1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Uber/Lyft high demand times - higher rate question

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by dalemccl, Aug 12, 2016.

1. dalemccl

dalemccl Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read that in high-demand times Uber and Lyft raise their rates. How often does this happen? Is it only when there is a large convention in town like CES, or a championship boxing match? And how much does the rate go up? Double - Triple?

I'll arrive at McCarran around 2:30 pm on Sunday Oct. 2 and leave the hotel for McCarran on Thursday Oct. 6 around 1:00 pm. Would you expect higher pricing during this time frame?

I'm asking so I know whether it will just be easier/cheaper to take a taxi rather than walking all the way to the pickup point (especially at the airport) and then checking rates on the app.

2. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It can happen anytime there is a lack of drivers and a higher than normal demand from customers. Don't think so much in terms of time as days or weeks, think more like every quarter hours. Like whenever a large concert lets out or at the end of the day for any convention at the Convention Center. The more people that need a ride, the more likley the rate COULD increase.

But if it does increase to a point you don't want to pay that, just close out the app, wait a few minutes, then try again.

As for checking rates on the app, you can look at that while waiting for your luggage. You don't have to commit to a ride until you are ready, so it's very easy to check what the going rate is at any time (well, I know this for Lyft, not sure about Uber.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dalemccl

dalemccl Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Scott, that helps me understand it better.

4. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From Uber's site

When many people are trying to request a ride at the same time, fares surge to ensure that you can request and receive the quick and convenient pickup you rely on.

A variety of circumstances cause fares to surge. For example, heavy rain, local sports events, and holidays can contribute to a temporary increase in demand for rides that requires surge pricing.

Surge pricing has two main effects. Some riders may choose to wait a few minutes or take another form of transportation, causing demand in the area to decrease. Drivers encouraged by surging fares will head to areas where rides are needed most. Once demand for rides returns to normal levels, surge pricing ends.

Fare estimates include any current surge pricing in your area. Your app also notifies you when surge pricing is in effect. In order to request a ride, you’ll need to agree to the current surge multiplier, which displays on your screen as a whole number and decimal when you tap to request a ride.

Please note that the surge multiplier only applies to the base, time, and distance of your trip fare. Cancellation fees, tolls, and per-trip surcharges are not subject to surge pricing.

Here’s an example of how a fare would be charged for a surge rate of 1.5x on a $10 (USD) trip:

$2 base
    $3 distance
    $5 time
    SUBTOTAL: $10
    Surge multiplier of 1.5x = $5
    Toll: $1
    TOTAL: $16 ($10 + $5 + $1 toll)

5. Horatio Hufnagle

Horatio Hufnagle Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My trip in April I took uber exclusively and never had surge prices. I did use it mid afternoon airport and early evening strip too. I've seen surge as high as 7X but that has been post concerts or ballgames here in Milwaukee.

6. paperposter

paperposter VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    just a tip , uber drivers are also lyft drivers , if u get a surge on uber try lyft,and vse a verse and then wait ten minutes , they usualy go away. but u can get a surge around anything in vegas just not a concert or fight. rush hour morning or evening, there no logic beside what u would think like a fight or something getting out thats very big.

7. winner

winner Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last April I experienced higher rates for Uber several times Downtown so I used Lyft without a higher rate I was very disappointed about the higher rates in the middle of the afternoon