1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Turtleman's unexciting Jan. 26 - Feb. 2 solo trip

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Turtleman, Feb 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

I promised to file a trip report a couple weeks ago, which is the only reason I'm doing so now, having gotten back last night. With one exception, it wasn't a very exciting trip. For anyone who's followed my "less than wonderful life" posts during the past six months, at least this solo trip was much more enjoyable than the one in August after being been kicked to the curb by my girlfriend of 15 years. Nonetheless, staying in the same places, going to the same bars, and so on conjured up many ghosts, which was more than a little depressing at times. Fortunately, alcohol always solved the problem; but of course, created other problems.

I did have a brief "meet for a drink" blind date at the Orleans on Wednesday and, I'm ashamed to admit, got talked into joining her the following evening at the Gold Coast for bingo. I always thought bingo was something I'd rather die than do ... and I was right! It makes slot machines (which I don't play either) a downright cerebral activity by comparison; or to quote the Raven, "Never more!" However, upon returning to the Orleans ... well, that's the "exciting exception" I alluded to earlier. Sorry, but it would be totally inappropriate (and probably unprintable) to elaborate, so let's just say I'm getting much closer to emulating Nicholas Cage in "Leaving Las Vegas" than I thought possible, including his "friends." I need to go to Vegas with someone, be it a significant other or just a chaperone to help keep me out of trouble.

For the most part, I didn't stray from where I stayed (Orleans, Gold Coast, and MSS). The weather could have been worse, but it wasn't all that great either, and I just couldn't get motivated to do more than gambling and drinking. I had planned on visiting Ellis Island, but after getting comped for lunch at Gold Coast, I was no longer hungry and stayed put.

Gambling wise - not so good. I played a lot of BJ, Three-Card Poker, Pai Gow, and even VP, but my biggest downfall was shooting craps at MSS on Monday. At least I brought my point level back up to Sapphire.

Of particular note, I must have really gotten used to the perks provided by my ex significant other. It's depressing no longer having access to the Sky Club in Atlanta, Centurion Lounge in Vegas, etc. and one more reminder how my life has gone downhill. Therefore, I'll be looking into upgrading my Platinum Delta Amex in the coming days, though I know it's a horrible financial decision. It's like those "sucker" side bets at the tables, but I'd rather lose a little on most hands than miss out on a big payoff for not having made the bet. It's psychological - not statistical and not financial; and as bad as my finances are these days, my mental wellbeing is even more precarious. That being said, I'll be planning a return bout before long.

Overall, I have mixed feelings now that I'm back. One on hand I feel like maybe I belong in that land of crazies and degenerates and should move there; but on the other hand, I know that my Vegas lifestyle is totally destructive. As I've said before ... maybe my next trip report will be more interesting.

2. Franken Dean

Franken Dean Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When Bingo is in the itinerary, you are doomed. The things women get us to do just for a little somethin somethin is tough at times.

I am glad you survived it.

Thanks for the report.

3. dannyocean

dannyocean High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey, man, you gotta live! Get past those ghosts and make new memories, like you already have started! The way to live. Well done.

4. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those ghosts will go away over time. It's still too fresh for you, but as you create new memories, even bingo ones, they will fade away. You sound down on the trip, but at least you took the trip, were open to new things, and came out the other side to write a TR. That's a win in my book. I just sat here in rainy Seattle, working on crap, doing house crap, doctor crap, and more crap. I think I'd rather be playing bingo in Vegas. :wink2:

Sounds like you're pretty clear about the solo time not being good for you right now. Maybe surf around for a meet-up or group heading to Vegas next time you're thinking about a trip. I love going when the Buffoons are in town because it keeps me from that sad, solo place. I spend plenty of time during the trip by myself, which I enjoy, but there's also enough getting together events and things during the trip to keep me feeling like I belong in some kind of leper colony. Just knowing that I'm meeting up with so and so for dinner, or joining a group for a downtown crawl at 7pm is enough to keep me looking forward instead of going down the rabbit hole of darkness that can overtake me sometimes.

Hang in there. It gets better.

5. Spivderman

Spivderman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Turtleman -- my spring trip is 3/10-13 this year, flying from ATL, staying at Gold Coast with one other dude. Come with us (no bingo) and we will all have fun. SkyClub passes are on me!

6. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to hear about your relationship, Turtle.

As Sonya and Danny said...the ghosts will disappear over time. A quick note on how I can relate a bit...when my previous girlfriend left to move back home (another country) because of her visa expiring I had many of the same feelings of reluctance in returning to Vegas. We discovered the place together and had memories at just about every place on the strip. Even to this day I can recall every one. It took me quite some time to go back and when I did it was a solo trip and it was tough.

Best wishes and looking forward to your next report.

7. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry you weren't able to get the spark an exciting Vegas trip can bring. But hang in there, focus on bettering yourself, Vegas will still be there when you want to go again.

8. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Baby steps turtleman....you'll get there. It would be a great idea to meet up with some board members on your next trip; having some like-minded people to have dinner with, gamble, enjoy a few drinks would ease the memories those old ghosts stir up.

9. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for everyone's comments and advice - I'd say the same to anyone else in a similar situation.

I'm thinking about going back in late March, but am becoming concerned how to use my companion fare on Delta that expires the end of May. Both flyers have to be on the same flights. Maybe I can find a new significant other or at least someone to split the fare, but it's not looking promising at the moment. Anyone from Atlanta interested - dates are negotiable?

10. jf3976

jf3976 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That'd be cool to find someone to go with! I'll be out with hubs and a few (male) friends in mid March, if you happen to go then let me know, I'd meet up :)

11. WichitaMuskie

WichitaMuskie Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Wait, you called this trip "unexciting". Something just is not adding up...

Conference Tournament Weekend
  12. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This times 100.

As a side note, an I say this in jest, stay away from Poe.....too depressing, especially after a breakup.

Hang in there Turtle. It WILL get better. :peace: :beer: :beer:

Annual Summer Bliss in the Land of Milk and Honey!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.