1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Trip Report 8/11 - 8/16

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by PeggySue, Aug 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. First trip report so please be kind. Well I should have known from the beginning it was going to be another one of those fun family trips (I am being sarcastic). Remind me next time to leave the husband and teenagers at home. We started off early Sunday morning packed the car and were off by 7:30am. The husband had only three hours of sleep and his asthma was kicking up. This was going to be a fun ride. Of course I drove, and was following traffic, around 80 miles an hour average. Got to Vegas in record time, (you would to if you had a bitchy sick, tired man next to you for almost three hundred miles). Checked into the MGM at 11:10am and was surprised to get a room that early especially since Cher had been performing the night before. Got a great celebrity spa suite, at no extra charge due to our last years inconveinences, but the problem was that there were four of us. Well no problem we got a couple of rollways brought in and the room was so large they weren't really noticeable. By the way, the spa suite is definitely the way to go. I swear this Jacuzzi could fit four people in it. The two teenage girls were in this thing twice a day. I used it a couple of times alone but it would have been more fun with a companion if you know what I mean. Well off to the pool since the other half was dying and too tired. Spent a couple of hours in the lazy river in a raft with a large Mai Tai. Showered and then we all went to ESPN Zone for dinner. OK, we went there so I could get my husband to stop complaining for a couple of hours and the food wasn't too bad either. If you go there try to get a booth. It has it's own TV and all the channels that are up on the big screens plus surround sound. Sent the kids to a movie, husband to bed and I'm off having fun, FINALLY. They have lousy VP at MGM so I found a $1 machine called Run for the Money. Well, let me tell you that was the beginning of a new friendship. I won $230 that first night off that machine, this was after I had lost on several VP machines earlier in the day. Went to bed around 1am kids and husband already asleep.

Day 2: Next morning woke up early and the husband and I decided to let the kids sleep in so went to Mandalay Bay for their buffet. This was a great buffet. The eggs benedict were cooked perfectly, they had a large selection of fruit, and it was the first time my husband actually said something nice about a buffet. Well, dragged him around while I signed up for the player's club card. Gambled a little bit, some VP and a few new video slot machines I had never played (I really enjoyed the Creature from the Lagoon and Lucky Streak). I wanted to try the BJ & roulette tables but I was too chicken to do it on my own (my husband had no desire to gamble). OK, I know I have done some husband bashing here and I will try to contain myself after I tell you the worst part of this trip. Went to get the car from valet, and waited, and waited, and waited. By the way this was the second hottest day of the year in LV. Finally someone told us that our car wouldn't start. Husband went down with the attendant and after about a half hour, here they come with the car. At this point I should have just went back into the hotel and got totally drunk but instead we all got into the car and proceeded in listening to the husband rant and rave until I had had enough [​IMG] . Told him to pull into the Sears auto center and they checked out the car. Dead battery. Bought a new battery for the car and then off we go to get a new battery for the husbands cell phone (his cell phone battery wouldn't charge and we won't go into this story). Went to lunch then dropped the girls off at Wet and Wild for a few hours, dropped the husband off at MGM, and then went on my own to the Strat and CC. I had lousy luck on VP at both. Was down about $140 so I decided to go get a drink, non-alcoholic, then picked up the kids then back to the MGM. Had pizza at NYNY, kids went on the roller coaster husband at the bar and I went to check out the VP. I didn't see any FPVP but tried my luck at DWVP. It played with me for a little bit but in the end I lost $40. How does a person win on these things???? Went back to MGM everyone but me went to bed so of course I had to play that $1 slot machine again. After about 2 hours I finally called it a night with $65 in my favor.

