1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Upcoming trip plans

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by LolaDoggie, Aug 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This might be as close as I get to an actual trip report. No particular order and I'll try to stick to point form:

-I'm headed back to Vegas Sept 7th. Flying direct from Detroit on Southwest.

-This will be my 5th trip in 10 years, my husband's 4th and our first "couples" trip. The other couple are current and former co-workers of my husband's, not quite 10 years older than us. It's their first "nice" vacation as a couple, her 2nd trip to Vegas and his 1st trip. So, one virgin. I don't have any real concerns about them.

-We're staying at the Golden Nugget on an email offer. I sometimes forget to try for an upgrade. But, we had Carson tower last time and I thought it was nice. They threw in some buffet breakfasts and spa credit.

-We bought a Groupon for the 4 of us to see Raiding the Rock Vault at whatever they're calling the Hilton today. We saw this show in April and it was awesome.

-I booked a shark feeding at Mandalay Bay's Shark Reef. Really excited about feeding sharks. Fell in love with sharks at the Golden Nugget's pool last time.

-I traded coupons like a fiend and feel good about my stash. Thanks to my trading partners.

-Cashed in 4 free dinner buffets on MyVegas (beer and wine included), looking forward to that one.

-Cashed in a 2/1 Mandalay Bay buffet lunch each on MyVegas (my husband and myself) to make for half priced dining at Mandalay Bay the day of my shark feeding.

-Cashed in 2 free Shark Reef tickets for the other couple on MyVegas. My husband says he just wants to drink beer and play slot machines and will see enough sharks at Golden Nugget. We'll see if he breaks down and get his own free ticket or buys a ticket that day or stays true to his word. I don't give a $h!t, I'll be feeding sharks!

-Due to medical issues and medication, I'll be lucky if I can nurse a slushy drink for a few hours. I won't be drinking, essentially. I had 1 American beer here at home to see what would happen and it was pretty ugly. Like...ug...ly...red sweaty gummy bear, trying to wriggle out of loose yoga pants to go potty by themselves and not being terribly successful. I don't know how you injure yourself in your own bathroom after 1 beer. But, I did it. Going off the meds aren't an option. I'm OK with it. I've made a lot of progress with physio and a new doctor. I'll have fun anyway.

-I used Costco to rent a vehicle again. I can't believe I only found out about them earlier this year. They're soooooo much cheaper. Anyhow, I usually try to rent the cheapest thing possible both in price and gas. This time I wanted to fit 4 adults and luggage comfortably and not look like such a cheap-a$$. Plus the other couple are going halfsies on the rental. We'll see what I end up with but it'll be along the lines of a Rav4. If they offer me an upgrade I'll take it. Why not? Halfsies!

-Food besides aforementioned MyVegas redemption's and freebies; Coffee shops & buffets with 2/1 coupons, as usual. Most likely Du-Par's, Magnolia's for sure and possibly Hugo's Cellar at 4Queens, MSS buffet, I've never eaten at the Cal yet so I'd like to try that, Ellis Island for sure, Fremont buffet because I love the Magnum P.I. thing going on, that's as far as I got with food.

-The other couple would like to see the desert and walk around the strip and downtown so I got them some CAA maps and printed out some routes off google maps. They're not gps users. They don't need a strip map necessarily, I hope no anyway. But, I made them a little walking tour route for downtown that includes the container park, El Cortez, Downtown Grand, Cal, MSS and Plaza so they can get out from under the canopy. Hopefully they're not the type that get lost easy and/or panic about being lost and if this is a bad neighbourhood and what if that clown from IT attacks them and somebody steals their kidney and they wake up in a bath tub full of ice? I don't care about stuff like that and learned my way around by aimless wandering. But, whatevs. I'd much prefer to send them on their own is my point.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  2. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hear about Costco's rental deals all the time...since I am not a member I am afraid to use their code. Have you had to show a card in the past? While we don't stay downtown your trip planning sounds like mine. Groupon, coupons, myVegas...I try not to pay for food if I don't have to. Only show we are looking at right now for our Nov trip is Steven Wright, my husband has been a fan of his for years and has never seen him live. I haven't grabbed my myVegas rewards yet...not too many I am thrilled about down at the southstrip area. Past 3 trips we have used so many myVegas rewards that I am missing going to other restaurants :) Hope you have a great time. Will be looking forward to your report when you get back.

3. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tammy, I'm a Canadian Costco member so I can use both sites and shop at both stores. I'm Executive now and the membership is paying for itself even though we don't have kids. They have a travel site as well but it's mostly geared to cruises and Disney and that kind of thing. Worth looking at though. Sam's Club has a travel site but I didn't see car rental. I book right off the site so I don't know anything about their codes. I didn't have to show my Costco card when picking up the car but I had it on me. I've never been good at catching some of the crazy airfare and car rental deals that are talked about in here. I have to find a price I'm satisfied with and that has to be good enough. If I do better than that it's a big bonus. I also have an American Express card and have booked different things with them as well, also a good money saver. American Express has the best travel medical insurance that I've seen for walking basket cases like myself.

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

I had to show my Costco card in Portland last week. I've never been asked that before and have rented cars through the Costco.com/travel portal many many times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.