1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Trip report 1/28-1/30

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by IWannaBeInVegas, Feb 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

We flew out of Columbus (CMH) to Memphis on Northwest airlines. We departed a couple minutes early which was nice. The only problem we had was that security must of thought that I looked funny because they did there random check on me. We arrived in Memphis and got to our gate. While boarding the plane, my wife got randomly checked. Now we were the first people in line just after first class and we were almost the last ones on the plane. We arrived in Las Vegas at 1036am and went straight to the baggage area. We retrieved our baggage and made way to the bus to the hotel. I could not beleive how cold it was, it was warmer on the east coast and made for a less than perfect trip.

Monday
    We arrived at New York New York hotel about 1130 and went to the check in. Check-in is actually at 3pm, but they were slow the night before so we were able to check in. We had requested a king, Non-smoking room with a good view of the strip. I atttempted the 20 dollor trick and to my dismay, it did not work. I had asked for an upgrade and she said it wouild be 90 extra a night and I showed her the 20 and she said she thought she could do 50 extra a night. I declined and stuck the 20 back into my pocket. She gave us room 2036, which had a bad view. I looked out and saw a wall and about 1/4 of MGM. I called to the desk and asked for a better room and again, same lady said she could not do anything. Ok, so we had a small room and no view. Lets just live with it and get started on fun. We got something to eat and then started our journy down the strip. We walked into almost every hotel on that side of the strip, just so my wife could see each of them. She loved them all. We eventually stopped at Westward Ho (it took us about 2 or so hours to make the walk) and I got one of there .99cent 27OZ margeritas and my wife got the 3/4LBS hot dog. She liked the hotdog but it made her sick. Now they really load those margeritas with alcohol. After that we managed to make it to Circus Circus, walked around a bit there and then left, walking up the other side of the strip. We were in a bit of a hurry at this point, keep in mind the wind chill was about 15 degrees, and I packed for warm weather myself, she was ok, but forgot her jacket in the hotel. We managed to stop at Venition, that is a great place. We took a gondola ride which was nice, the price was a bit high I thought, but all in all the ride was nice. They took our picture and when we got back, we they told us our picture was in the little store, you go in, yep, there is a picture, and they charge you an extra 15 bucks for that. After we were done, we went back to the hotel and decided to walk around and check out some of the little shops and stuff inside and then we called it a night- or so we thought. At approx 1015pm (vegas time, 115am my time) I get a call from the front desk asking for some lady that I have never heard of, and I was nice and told them they had the wrong room. Problem solved? Nope, 5 minutes later they call back and ask for her again, and I again advise them that they had the wrong room. I was a bit mad at this point and just wanted to get a little sleep (we were at the airport at 3am our time at the request of the airline). I thought ok, now I can go back to sleep, yeah, right, I get a phone call again, this time the supevisor telling me that I am in the wrong room, and that we would have to come down in the morning to get things fixed. I was like, you know, its late, my wife and I were sleeping and you keep waking us up, and he said that they were just trying to figure out the problem themselves. After that, I was to mad to sleep, so I got dressed and went down the the desk and spoke with the night manager and told him exactally how I thought. We had gotten our room thru expedia, so it was already paid for and so we could not just check out and get a new hotel. I told him of all the problems, from the wall view to the phone calls. What does he do, not only does he offer to make it right for us, he gave us a room with a jacuzzi(sp), but he gave us a room with a great view and promised that anything else I needed, he would take care of personally. Finally, I get some sleep.

Day 2.
    We woke up, and went to the America for breakfast. Food was ok, but a bit over priced. We basically just stayed up on the south part of the strip for the day, but decided to see a show. I checked prices and found that they had the Bottoms Up at Flamingo and that Tuesday was special price day, only 7 each. We got the Flamingo and got our tickets and I remebered that I was to call work becasue they had a meeting that day, so I call, and what do I find out? Oh, did they make my trip, they cut our whole departments jobs, contracted out, effective asap. They gave us no notice. Now I am a bit upset, but am determined not to let this ruin my trip. We go to the show, watch it, and had a whole hour and 15 minutes of laughs and go back to the hotel and just hang out. I played some but no luck. We ended up going out a bit later to MGM and Luxor and Excaliber but did no real gambling.

Day 3.
    I cant sleep, so I get up and tell my wife im going out for a bit (this is 1am Vegas time) so I go to Boardwalk and play some craps, hey, I was winning so I quit. Went back to NYNY, put .75 into a machine and I wish 25 bucks. Now I decided to go back to the room. I had gone with 30 and come back with 60, that was fine for me. At 7am, we decided to see if we could get an earlier flight out of vegas because we had to check out at 11am and our flight was not until 1050pm and it was just to cold to do anything really. The airline got us a 1215 flight that did not take off until 1245.

All and all, the first day I was not to happy, but the hotel made up for it. I know for a fact I am missing ALOT of detail, but I just cant remember it all. NYNY is a nice hotel in my opnion, and I would stay there again any day of the week. I like the way it is layed out and its not to big. It is hard to find a 5 dollor table, but you can walk to Boardwalk and get a 3 dollor table. I would say eat at other places, as they are high priced for the food you get. The trip did not last long enough, but it was nice.

Tentative Arrival
  2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Steve:

Sorry you had such a bumpy trip, but I'm glad that NYNY was able to get you in a nice room!

Also hope you don't mind me moving your trip report to the Trip Report section.

Thanks for sharing it! :D

3. veegee

veegee Tourist

Enjoyed your report. What a rotten way to find out about your job.

4. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For those wanting a report of NYNY (iv seen some asked), I finally found my OLD trip report, LOL.

Oh, note, the wife mentioned in the report, is soon to be no more.

Tentative Arrival
  5. Coaster Kikky

Coaster Kikky Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for writing it up!

I don't like the trend I'm seeing though... go to Vegas and find out your job is coming/has come to an end. [​IMG]

6. RamBill

RamBill Tourist

Thanks for the report and sorry about your job! Welcome to the wonderful world of outsourcing! When will these dunderheaded bean counters wake up and realize that if they ship all of our jobs overseas, there won't be anyone here with money to buy their products or services!!

7. boxcars

boxcars High-Roller

IWannaBeInVegas, I think this is your post started by "steve and katrina" right?

Some might miss that since it was originally posted nearly 3 years ago.

I'm confused... you lost your job???

***Just re-read. I see where the department was cut.

So what has happened since then with your employment? Are you in a better situation these days?

[ December 10, 2004, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: boxcars ]

8. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I basiaclly just bumped this, since there has been several people asking about NYNY lately. Yeah, nearly 3 years ago, and I found employment 2 weeks later, and have been there every since. Not a great job, but a job.

Tentative Arrival
  9. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL, look at the date of the orginal post, it was awhile ago :eek:

Yeah, it sucked finding out about the job that way. Oh well, life moves on and so have I.

Tentative Arrival
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.