1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Trip Report 3/25 - 3/28 - long

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by themightydude, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. themightydude

themightydude High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Please forgive the spelling mistakes...was typing in a hurry...

Just got back from a 4 day 3 night stay in Vegas at THE Hotel @ Mandalay Bay. I stayed in THEsuite

Day 1 3/25/2010

Woke up at 6 a.m for my 8:30 a.m flight out of Memphis on Delta airlines. Said a quick prayer for my liver hoping that it won't give out on me.

Finally left the house around 6:45 or so and made the quick 20 minute drive to the airport. Thankfully traffic wasn't to bad, and I was at the gate for the flight by 8:15 after checking my bag. Now I know a lot of you like to pre-game these trips at the airport bar and on the plane. However, that is something I have a difficult time doing as if I pregame like that on a long 3:30 flight by the time I hit Vegas I'm dead. For some reason the first day of travel basically renders me useless for a good portion of that day. A nap at the hotel usually works though, but I decided to play it safe this time and just stuck with water on the flight over.

Finally landed in Vegas at 10:30 that morning..waited a lifetime for my bags, then an eternity for a cab. I've never seen the Taxi stand line that full. I had to of been in line for at least 45 minutes.Finally got to the front of the line and split a cab with a guy from Minnesota who was there for March Madness. He was going to Mandalay Bay and I was going to THE Hotel, but they're both practically in the same spot so we just went to Mandalay.

Went to check in at the VIP desk but only to find out they had me down for only 2 nights in Vegas instead of 3..they couldn't get in touch with the host, so they extended the 3'rd night for me but at a players rate of $330. Few hours later I finally got in touch with the host though and got that knocked back to $100 / night. And yes, I got the room around noon which is suprising considering when I stayed at MGM Grand last time, they didn't have my room ready till 2:00 or so.

I really didn't do much this day..I was the first person in and one of the girls arrives in a few hours (it's noon now) and the rest of the group is suppose to arrive the next day. So I head up to the room to drop the bags off and take a few pictures before I wreck it. I ended up in suite 20-801 which is basically right in the corner section of The hotel..I had a few of the Luxor, excalibur, city center etc etc...I'll post pictures a bit later. I should of taken pictures of this but I didn't and I don't know why, but in the bar area of the room they had the standard stuff..you know, liquor, food water etc etc, but they had two black boxes there. One was called the Travel box and the other was called "the love box". Now of course I had to see what this contained.

2 condoms
    2 oral fixation mints
    2 feminine hygeine towels
    1 massage oil
    2 water based lubricants.

Interesting..almost thought about taking it with me just for the hell of it, but decided not to.

Still waiting for the girl to arrive, so I grab some money and head downstairs. They have a bunch of girls in some very nice outfits :) lining up to go on stage for the party pit. Lots of blackjack around there, but unfortunately it was all 6:5 BJ so I decided against it, and found a $25 table. Bought in for $400 and had a couple good streaks that got me up to $600-$700, then promply lost it down to $300 before I decided to cash out. It just went south real quick. I was getting hard 14's / 16's against dealer 9's and 10's, and kept busting on those almost everytime, then when I would turn that into a 20 or 21, the dealer would push. So, I decided to go over to the the video parker bar (across from the party pit), and was playing $1 Jacks or Better with max bet so $5 / deal. I didn't win anything, but I played for about a hour and a half and walked away only down $40. Didn't hit anything big, just Jacks or better, the occasional 3 of a kind or 2 pair, and hat a lot of drinks..I lost count after my 6'th rum and coke.

By now it was 3:00 or 4:00 and the girl was arriving at the hotel so I went back up to the room to freshen up some and waited for her to get there. She finally showed up and we were both hungry so we decided to see what kind of food we could find. Ended up going to "Red White And Blue" which is by Strip steak, and had a decent meal there. She got the turkey burger, and I ordered the braised shortribs with mash potatoes, and we split a crab cake appetizer. The shortribs were definitely awesome and the crabcakes were alright.

We had tickets for the 9:30 show that night for KA, so we headed back up to the room freshened up some / took a little bit of a nap before heading down at 9:00 to grab a cab to the MGM Grand.

The show was pretty cool people jumping at your while your walking in, and the stunts / acting was pretty decent I thought as well for the show. This one didn't have has many "acrobatic" moves as from what I remember from other Cirqe Du Solei shows as it seemed more story based, but still they had some pretty crazy things going on. Saw a guy that was on one of those duel hamster wheel things almost wipe out. He was running on top of the cage while it rotated around and jump roping at the top. Well one time, he missed the jump rope and I thought for sure he was going down. Saw him ditch the rope and he fell/grabbed onto the side of the cage then recovered. Close call!