Day 3: My husband had signed us up for one of those timeshare things at NYNY. By the way, they give a great sell but after running the numbers by a mortgage broker it is definitely not a good buy. Got four tickets to see Boo at NYNY and four rollercoaster rides out of it. Took the girls to the Adventuredome at CC while we did the timeshare presentation. Picked up the kids then went to the RIO to see the Masquerade in the Sky, I think I was the only one that enjoyed this, then off to the Palms to Garduno's for dinner. This was the highlight of the entire trip. The food at this place is magnificent! The salsa bar was a hit, the margaritas were wonderful, but the dinner was outstanding. My husband and I had the stuffed fillet (stuffed with crab & shrimp) with a queso topping. I bet you could cut this with a paper napkin it was so tender. The kids had steak fajita's and green chili pasta Alfredo. We really tried to finish everything because it was so good but we just couldn't do it. Had a 50% off coupon but will make this a mandatory stop anytime in Vegas [​IMG] . This was the only thing my husband raved about the entire vacation. At least something turned him on, whoops sorry for the husband bashing! Went to see Boo. It was all right if you like Drew Carey's whose line is it anyway type improv. It isn't worth the $30 per ticket fee. Thank goodness we got this one for free. Then the kids rode the rollercoaster then back to MGM and this time I was too tired to gamble so I decided to take a cool Jacuzzi before retiring for bed (temp at 11:45pm was still over 100°) [​IMG] .

Day 4: Let the kids sleep in, left them with breakfast and video game money and told them we would meet them at the pool around 1pm. Husband and I went to Barbary Coast for breakfast in the Victoria room. Another hit. Not only was my husband happy that all drinks are $1, compared to MGM where one Coors light cost $4, but the teacake they serve before the breakfast is worth coming here for. Also, while we were waiting for our table I hit my first ever 4OAK :D . Yeah, up $200, not to bad. Husband not impressed but guy next to me gave me the high five then tried to pick me up ;) . Thinking back I really should have gone for it. Oh well, went to the Imperial Palace to pick up our tickets for legends in concert. What a hoot this show was. The guys who played the Blues Brothers were great :cool: . They were all good except the one who played Tina Turner, couldn't understand a word she said or sang. By the way, there drinks are pretty weak so you'd be better off ordering Corona's or something straight on the rocks, or do what I did and order martinis. Yeah Baby! Went to Caesar's for dinner but the wait was too long for my husband. The girls wanted go on Ride to Atlantis, I had a two for one coupon so they went and had a great time. Husband too tired to eat so sent him to bed and the girls and I went to the Rainforest café for dinner. Kind of overpriced but food was ok. They went to bed and I played my $1 slots again. This time I lost $60 and was too tired to go on. Was in bed by 2am.

Day 5: Went to the Orleans for breakfast but had gotten up so late we ended up having lunch instead. Not only is this an outstanding deal but also the food was really very good for a buffet. We aren't really big eaters so quality is really more important than quantity. Then the girls went upstairs to see a movie, husband went to the bar and I went to town on the VP machines. Didn't win but had a great time playing. Lost a total of $35 but considering I was playing for over two hours that's not too bad. Dropped off the girls at Caesar's forum shops with $100 can't do too much damage with that much, they spent 5 hours there while me and the husband went back to MGM. What a surprise, he decides to play the quarter machines for the Viper. I'm playing some of the video slots and losing at it so decide to go back to the $1 machines. Once again I'm up over $300 and decide to cash out. Well while waiting for the thing to be filled back up to get my cash, I start playing the machine next to it. Can't remember what it was called but it had something to due with Cheese. Well I lost a little over $50 on that one and decided to cash in and then pick up the kids. Whoops, forgot about the husband, well he made $150 off the $5 that he put in and had several cocktails. He was in a better mood. So we go to pick up the girls and decide to have dinner at the Cheesecake factory. The girls split a chicken Caesar's salad while my husband and I split the California cheesesteak sandwich; their portions are really big. Then came the desert. Wow, we ordered two pieces of cheesecake; these pieces are huge, one chocolate satin cheesecake and one apple caramel streusel cheesecake. Even if you don't want to eat dinner there you just have to try their cheesecake. We had to exercise this stuff off so we did the typical sightseeing trip down the strip. Mirage - Volcano, Treasure Island - Pirate Battle, Venetian - rest our feet and have a drink while the girls check out the shops. Back across the street and walk over to Bellagio, watch a couple of fountain shows then back to Caesar's to pick up the car. Back once again to MGM. Kids back to NYNY to play more video games, and ride the coaster one more time. Husband, up to bed and me, well I just have got to try this machine one more time. I'm down about $160 then up pops a triple and two triple bars for $120. Still down by $40 and I'm one of those that does not like to leave a looser. Play for a while and go back down $100 then I get a run for the money. First one is only $10 but the next one hits $75. OK, I'm just about even. I cash out and once again the hopper is empty. Play the machine next to me where if you get this symbol you go up to the board and there are dollar figures from $5 to $1000 and if you don't like the first offer they give you three more offers. The first time I got the symbol it gave me a $20 and two $5. Well after the last offer I finally won $25. Put some more money into and bang first offer is $100 + $50 + $20. I'm cashing out while I'm ahead. Now this one runs out of money. OK, I'm not patient and this teaches me I should be. I was ahead until I started playing a stupid pinball $1 machine. By the time they filled the hoppers and I finally cashed out I was only up about $80, hey but I'm still up. I quit, off to bed for our last night in LV.

