed-Fri) in a deluxe suite. I'd love an upgrade to a Vdara suite now that I've read somewhere that coffee makers are only in Vdara suites and above. While views would be great, we don't care that much. The difference was about $30ish/night.

3. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spend the $30, Vdara suite has a guest bath and full size fridge and kitchen, trust me

4. Vickismom

Vickismom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah... It's not much more so I might just do it, but I was curious what kind of upgrades people got. Is there a chance they'd upgrade to anything higher than a Vdara suite when a deluxe was booked?

5. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vdara is kinda small so free upgrades are rare, even with the $20 sando

6. Vickismom

Vickismom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info. I wanted to know what my chances were for an upgrade before I booked a nicer room. We've stayed at the Signature the last 3 years when we've made this trip in August on the way home from Utah and have been very happy with their studio suite. We decided to try Vdara this year also and split our stay to take advantage better deals I found.

7. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you'll love Vdara, much closer to everything

8. tnyqst

tnyqst Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    BACKGROUND: I booked a Deluxe Suite at Vdara in mid-April for Saturday May 30 - Monday June 1. We chose the Vdara because this trip was intended to be a surprise birthday gathering for a family member. Her husband was doing most of the research and planning and found a promotion at Vdara for $75 food and beverage credit with a minimum 2 night stay and a rate (average of $204/night) that was better than any other hotel on his list - Aria/Bellagio/Mirage/Caesars Palace/Venetian/Palazzo/Wynn. I also made a reservation for a Pool Cabana. Less than 5 days later, I was sent an offer by e-mail from Vdara to upgrade to a City Corner Suite for $38/night, which I accepted, bringing my cost to $242/night - when I originally booked the Deluxe Suite, I checked the rate for all other room options and the City Corner Suite was $268/night and the Lake View City Corner Suite was $285/night.

With 12 family members at Vdara and another 8 at Bally's, I thought we might need a comfortable and private place to gather at times, and I knew I was going to try the $20 trick at Vdara, so I made the decision to bump it up to $50, and specifically ask for an upgrade to a Two Bedroom Penthouse or Loft. (I had checked the Vdara room virtual tours and floor plans, YouTube, TripAdvisor, etc. and I knew what I would accept for the $50 trick). I arrived at Vdara to check-in at 10:20 AM and slipped the agent at the front desk the $50 sandwich and asked about the availability of the specific rooms I wanted. He laid my credit card, ID and the $50 out above the keyboard and went furiously to work. After a couple of minutes of typing on his computer, he went into the back and returned a few minutes later with a sad look on his face and informed me that there were no Two Bedroom Penthouses or Lofts available. I asked him to check and see if there were any One Bedroom Penthouses or Lofts available, as that would still be more space than my City Corner Suite. Again, he typed on his computer for a couple of minutes and went into the back, returning a few minutes later with the same sad look and informed me that there were no One Bedroom Penthouses or Lofts available. I asked him what other options he might be able to offer me, and he went back to work on his computer, After heading into the back one final time, he came out and informed me that the best he could do was offer me a Two Bedroom Hospitality Suite on the 14th floor for an additional $200/night or a complimentary upgrade to a Lake View City Corner Suite on the 31st floor. I chose the Lake View City Corner Suite - I wanted the extra room, but the extra cost was not reasonable. Had they offered me the Two Bedroom Hospitality Suite without the extra charge, I would have chosen it over the Lake View City Corner Suite.

I spent 20 minutes at the Front Desk checking in. At the end of the transaction, the Front Desk agent held up the $50 and asked "Is this for me?" I answered "Yes, not just for the upgrade to the Lake View, but also because I appreciate your effort in trying to get me into a larger room." And whenever my family did gather in a room, it was ours, because of the extra space and the spectacular view of the Bellagio Fountains (they all had southern facing rooms).