1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Uber/Lyft [Master]

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by mganut, Jan 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You might want to check out these related posts from the past week or so.

https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?126095-Lyft-Promotion-20-Off-Your-First-Ride

https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?128744-My-Uber-Review

https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?128589-Uber-at-airport

https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?128414-Faster-to-catch-lyft-or-uber-from-T3

https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?127028-Positive-uber-experience-airport-to-mirage

2. FABismonte

FABismonte Tell my wife I am "about even."

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can get a fare estimate for Uber right in the app. Click the car type and you will see "Get Fare Estimate."

4. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't worry about being ripped off. They don't set the charge, it is done by gps distance. They may take a slightly longer route that saves time but because the cost is split between time and distance this never makes any real difference.

5. ItsVegasTime

ItsVegasTime Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was hesitant try uber last week, but decided to go for it. It was awesome! I'll never take a cab in Vegas again. I highly recommend it!

At the airport it lists right on their website where you go to catch uber (ride share) based on your terminal. At most of the hotels they have a designated ride share area near the taxi pickup line.

At Cosmo As we left for the airport our ride seriously pulled up less than 30 seconds after requesting it. It was crazy fast. $12 each way to and from the Airport and both drivers were great and the cars were nice and clean.

6. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everyone should make the switch to uber. First ride is free (up to 15 dollars,) every time you recommend a friend, you each get another free ride. They have pick up spots right next to the taxi spots usually. If you pull up the app it will show you how long it would be to get a ride (usually 3 mins). last trip I took 6 free rides between 4 of us friends. cosmo to airport was 10.86. On the way to cosmo from airport we stopped for booze so it was 12 dollars. I tipped on the way there since he stopped for booze and then did not tip on the way back. THIS IS THE FUTURE OF RIDESHARING / TAXI CABS GM just invested 500 million dollars in lyft which is basically the same thing as uber. it is not going away. Pretty soon people hopping in a taxi will be seen in the same light as someone who flips their phone open to talk on it.

7. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So is not tipping the norm?

8. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    correct. it is completely cashless.. you create a "profile" as a rider ahead of time and as a one time thing... and that does save your credit card. when you get picked up and dropped off as soon as you get dropped off your card will be charged. there is a "split fare" feature too if you are riding with a buddy and want to split it. it sounds scary but take the plunge once for a free ride and you will be amazed. you can even request 3 tiers of cars smaller sedans, suvs, and luxury.

9. abraxis

abraxis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tipping does seem to have an impact on your "rider profile" or whatever on uber. The drivers can apparently rate you on a scale of 1 to 5 stars, which can impact if drivers want to accept your ride request. Likely not a big issue, but if there are tons of people around u requesting rides and not tons of uber cars, you might have more of a wait for your car than a tipping customer.

10. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that is true.. After two rides I am still 5 start! and both riders who picked me up were like 4.6 and 4.2 I can play the game of you rate me low then I will rate you low lol

11. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Who rates first, and can you change your rating?

12. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I noticed inside your profile you can set an auto tip% to be applied to your final fare.

13. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have not played with it enough to know for sure.. But it's anonymous I believe.. And I don't think you can change your rating.. The system does help the driver be happy and not a crabby cab driver with no consequences though

14. JIM BOB 101

JIM BOB 101 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I just returned from LV and used Uber for the first time at. Easy and thrifty... Airport to NYNY in 5:00 PM traffic was $13.75...Driver was professional and courteous...tipped him $5.00

15. stripview

stripview Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    # of passengers for Uber/Lyft

I am traveling with 2 others and I plan to use Uber or Lyft from the airport to downtown. Wondering if 3 people with luggage will be a problem. All carry-on luggage and only 1 piece each. I've never used the service so maybe this is a stupid question, but this is the internet so none of you people know me anyhow to know just how stupid I really am:evil laugh. Hope the question makes sense to those of you who use the service regularly.

16. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are regular cars, so sure.

When you reserve the car, you have to enter how many people. So, if you have more, then you have to get a bigger car.

17. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Boy, reading all these threads does tempt me! I think I read somewhere that you can actually choose the type of vehicle you want?

18. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes and no.

A regular car is a regular car. Not like you pick one model/make over another. In fact, you do not pick the car, it picks you. Some markets allow you to move up a level in car, but pay extra. You still do not pick the exact model. You can move up to a SUV, but again, extra cost and not an exact model.

https://www.uber.com/ride/

19. hotreds

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I meant size-wise, not specific model wise. I'm a big guy and wouldn't do well in a Fiat 500 or Neon or similar subcompact. I would be happy to pay extra to be comfortable!

20. hotreds

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is the cost per person or per ride? I travel with my wife- would I double the charges?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.