1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Traveling with CPAP

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by MikeOPensacola, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea and have gotten a CPAP machine. I understand that the airlines will allow this to be my third carry-on without any additional fee. I was wondering if the airlines/TSA will let me put the CPAP in a backpack, or something of the like, or do I have to travel with it in the case only?

I don't plan on using it when I fly. I've also heard that it helps smooth things over with a Doctor's note, is this true?

Thanks in advance.......

:peace: :beer:

Annual Summer Bliss in the Land of Milk and Honey!!!
  2. PaulBowdry

PaulBowdry Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a CPAP machine and have travelled with it many times. There should be no issue how you want to carry your CPAP machine. One time going through the checkpoint they wanted me to take the machine out kind of like a laptop. Another time they said leave it in the bag. I always tell the first TSA person right before the checkpoint and bins that I have one and do they want me to take it out. I have a little soft carrying case it came with. It has a strap on it I always pack it separate and it fits right under the seat . It shouldn't matter how you pack it. Just tell the TSA person and they are laid back about them. Never needed a doctor's note. They never pulled me aside because I had one. Just make sure if you are using water for the humidifier portion you empty it out. I forgot and got all my stuff wet one time. I only use the humidifier part when in Vegas because my nose and mouth will get too dry. Use distilled water too for it because it will leave mineral deposits if you dont. Hope I answered your question.

3. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have used a CPAP machine for the last 20 years. They've gotten smaller and smaller. The one I have now (Remstar System One) fits Into my carryon. I have a small bag from the Golden Gate that all of the parts (CPAP, Power supply, hose and mask)

20150422_213703_1.jpg 20150422_213645_1.jpg

I don't know whether or not the airlines will allow this as a third carry On. I know that TSA will sometimes require that you have it out for inspection.

I don't think that a Dr. note will make any difference.

How big is your CPAP?

4. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I carry mine in a soft cooler, I've checked it and carried it on. Never a problem, nice to have a cooler when we there. I bring a few strong plastic bags, to carry the cpap while there and to keep the cooler dry.

5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    TSA won't care how you package it, and may or may not request it be out (as noted above, good to ask before you get to the screener as this could vary by airport). The airline also technically should not care how you package the machine, as it is a medical device and you are allowed to carry it on in addition to the allowable carry-on/personal items. However, if you pack a small CPAP in a huge rolling bag with a bunch of other crap, I personally (as a fellow passenger) would be pissed off - that goes against the spirit of the rule. If you want it in the sort of bag that makes it easier to carry - but is still basically the size of the equipment - I imagine that would be fine.

6. eisen7979

eisen7979 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have this same model and also transport it in a small bag. There was only one time (Feb 2010 Vegas trip) that TSA here in Minneapolis had me remove it and they did some sort of swipe test on it. No other times has it even been looked at. I really just find it sort of inconvenient to keep it separate from my carry on since it is another item to keep track of and lug around. I never knew how many people used a CPAP until I started traveling with one. TSA once told me that they are just as common as laptops these days...

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.