1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

TSA - Camera Equipment in Carry on

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by mdee, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone had any problems with TSA over a small retractable MonoPod / iPhone Selfie Stick in your Carry On luggage?

2. Jordan

Jordan Caveman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You mean that retractable "Baton"...:evillaugh

I think it can go either way...

When I go to Vegas for the NA 8 ball championships sometimes they make me check my pool cue, other times not...it's a crap shoot!

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of course that cue stick is in a standalone case that gets attention.

I can not imagine those camera things could cause any problem inside a carryon.

4. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, never thought about it but yes, it could be used as a "weapon" I guess. I never had any problems with it in my carry on.....yet. I travel with my selfie stick all the time, most recently to Japan and Korea in November and didn't have any problems. Plz don't ask TSA, I don't want them banning those things because they think it could be used as a weapon. :evillaugh

I had a friend who bought a bowling ball up in vegas. He tried to carry it on the plane as a carry on but TSA wouldn't let him, he had to check it in. They said that it could be used as a weapon.

5. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah it could look like a Retractable Baton to them but they allow Umbrellas don't they?
    It's a gray area... I just don't know if it's worth taking the chance. It was a Christmas gift.

6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went to South Korea in November and picked up a couple of them for $4. Didn't realize the popularity, I should have picked up 10 to 20 or more of them and sold them over here for $10 - $15 - $20. They seem to be in high demand right now.

7. etm117

etm117 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I carry-on all my camera gear whenever I fly and never had issues with it. I have a high-end DSLR and many nice lenses and other sorts of smashables. My tripod is $600 and I don't trust bag guys throwing my luggage and snapping it in half, so that goes in the carry on too. I specifically bought one that will fit into an international sized carry-on for trips around the world.

8. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I carried on a standard tripod in my bag and not in the bag. Both times, no problems. Ironically, that same tripod was treated as a dangerous weapon when trying to bring it on top of the Stratosphere ..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.