Rest of the night was boring..went back to The Hotel and crashed...I was tired, she was tired, and once we layed down for a second it was all over.

Day 2 3/26/2010:

We both woke up around noon today, got dressed and went out in the search of food! We ended up taking a cab over to the MGM Mirage and ate at the carnegie deli. I had this massive open face Pastrami and Corn beef sandwich which was aboslutely fricking awesome. I was really really really hungry and almost ate half of it.

We played tourist after the lunch and decided to walk back to the Mbay, though I did play craps real quick at MGM Mirage for maybe 30 minutes or so. Played the Don't Pass / Don't come lines and lost it all :(

On the way back to the Mandalay, we stopped in at Aria and wandered around a bit. It smells like vanilla pine needles in there and as everyone has said, it's pretty dark in there. Can definitely tell they were trying for that sleek modern look, but it was a bit to dark for me. I didn't bother playing anything here.

Left Aria and kept on walking back to Mandalay...we stopped in at Nine fine irishmen for an hour so. Had a couple of beers and listened to the live music outside. There weren't that many people out there though (was only 3:30 or so), but the entertainer was still "entertaining". We were ready to head back so I tipped the guy $10 and we continued our walk back to Mandalay. Finally got back and my partner was tired and wanted a nap. We also found out the rest of the party bailed so it was just us. That's ok though..I can still have a good time in vegas :). I let the girl sleep for a bit and I head back downstairs to try to give some of my money away. I find a craps table with a few people around it and played for about 45 minutes, once again playing don't pass line, and was actually doing decent this time. I was up $400 with a $400 buy in, but then I got a phone call I had to take, so I grabbed my chips and stepped away from the table. When I was done with the phone call, the table was full :( Found a another table, but promptly lost $400 and decided to find a BJ table instead. Sat down at another $25 BJ table and this one was even worse than the last one. In 20 minutes I was down $300, so I said screw it and went back to the video poker bar for some Jacks or better.

I think I'm really starting to like Video poker cause it seems I can last a while here, and there is always a bartender to take your drink order :). Few more rum and cokes, and I was starting to have a hard time pushing the buttons on the screen..they kept moving! Wrote a note to myself to tell Mbay to fix their computer screens so everything stops moving. Anyway, I put $200 into the machine playing $5 / deal and got 1 card away from a royal flush which would of been $4,000!!! Man I was pissed! Hit a 4 of a kind for $125, and ended up cashing out down $120 after about a hour and a half of play.

Headed back up to the room and babe was getting ready(at this point I couldn't exactly remember her real name so I named her babe temporarily). I freshened up some, and we headed out for dinner. I'm not the richest guy in the world, and a $100 meal for 2 is expensive to me, so in my infinite wisdom I took us to Strip Steak(note to sue Bacardi for the amount of money I've lost when I've been drunk on their rum). Ordered these lobster stick appetizer things..had another rum and coke. Babe had a Margarita..didn't like it that much(she's not really a drinker..and doesn't like the taste of alcohol), so she was drinking the margarita then chasing it with pepsi. At this point I though well if she doesn't like I should drink it..at least I'll enjoy it :). So I drank her margarita and the waitress brought her a pomegranite martini. She didn't like that one either a whole lot so here comes a Cucumber Martini.

Now I know your thinking...wait a minute buddy...Cucumber matini?? And I say to you..YES..this think was awesome. They infused the vodka with cucumbers to the point where you can't even taste it. Babe also approved of this and drank it all down. Now she's feeling pretty good (score!). Anyway..back to dinner...

After the appetizer they brought out these fries that were fried in duck fat, and were quite good. There were 3 different kinds, and unfortunately I can't remember what the seasonings were. There were also 3 kinds of sauces they brough out as well. Some kind of garlic butter / ranch sauce, a spicyy ketchup and something else. Good stuff! Finally the food came! She got the prime rib for a measly $45 and I ordered the american ribeye / kobe cross. Only $95, but cheaper to the alternative which was the full Japanese A5 Kobey which at that moment was at a market price of $185. All in all, after tips and what not, it was only a $280 bill for dinner which I was perfectly fine with cause I was basically drunk! lol

After that we went back to the room, and I don't rememeber a whole lot of what happened, but I woke up hungover and had scratches on my chest / back...beds a mess..hmm. Love box is still intact though..haha..

