1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Typical computer fiasco

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Jerseyguy2, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wed. morning my Compac Presario just died. No response,would not boot up or anything. I took it to Staples for repair ,it needed the power pack which after testing and the part cost me $120 this morning.
    I noticed while there wed. they had a clearance going ,if need be I could get a new tower for $314. After I picked up the old one I figured $120 is better than $314 for a new one.
    When I got home and checked yesterdays emails ,theres one from Staples with a coupon good for $100 off a new computer. So for an extra $100 I would have gotten a brand new one.Oh well,you cant win them all.

2. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never, never, never look at the ads the day after you buy something. I still do it and I always get pissed at myself.

3. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought a display computer a year or so back from office depot for under $300, kicked the crap out of my old one. I figured display computers are never even turned on, they just sit there, would highly reccommend it.

4. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wow i can't believe you have a compaq that's actually still running?!

but by "power pack" i assume you mean a power supply. in that case you got ripped off paying $120 for it. even a nice, quiet enermax only costs $40.

5. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Paying a big box store to work on a computer is...I can't even come up with a suitable analogy for how bad it is. They usually want $70 just to open up the machine. In this day and age, if you can't fix your own low end computer, just buy a new one. It's cheaper in the long run -- they're basically disposable.

But really, if you've got a tower, they are WAY easier to fix than you think. Everything inside is basically just unplug and replace.

6. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, costly repairs for computers just don't make the sense they once did.

When the machine cost 2K, it made sense (of course, then it also made sense to get a custom built clone, and you could replace/repair things easier).

When you can get a pretty powerful laptop or desktop for $400, once the warranty is up you need to seriously consider replacement vs repair.

That compaq you repaired is probably worth less than the power supply you just paid to put in it.

7. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When it comes to electronics I'm a caveman

Esp. computers,I could have easily replaced this module if I had any idea thats what was wrong. Truthfully,this machine is 5 years old and does all I need it to do which is mostly just basic stuff. I have Verizon DSL ,but the faster version at least and using the Google Chrome its fast enough for me.
    Next month I'm getting my first smart phone ,mostly to replace my broken digital camera which was a 5 mega pixels with an 8.

8. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yeah, well you'll know next time that a 5 year old computer isn't worth more than what you can scrap the metal for. feel lucky that you got 5 years out of that old compaq. next time something breaks, just pick up a new box and you'll have 10x the power at not much more cost. any decent repairman would have refused to replace that part and told you the same thing. unfortunately the guys at those big box stores know almost nothing. :(

9. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope I get another five years out of this thing

It's ok for me ,I still laugh when I think about my buddy getting his first computer from the IT guys at work and being so frustrated ,he actually threw it out of a third floor window.
    Thanks to all for your educated opinions,if it breaks again I will definitely replace it.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.