1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

United and different prices when logged in

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by SH0CK, Jul 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't believe it unless I saw it for myself, but I've been searching for airfare for a few days using Google Chrome to check prices. I go in today, login, and It shows me one way flights starting at $219 instead of $206. as it did before. Well that stinks, I waited too long to book...

Until I came back later in the day and used MS Edge to check and I get the previous prices without logging into my MileagePlus account. "OK, they lowered them back, great!" Until I open Chrome and do the search while logged into my account again. Still showing the larger price.

Google Chrome while logged in:
    chrome.jpg

Microsoft Edge not logged in:
    edge.jpg

Sneaky... Very sneaky.

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FYI - just because a search shows a price does not mean it will be there when you go all the way to the booking page.

Also, even if everything is 100% on the up and up, a low fare can disappear and show again 20 minutes later. Available price buckets move around based on actual sales.

3. chitownjohn

chitownjohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not proven but I have heard that search engines can vary pricing algorithms based on browser history. Try clearing your browser history and cookies to see if you get a different outcome. And/or try the search on a tablet or smartphone to see if the results vary.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Patman

Patman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As your Microsoft Edge wasn't logged on, it probably pulled up an old page out of your cache from the last time it was connected.

Office trip
  5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The other day I spent a few minutes between pricing the flight and committing to book it. The price went up! Only by a few $$$ but still. Air fare pricing is very much dependent on time, place, and circumstance!

6. GamblingGolfer

GamblingGolfer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, as Chitownjohn says, you should should always search "In Private" (or whatever browsers call their 'secret' section), or clear your history, or use a different computer.

Alternatively, sign up for Skyscanner's "alert" for a specific flight/date.

GG.

7. chitownjohn

chitownjohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even though I said it, I'm not convinced it's true. Is it really proven to be true or urban myth?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.