Day 6: Played enough at MGM to get 4 free buffets, and they took off all the meals, drinks, and pool toys charged to the room. This is why I do not like buffets, how can you mess up breakfast. Well this place can. What was supposed to be hot was cold and what should have been cold was hot. The donuts were even stale. Fruit even tasted weird. Pack up, check out, get car and were off. Stop at Primm so the girls can ride the Desperado rollercoaster and play some of their games. Husband and I go off to the bar and I start playing some VP. Was winning until the other half started telling me what to do then I lost it (Money and Temper :mad: [​IMG] . Finally arrived home. Final thoughts, 5 days in Vegas still beats out 5 days of work and teenagers cost more than gambling! Also, I didn't have a chance to go downtown. Going again in September with my mother for our birthdays and she definitly wants to go downtown. We are staying at the Venetian and we are flying there (thank god)....

2. LV Terry

LV Terry Captain Flop'N Fold

Hahahahaaha!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

What a great report! That was hillarious reading about your husbands' bitching!! hahahahaa! I assume you and your Mom are going alone in September! [​IMG] What a crack up.

Isn't that apple caramel streusel cheesecake delicious?! My wife and I split a piece of that when we were there last month. (I tried to keep the bitching to a minimum, I swear!)

Sounds like you made the most of your time there... good for you!

T.

3. HurricaneMikey

HurricaneMikey A-List Buffoon

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Further evidence that couples should only travel to Vegas together if they're still dating, getting married, or celebrating an anniversary. [​IMG]

Otherwise, it should be girls night out, or a weekend with the fellas, and everything that happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. ;)

Mikey [​IMG]

4. KathyinNY

KathyinNY Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great trip report! [​IMG]

5. Shane

Shane Tourist

Wow, leave the BOOB Husband at home next time :(

Hopefully your next trip you will get downtown, it is my favorite part of Vegas, although I am in a minority. The glitz and glamour of the strip is nice to visit but too much to stay the whole trip.

Is your husband always like that are was his bio bad that week. Okay thats probably too personal, but really curious. [​IMG]

6. Tequila

Tequila Guest

Did you drive from California. We though maybe while we were in Vegas for 6 night we take a ride out to San Diego. I know it is like a 4 hour drive.

7. Jer

Jer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Open invite to come out to SD if you are in Vegas from FAR away... Its not Vegas, but where else can you ski and surf within an hour or two??

Oh yeah, and we have Disneyland 1.5 hours away... [​IMG]

8. Jer

Jer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

9. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have found that my favorite trips to Vegas start with me there for a few days and then Dan joining me for a couple of days. More than that and he makes me crazy. [​IMG]

I actually think it would be better to arrive there and then send him home when I'm tired and I can VP and frozen drink myself into a coma and when I'm good and rested I'll head home.

But he saved me last time by coming early when I hurt my back and was trapped at Main Street Station without room service! He even brought the heating pad from home. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.