$20 Tropicana

Discussion in '$20 Trick Section' started by Sonya, Apr 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This thread is to discuss the $20 Trick at Tropicana.

2. VegasMediumRoller

VegasMediumRoller Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nobody has tried it here? I am going in March and I am determined to try it! We are going for a small convention (at the Trop) and doubling it as an anniversary get away as March is our anniversary month. Hopefully, it works. I'll try to report back but I am surprised nobody has posted here of trying it/results.

:confused:

3. divisiblebyzero

divisiblebyzero Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please let us know VMR. I'm going in May and will report my findings as well.

4. Screwball

Screwball Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did a $20 tip a couple years ago checking in over a fight weekend. Had 2 rooms and all I really asked for was to be in the Paradise Tower vs Club tower. They did that which made me happy. That said, wasn't expecting a lot and the rooms worked.

5. VegasMediumRoller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I tried it at the Tropicana Saturday night. It worked (sort of). We didn't get to the hotel until about 2:30AM. I sandwiched the $20 between the ID and the CC. The gentleman behind the registration desk was very nice but he placed the $20 bill on the top of the desk between us and said, "I will put that there and if you walk away and it's still there, I'll assume that's for me. I said we had a rough evening in (mostly at the rental car place (a review I will post in another thread)). The problem was that because we came in so late Saturday night (which was really Sunday morning), there were no more rooms as they were essentially sold out. So, he put us in a bungalow room (not recommended) for one night but made arrangements for us to move Sunday which we did without issue.

The only asterisk to this story is that I think we would have gotten that anyway. When they put us in the bungalow room, it wasn't fully cleaned. While it wasn't well lived in, there were towels used in the bathroom, tickets stubs on the dresser from a basketball tournament at the MGM Grand and their room keys where still there as well. The bed was made, but had been sat in. Anyway, we quickly called the front desk and they found us another room two doors down and the guy I talked to (not the same guy who checked us in) offered an upgrade the next day for the trouble.

I did talk the guy on the phone into giving us some other stuff. I got my resort fee waived for the entire stay so that was about $180 and he also threw $25 food credit on our account.

So, my review of the Tropicana is mixed. The wifi in the room is good but not in the rest of the hotel and they took care of me, but only after problems and some negotiating. But, had we not checked in on a 'full' Saturday night, I think the $20 trick would have worked!

6. divisiblebyzero

divisiblebyzero Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the report VMR. :thumbsup:

7. divisiblebyzero

divisiblebyzero Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried the $20 trick at Tropicana this past weekend for a Sun-Wed trip. It was very effective, was upgraded from a King in the Club Tower (back of property) to a King in the Paradise Tower [~$25 per night difference for the time of stay]. The view was considered Strip View, though mostly dominated by MGM Grand, still not a bad deal at all.

Only complaint was the sockets in the lamps, for plugging in phones and such, were quite loose required some wiggling to make a good connection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 3
  9. todd7764

todd7764 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone try $20 trick lately at the Tropicana?

10. todd7764

todd7764 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $20 Trick got me an upgrade to mini suite like flushers.

• Like Like x 3
  11. VegasMediumRoller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did it again last year. I should have posted it then. I did the $20 trick again and this time it worked like a charm. While we were put in the back tower (a little less convenient and slightly older), our room was amazing. Full living space with wet bar/fridge, turn down service, dual vanity bathroom, robes, walk in glass shower.

We didn't pay a dime more for it other than the $20 tip and because I was there for a convention (and for fun of course) we got the original room discounted as well. I'll be back out there again this March and will try it again!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. gs32794

gs32794 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very nice! Do you remember the floor/ room number?

13. lancerh

lancerh Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were there last week and my wife did the $20 trick. We got a corner room with a nice view. The corner rooms were apparently larger than the regular rooms. The lady that helped us was a supervisor so I'm not sure if that made a difference on what she could give us. I tried the $20 trick at Mirage a couple of years ago and the guy gave it back saying he could not take it since his manager was right behind him.

14. mercr350

mercr350 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just back. Tried it when I got in late Monday night. Waited until I got a clerk by himself with no one around. He took the $20 and said he will see what he can do. He said the best he can do is room 783 which is a very nice view (across from MGM and view of the strip). He also comp us $50 for any restaurant in the hotel including Starbucks. I knew it didn't work and he slipped the $20 with the key cards. I took it out and slid it back into his hand and told him I appreciate what he did. Got a basic 2 bed room overlooking the strip but the tower which is a longer walk (honestly didn't mind the walk).

• Like Like x 1
  15. shawn_d

shawn_d Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Going to try this next week, my attempt at Luxor was shot down in June.

16. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @VegasMediumRoller - what’s the name of this room and tower? Know it has been a while, but staying there for the first time next month, and like these photos!

July 19th - July 24th
  17. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, got a $50
    Comp for the $20 trick? Never heard of this, nice ROI!

July 19th - July 24th
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.