1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Trip Report 6-16 to 6-211

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by John&Dot, Jun 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My wife and I just got back from our 6th Vegas trip. Stayed at Flamingo 3 nights at $35 per night (thank you board members) and at Tropicana for 2 nights at $55 per night. I just wanted to post some observations and thoughts.

1. CATS buses were curiously absent and we learned they were on strike. Taxi's have taken up the slack and are now the norm for travel on the strip.

2. Flamingo was great. It was our 3rd time staying but the pool is too cold. The air temp was 105 everyday and I'd be surprised if the pool was even 80. Another serious problem is people who go out in the early morning and "reserve" chairs by the pool by putting towels on them. By the time the pool opens, there are no chairs left and some of the people with the towel chairs don't even come out until the late afternoon. It was very frustrating dealing the shortage of chairs and pool that was too cold. One more complaint-I was charged a $5.35 "handling fee" for an envelope mailed to the hotel by my daughter.

3. It was our first time at Tropicana. We had an Island Tower room which was newly remodeled and very nice. The rest of the hotel is showing it's age though. The hallways are dark and narrow with low ceilings and the air conditioning in our room was not cool enough. The pool was nice. They had plenty of chairs and the water temp was just right. My only complaint was the long check-in line for the room and only one clerk working at the counter.

4. MGM still has the best buffet in my opinion. Good variety and wonderful taste.

5. A BIG thumbs down to Caesar's Paladium buffet. There was a problem with the credit card system and they could only take cash. What little variety of food they had was seriously bad. I was able to stomach only the mashed potatoes and rice.

There were about five couples eating with us and most were complaining loudly about the food. One older man called the chef out to show him how bad the chicken was. All he got was an apology. I would never eat at Caesar's again and would advise others to steer away or ask to see the food before going in because it is a total rip-off.

6. In general, Las Vegas seemed to have a different feel than last year. Maybe it is 9/11 or maybe budget cutbacks due to recession. The courteous, friendly service that was standard in the past seemed to be missing. We dealt with long lines and tired unhappy faces.

I hope this is just a temporary thing because it can really affect the mood of a vacation.

2. Bosco

Bosco VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I will be staying at the Flamingo in July. Any ideas or suggestions? Did either of you go to the spa? How was the gambling there?

21 days....cna't wait!!

3. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi!
    If you thought the water at Flamingo was too cold at 80 degrees you'll never swim in NH where that would be considered bath water!! I like it warm too, (I'm from Conn).

I too found that the air conditioning was inadequate at the Island Tower rooms at the Tropicana. In February, I don't use the heat in my room when I go. In april when I was at the Trop I found it too warm for my taste and kept the drapes drown all day to help keep the temp down. I was happy that I hadn't gone any later when it REALLY gets warm! I remember a post here by a guy that stated that he preferred the Gardens Rooms cause they had individual Air Conditioners which you could control.

that handling fee at the Flamingo was a rip off; maybe that's how they offer $35. rooms! I hate hidden charges like the $1.00/day local phone charge whether you use the room phone or not at the Tropicana! I like to know exactly what my room is going to cost including tax and all services before I book!

Jim

4. 12paws

12paws Guest

Going to the Flamingo in 2 weeks; how'd you get the 35.00 per night rate?

5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We got $38 rates at Flamingo in August on Travelswitch.com

I agree about cold pools--it's not so much the actual water temp (because 80 is nice--our lake is about 80 right now, I think) but the difference between the air temp and the water temp--it's too shocking. I'm sorry to hear there are still problems at the Flamingo with the pool lounges--as we'll be there in August and planning to spend time at the pool....We'll either have to go out first thing or late afternoon after everyone else is fried and moved inside :cool:

Also a shame to hear that the Vegas feel isn't back yet. We noticed a difference last October when we went, but clearly that was related to the huge decline in travel & the massive layoffs resulting from the drop in business...We'd hoped that as business picked up, so would the service....

6. pattiinontario

pattiinontario "PATTI-O-LANTERNS"

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just read a trip report from someone who stayed at the Flamingo for 7 nights. They had the same pool complaint as u. They said they ended up using the pool at Harrah's instead. They said no one challenged them or asked for a room key. It wasn't crowded and the service was great.

7. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, if I'm in the right mood (step up from "Cranky Pants") I'm not above asking someone if I can sit in a chair being "saved" for someone who may or may not arrive.....Saving a chair for 10 minutes while someone finishes changing is one thing--saving it for hours and hours is ridiculous and uncalled for.

8. punkypete

punkypete Tourist

I like the Flamingo, but have never tried their buffet. Did anyone try it? Also, when I go in 2 weeks, my room will costs $45.00/night. I got stiffed!!! :eek: One last note... ask for a room overlooking the strip!

9. KathyinNY

KathyinNY Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I liked the Flamingo too. Played 10 and doubled my money in 10 minutes.

We stayed at the Trop in the Island Towers. We had our drapes drawn most of the time because our room was warm and we were there in April too, the weather was tops 85. Our AC wasn't working properly either but for $39 a night I wasn't complaining.

10. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't care how much I'm paying (or not paying) if it's hot and my a/c isn't working, I'm calling the front desk and complaining!!! Granted, they might not be able to fix it, but still--they're gonna hear from me :D

11. KathyinNY

KathyinNY Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh they did Hoya, twice. But in April it wasn't as warm as I thought it was going to be. I mean it was nice but it wasn't that humidity hot that you get in upstate NY, like today, lol.

12. Michele

Michele Tourist

Hi! I have to agree with Hoya. You are paying to stay at the hotel just as well as everyine else is. I mean if someone is in the restroom or is changing,that is fine. But, if they just throw their towels down maybe even the night before, then I would complain to the management.

13. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't eat at the Flamingo buffet!!! It's been a while since I ate there, but I've had a breakfast, lunch, and dinner there and none were very good. Unless it's free, it's not worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.