1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

UNLV Football Tailgating "Scene" ?

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by Camp Rusty, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heynow Gamblers.......

Posted a while ago about the Washington State University/UNLV game time, thanks for all the replies, now that has been settled and moved to Friday night I was wondering if there is a big tailgating scene.

We went to a game there two years ago, UNLV/Air Force, it was Thursday night and there couldn't have been more than six or seven thousand people at the game. We arrived mid way through the second quarter so we didn't get to see what was happening before the game.

Any body go to the games ? Is it a friendly environment if you are wearing your school gear ? Can you BBQ and drink beer ? Just wondering what it's like out there game day. We were thinking maybe a styro cooler and some beers, maybe a one time use BBQ and some brats like we do for the NASCAR race.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks everyone :) :) :)

Rusty

2. grapplefu

grapplefu Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've tailgated there a couple times wearing visiting team gear and had no problems. However be aware that the parking lot is desert dirt/sand. No paved road or grass anywhere.

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You'll be fine... the only time things get a bit outta-control is when UNR (Reno) plays UNLV, which this year will be in Vegas (they alternate years). BBQ, beer, etc. are all fine.

4. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going to be out there in August when Minnesota plays UNLV. I wasn't planning on tailgating until I found out the UMN alumni assoc. is having a tailgate party so I'll probably hit that

5. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks All

Thanks everyone, can't wait to get down there for the game.

I have spent some time in that lot for the Dead shows back in the 90's, lot's of dirt and hot for sure.

Road tripping from Seattle with a stop in Reno on the way down.

jman......should I be betting on the Golden Gophers this year to cover ?

6. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thinking about going out for that game myself, Jman. I'm glad this question was asked. I was curious about this too. I know UNLV has been down for a few years. Wondered about getting tickets - is there an active street market for tickets? I remember when Goldy Gopher was playing at the Metrodome and had some bad teams. It was hard to get a good deal on tickets from a scalper. You had to pay face value at the ticket office. The season ticket holders were so apathetic that they wouldn't even make the effort to try and sell the tickets they didn't want to use.

7. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depends on how much of a dawg they are, what is the current line? I didn't even check when I was out there in April... They say the best time to bet on college football is the non conference games in the beginning because the handicappers have such a hard time.

No more Metrodome, been playing on campus for a couple of years now, fantastic stadium, just need to upgrade the product hehe

I'm probably going to get my tix to the game from the UMN ticket office as I want to sit with the others making the trip, have first dibs because i'm a season ticket holder

8. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gophers

I have actually done well on the Gophers in the past, my mom is from Minnesota so I just sort of started betting on them on a whim. I think most of my wins were taking them as dawgs with the points as I recall.

I'm pretty excited to be going early in the year this year, third week of the season, we usually go for my birthday which is the third week in November. I have already found some games I'll probably bet regardless of the spread, if there is action as some of these may be off the board. All home teams except the WSU/UNLV game ( sorry, I took my "homer" )

Hawaii @ Hawaii over Lamar
    Boise St @ BS over Miami OH
    LSU @ LSU over Idaho
    Oregon @ OR over Tenessee Tech
    Washington @ Washington over Portland State
    Washington State @ UNLV over UNLV

Not sure where we are staying yet though, my GF gets some comps at The Mirage, and I get treated pretty well at Sam's Town which is close to the Silver Bowl so those are the likely places now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.