1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

TSA PreCk Vs. Global Entry Vs. Nexus

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by CalifLovesVegas, Jun 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalifLovesVegas

CalifLovesVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done alot of reading up on TSA PreCk, Vs. Global Entry, Vs. Nexus.

I usually Get TSA Preck as SW A-list.....but Not always.

Was thinking I would sign up for PreCk, and pay the blasted $85 for 5 years.

I fly mostly domestic., but sometimes cruise to other countries so upon return it might
    be worth it to get Global Entry.
    If I recall, GE is only $100 for 5 years.

So it seems Global Entry (which basically includes Tsa Preck) Might be better
    bang for your travel buck.....

Anybody done this, opinion? Thx

2. Fligster

Fligster High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe global entry at cruise ports is limited, you might want to verify where they have it.

15th Anniversary Trip
    Pink17 ITSM Conference
  3. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Either way, if it's not a huge hassle to get to the interview site, I would wholeheartedly recommend just doing Global Entry over PreCheck. The former gets you the latter, and it's a $15 cost differential over five years. My girlfriend initially insisted she didn't need Global Entry and paid $85 for PreCheck, and now is having to get Global Entry on top of that because she finally realized how much of a benefit it was even if you only occasionally travel internationally.

4. bobby jones

bobby jones Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have Nexus and also live on the border (Niagara). As long as they have me, I will keep renewing. Its been great for the cross border trips and skipping the customs lines after international flights as well.

5. vegasbound

vegasbound Moderator

I opted for the Global Entry. I average one international trip a year and figured it was worth the extra $15. The application process was very easy and quick, less than two weeks to complete. TSA Precheck has worked for us, except when flying Frontier. They do not participate, but are expected to join by the year's end. When flying Frontier we have had a 50/50 success rate by showing our Global Entry cards (which are not necessary to carry) as our ID at the TSA Precheck line. Boarding pass is supposed to be flagged to be allowed access. Also, when making a connecting flight in Houston the gate did not offer TSA Precheck so we had to wait. All other flights it has worked flawlessly. Returning to the States at HOU was fantastic with the Global Entry. We walked right up to a kiosk, took the receipt to the agent and we were free to go. If it took three minutes, I'd be surprised. There was no waiting, just a short walk between the two.

6. Iceicecool

Iceicecool Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have global entry and I have never been able to use it when getting off a cruise ship. Also, apparently you are not guaranteed to get PreCheck either, because Southwest Airlines has my known passenger number, and I only get PreCheck about half the time printed on my boarding pass.

7. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm in my 3rd year of GE and I love it. I haven't cruised out of the US since I've had it - just flown - but I thought the website is pretty clear it's for immigration at airports? I fly Delta and have always had pre-check on my boarding pass since I got GE and entered the KT# in my delta account.

(certain credit cards will pay for it - like Amex Platinum)

8. imderekpoe

imderekpoe Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would say that Nexus is your best bet if you can get to an interview location. Its only $50 and gets you all the benefits of Global Entry (including Pre-Check), plus expedited entry into Canada. I had GE, but got Nexus when my job started taking me to Canada regularly. I've never had an issue and have always gotten pre-check when flying on a participating airline.

9. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One other advantage that you have with global entry. They are open on Saturdays so you can make an appointment for Saturday. In Honolulu their office is also open early (6:30 or 7 am) so you can go to your interview before work. TSA office isn't open on Saturdays and they have later hours (usually after 8:30 am) so GE is more convenient for interviews.

I'm still debating on picking up one or the other. I have only travelled internationally 2 times in my life (2 times in the past 4 years) but want to travel internationally again soon. In the past year TSA pre didn't help me much because I usually take the red eyes so the airport wasn't that crowded, plus TSA pre line wasn't open. I also got TSA pre once or twice so I don't think I would benefit from TSA pre or GE that much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.