1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

U.S. Open at Chambers

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Jun 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Seriously, what was the deal when they came on the air today! Just a bunch of talking heads while there was all that golf that they could have been showing.

2. chitownjohn

chitownjohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I starting watching today when the last 3 groups teed off and watched most of the final round - I have no issues with the coverage. I enjoyed the uniqueness of the links course and the quality of golf.

It's setup for a great final day with Day , Grace, Johnson & Spieth all tied at 4 under. I think Johnson pulls it off.

3. Sunshine-Elle

Sunshine-Elle Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have no problem with the golf course, a true challenge of shot shaping, and perseverance. They are so luckily with the weather. Rain and fog are a staple of this golf course. Please, please please give me back my NBC announcers. Yes even the love to hate you " What was he thinking " Johnny Miller. 98 million $ a year probably not happening.

4. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I played this morning and then came home and watched the rest of the coverage until that last putt was sunk. What a great day. How many guys put their tee ball up around 16 green and looked like they had an easy two-putt birdie, then they couldn't convert? But then Holmes plays an incredible bunker shot past the pin and back down the slope for an eagle! Jason Day! Spieth getting in his putting zone for a couple holes, draining two long ones in a row! DJ's rollercoaster round for an even par 70! Ben Martin putted off the green into a bunker en route to an 86! Awesome stuff. Can't wait for more tomorrow.

5. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You listen to these pro's bitchin and whining that the ball doesn't roll perfectly on these "broccoli" greens, and I'm thinking yup, it sure doesn't...welcome to golf. At least they're not playing on greens that were recently airated, like I sometimes do.

6. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Course is a nice change of pace for a US open, but we see this type of course at the British Open, pardon me, The Open Championship, as well. The greens are really fun to watch, even though they look like garbage.

Coverage...meh. Norman has decent insight, but hogs the mike as well. Did anyone catch Buck slamming Norman (after referring to wives/family/girlfriends as sources of support) saying "it's not a good idea that someone's wife and girlfriend should meet each other"? :evillaugh

7. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What, there aren't poa greens during Opens at Torrey and Pebble? The difference here is the fescue, so the poa really stands out visually.

These guys hate stuff outside the box, the new, the unique. For many it all needs to be the same Mercedes loaner car, the same green speeds week in/week out.

I love the course (and I played it not long before the Infamous Amateur and it was hard and quick). The USGA did one of its prime objectives perfectly this week -- get in guys' heads. Also it is great for the American game, where there's this assumption that Augusta is the exemplar. I love the Masters but Augusta National is about the worst thing for golf everywhere else. Pinehurst last year was awesome. I love this. There is more than enough room in this historic tourney to get off, once in a while, the eye-needle blue-blood courses of the NE and heartland.

Fox sucks. Horrid camera work, bad timing, mostly lousy talking heads. Norman has promise once he learns to park his PGA Tour vendetta when on the air and Weiskopf should do more color work.

8. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going to disagree with your first premise. The US Open should be held on an archetypal American course. Just as the Open is held at archetypal British courses.

I don't know if it's the course or the cameras Fox is using but it's very difficult for me to see the ball on TV and judging by the Fox camera team they are having a hard time locating the ball, too.

Is it safe to say Chambers Bay will never host another US Open?

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a perfectly fair assumption. And I hear it, get it. I don't agree because Winged Foot is not solely "American" golf. And Shinnecock is reputedly classic, archetypal but looks like Chambers in Open trim (albeit overly pushed last time out). I'm just not that hidebound to tradition for the sake of tradition; going to a course not choked in arugula rough with seven-stride-wide fairways every fourth or seventh 10th or whatever year would be a better tribute to the diversity and evolution of American golf. I guess we should make 'em use hickory at the Open Championship.

A lot of Chambers' future might turn on what happens at Erin Hills, another presumably outlier choice. Chambers could be made to look green, and my assumption is a lot of those bitching about it -- who don't understand what is going on out there -- wouldn't be so cranky. Doesn't really change the course. The USGA only has x openings and fewer public options, but I'd like to see it back at some point. To me it's about the golf, and the golf on the ground there is fantastic; it's not about TV look. (We have Augusta for that and something called the PGA Tour.) If/when it comes back, the greens all will be replanted two or so years in advance.

The problem with the U.S. Open is June. Great weather in a lot of places but it also means broad swaths of Americana golf are off limits.

10. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the US Open which is our biggie golf tournament with the best pro's in the world should be on not just a challenging golf course but a hell of a challenging golf course. For me, this is it.

11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any golf course can be set up to produce a four-round final score that is over par, even in double-digits. A cold windy Augusta can do that. The USGA in the not-too-distant past tried to get to that most years. It does need to be tough. Sometimes that will benefit bombers, sometimes surgeons. And it always will be a real bitch for those who get in a bad frame of mind.

The two Opens have very good fields, better than Augusta. But the best field is the Players, likely followed by the PGA, even with the club pros.

12. queentata

queentata VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Johnny Miller gets on my last nerve, too, but I expected so much more from Greg. And I have to say it, though, being a woman...wish they would show more of him...still hot!

13. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You will get more Brad Faxon.

14. chitownjohn

chitownjohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the contour of the course has a lot to do with the camera angles, they probably weren't able to put the towers in the best position due to the course landscape. I personally don't think the angles are terrible, they have a lot of tight shots with hand held camera's that have provided great coverage.

I wonder what the spectators on the ground think, this course must have the worst sight lines to watch golf in person.

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol

Norman is trying too hard. I imagine him settling in to his role quite well over time. He's still too pissed at Finchem, too.

16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Horrible course for spectators. Just the rub of the green. Some courses don't set up well for spectators and this is most definitely one. Hell, it's a tough walk even with your noble caddie schlepping your sticks.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  17. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's the same thing again today.

30 min into the broadcast and I've seen about 2 live shots.

A bunch of talking and commercial after commercial.

18. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's eight hours of coverage, guys. You'll see plenty of golf shots today.

Meanwhile, once they got to live play, Billy Horschel is doing a great job of crossing himself off the "likable" list.

19. queentata

queentata VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's what I want, Snidely!! Can't get enough Faxon!!;)

20. chitownjohn

chitownjohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't recall a major with such late start times for the leaders - the leaders tee it up 5pm CST / 6 EST which means they won't finish until after 9 cst / 10 est. I have to think the late coverage is going put a damper on the ratings.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.