Day 3 3/27/2010:

This time, I think we woke up around 1:00 / 2:00..holy crap!..that's over half the day gone!

We get dressed and head over to this Mexican place that overlooks the beach area for some food. This place was pretty good..I had some pork carnitas and a $30 margarita which was massive! After this, we went to Bodies exhibit at the Luxor. Pretty cool little exhibit

Now you'll have to forgive me as, my memory is not so fresh now, but after the bodies exhibit, El chico went back to the room for a nap, and I preceeded to gamble more. Bought in for $500 at a $25 mini baccrat table and kicked some serious ass. With 1 hour of play I was up to $1200. Cocktail service was very good..I tipped the waitress $5 when she came to get my order and she brought me doubles after that. So there I am..gambling..drinking and then I start losing on Baccarat..Down to $1100..$800..$500..$300..$150...shit...I gotta stop chasing losses. I cash out, tipped the dealer $50 paid my commissions off and put in my last $100 for gambling at the Video poker machine hoping for a miracle, but alas...my gambling sucked this trip and I lost that to.

Broke..degenerate and depressed...down $2,000 for the trip.

Head back up to the room freshen up, and we grab a cab to the Stratosphere . We head to the top of the stratosphere for some photos, then back to Mandalay bay. Grabbed dinner at the burger bar and retire to the room. By now, it's 1:00 a.m, and the girl has a 6:00 a.m flight so she gets what sleep I can, while I attempt to sleep, though thinking about the 2 grand I lost makes that hard to do. But that's ok..I remind myself that what I brought with me that I could afford to lose, and indeed I did lose, but still got money in the bank for bills and all that fun stuff :).

Anyway..my flight was at 12:40 the next day so I finally went to sleep..woke up around 9:30 went down to the players desk and managed to get $100 off my bill..they rated me as a $40 / hand player, averaging around 2 hours a session. I think I screwed up by doing small sessions ($300 here..$400 there $200 here)..instead I think I should of just done like 3 sessions and split it that way..then I would of shown up as playing longer possibly...but hey..I had fun!

Pictures..I took these with my iphone, so sorry that they are a bit blurry :(

Bathroom
    [​IMG]

Entry / living area:
    [​IMG]

The open face sandwich from Carnegie deli!
    [​IMG]

Massive Margarita!
    [​IMG]

party pit!
    [​IMG]

View from the room:
    [​IMG]

View of the LV Hilton from the stratosphere
    [​IMG]

Trip Cost breakdown:

Tickets: Free (Flex Perk Miles).
    Cab Costs: $100
    Food: $600
    Gambling: Down $1800
    Room: $300 for 3 nights.
    Show tickets: $200

2. jpw711

jpw711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report, that picture of the living area part of the room is the exact same as the broom closet room they gave us when the jilted us on the suite. Take out the couch, add a bed.

3. Bincheros

Bincheros Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report, thanks for posting. That sandwich is enormous!

4. rlhendrix

rlhendrix Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the TR. I'm staying there in May.

5. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the detailed report.

later, GVJ

6. themightydude

themightydude High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah it was a huge sandwich. It's one of my favorite places to grab a sandwich though in Vegas.

Possibly because my first trip to Vegas was @ the MGM Mirage and one of the first places we ate at was Carnegie Deli.

Was checking my players club, and they show that I lost $1,145 between table and video poker games...I think they shorted me! Oh well...Got a few offers from MGM Grand, but nothing good...$170 / $200 / night over the a few weekends this april (was just checking to see what I could get for the hell of it).

I'll probably give them some more play a few times this year @ Gold Strike here in Tunica...maybe get a few more offers for some of the Vegas properties.

I'll be back next year to get my revenge! I think I found a new game though...as I had some fun at the baccarat table..just need to find one with some Asians and follow their betting patterns. I think I about gave the dealer a heart attack when after I won 6 hands in a row, I said "wow..haven't lost a hand yet". It's ok though..I knocked on the table a few times hoping there was wood underneath. Still lost the next 2 hands though..lol

Also, next time, I think I'm going to rent a car. I could rent one for about the same amount I spent on cabs, plus it would let me get out and explore more. I still need to go see downtown.

7. jaxjoe

jaxjoe Guest

Good report.....I've had that sandwich, and I couldnyt eat it all either...:beer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.