1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Total Rewards Visa-when to apply

Discussion in 'Comps' started by imheids, Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imheids

imheids Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I keep getting info on Total Rewards Visa, have comp'd rooms at the Rio, but what would be better? Apply for TR Visa at TR desk or have it in hand when I arrive in Vegas?

2. Peachiekeehn

Peachiekeehn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're already comped, I would apply at the TR desk. There was a couple doing that when I was there in November and they were told right away that they were approved and given their platinum TR cards right away.

3. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have not purchased your airfare yet,may be better to get the card and use it for the RC's if you spend enough.
    I got the $100 by combining airfare and some grocery shopping,a cable bill to reach the $750? needed before last september's trip.

4. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would get it a couple months before you go to Vegas that way you can earn the $100 in RC, like jamesxnj said. I got mine last month for my trip in March. Charged $750 to it and got my free $100 plus it extended the $20 I already had on there that was about to expire so come march I should easily have $150 in RC. Plus I should be able to get 2 trips as platinum out of it, cuttin those checkin lines will make it all worth it.

5. WWGB

WWGB Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For those who are not already platinum, has it ever been determined exactly how long the TR Visa gets you the platinum status? Is it exactly 12 months from the issue date or could it be longer, like until the end of the following calendar year or something like that?

6. dvandentop

dvandentop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if you are platium already can get it get you diamond with the up to 10k rewards credits??
    i already have 5k credits and a 10k boost would get me to diamond

7. jgxtrav1

jgxtrav1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, points earned from the credit card are bonus points and do not count towards status.

8. STPFan

STPFan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would love the answer to that one too. I applied last April and am wondering if we run out in April or carry through till 2015. I have seen both as answers.

Speaking of the card. Does anyone have the rewards details missing from the card statement website. I used to be able to view the rewards we earned but cannot find them the last few days.

9. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would get it prior so you can rack up points to use on your trip. I had the old one. Keep in mind, unless you use your card extensively, it doesn't really help you much.

I would guess it's 12 months from issue date. Since they don't have a status cut off like Mlife does right?

And they don't give you credits to advance, I think it's a fake status really. So I don't think it would push you to diamond.

http://www.totalrewards.com/e-totalrewards/content/pages/visa.html?rd=TRcard_visa here's the info...

10. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I too have gotten info on this. I tried to do some research on it, but found nothing to convince me to get it.

What does this card earn? Why get this?

I use my Southwest Chase card. At the minimum, it earns 1% back on purchases. That's what you can get converting points into gift certificates at just about anywhere you want.

But if you use it for flights, and earn enough to earn a companion pass also, it can earn close to 4% on purchases. I don't know how they do it.

11. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's 1 year from the date the card is issued. So for me I got my card last Nov so I am platinum till Nov 2014

12. 16gauge

16gauge Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got the card in September. I just returned from Vegas and noticed on my players club card it lists an expiration date of 4/14. If you get the card, be sure to keep the dated letter that comes with the card to show the exact date your 12 months should start.

If you are not already platinum, get it before you go as CET now charges resort fees on comped rooms unless you are platinum or higher.

13. Sam in Ut

Sam in Ut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another thing to consider is the added perk of two "24 hour buffet" passes that is given but you must use them within 6 months of the card's issue date. The lady at the TR help desk told me not to miss out on those cuz they are worth a hundy..

14. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That link is missing for me as well.

15. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got my card in late April/May..My TR card shows Platinum til 3/14...I have to go by what that date says and prepare to be back to Gold next trip and wait in line at Rio check-in..was nice while it lasted..

16. luckydude

luckydude Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Two Cards in one Family?

I just got mine in and activated it yesterday. My wife and I are wondering if we would be better off adding her to my account or for her to get her own card. It seems like such a no brainer for her to get her own card and get another 10K points and another buffet for 2. We are going in May and will be able to use the platinum status, points and the buffet's.

This just seems too good to be true or am I missing some fine print or something.

17. annie46

annie46 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband got his last spring, and we used the buffet pass . I applied this week and we will use my pass when we go in April. It is a no brainer actually. I will charge airfare to it and other stuff to get to the $750.00 for my 10,000 points.

I am assuming that me being platinum will waive the resort fee at the Rio ? The room will be in my name. Just wondering about this . I have heard both ways .

18. paperposter

paperposter VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yup as long as its book that way

19. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Correct. Got my card, was instantly upgraded to platinum. Booked my rooms at Bally's and it showed $0.00 for resort fees.

20. annie46

annie46 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great ! I will book as soon as I show platinum !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.