1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Total Rewards booking question

Discussion in 'Comps' started by DonnyC, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey all,

Looking at possibly going to Vegas for August long 2013. Right now through the Total Rewards website, via their rate calendar I ma able to get Thursday and Sunday comped with Friday and Saturday each at a price of $120.

I don't yet have the offers 'Special rates in Vegas' for that far out, only showing January right now. I usually get 3 free nights out of that (based on availability).

However what I have noticed is that those offers 'Special rates in Vegas' are for 3 nights "Enjoy 3 free nts (where available) or calendar rates @Caesars, Planet Hollywood, Paris, Rio, Harrah's, Flamingo, Bally's or Imperial Palace! ".

But I also have some offers for the same month that reads the same except "Enjoy 2 free nts (where available) or calendar rates @Caesars, Planet Hollywood, Paris, Rio, Harrah's, Flamingo, Bally's or Imperial Palace! ".

SO I have 2 different offer codes for September, 1 for 2 nights, 1 for 3.

October's offer is for 3 free nights & November,ber is for 3 free nights.

The offers for December and January are only for 2 nights.

So here are my questions. Is Total Rewards trending down to 2 free nights as opposed to 3 in general? Or, is my lower play in March of 2012 triggering my offers to come in as 2 free nights as opposed to 3?

If I book now for August 2013 do I have to pay for the 2 nights upfront?

If a better offer comes can I cancel a potential 2013 booking and go to the better offer?

2. Ashton7

Ashton7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Look up the availability calendar instead of the offer codes. My SO and I usually get "offers" saying 2 free night or 3 free nights ... but if we book using the calendar, we get 5 free nights or it will at least tell you which nights you can get comped at each hotel and how much you have to pay for the nights that aren't comped.

Actually, the last time I used an offer code but just went ahead and added the extra two nights figuring it would give me a rate they also all came up comped.

3. Ashton7

Ashton7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    BTW, although we can get 5 free nights in Vegas (including weekends), Cherokee will only comp us 4 nights, not including Friday or Saturday, and Biloxi only wants to comp us 3 nights, again only midweek.

4. oghuman

oghuman High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally I would wait for offers. This year I made reservations for October before any offers came. I then got one offer with a $75 resort credit. I sent my host any email to change the reservation for the offer. Only problem is that two weeks later I got another offer for the same amount of nights(5), with $350 toward airfare or $450 FP. There's no reason to make reservation for August now, plenty rooms will be available next year.

5. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I disagree with this. If you know your dates, book your best offer today. If you get better offers, you can always upgrade. If your offers get worse, you simply keep what you've got.

6. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, that depends on whether there is a deposit and whether you'll miss it.

With completely comped rooms I agree.

7. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My mistake. Yes, I meant for completely comped rooms.

8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never book using offer codes.

Just looked up some early Dec dates and was able to get 5 nights comped. No offer code.

Some of the "better rooms" were no longer comped, or only a few nights and had to pay for others.

9. oghuman

oghuman High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    AFAIK there are no offers for August of next year and that's why I responded that way. There is no way to tell what offers will come, and yes, you are correct that you can book now and then change later. But August of next year, who know where you might want to stay with all the construction going on.
    I don't think you have to pay now, but I'm not sure because I never pay for rooms at CET.

10. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess it is possible (if I book Thursday - Monday with Thursday and Sunday comped) that later on Sunday and Monday might become comped and Thursday and Monday for charge.

Could I then switch Friday and Saturday (the middle of my booking) to the comped rooms (hypothetically if the rate calendar shows what I have explained)? Or would I have to cancel the reservation making a new reservation (paying for Thursday and Sunday but getting Friday and Saturday comped - which would still presumably be cheaper)?

11. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Most likely they will cancel your old reservation and have to rebook it. The system probably won't allow them to rebook just a few of the nights. I only say most likely because you can always get lucky that the person on the phone will try and help you out, or if you have a host they can do that. My experience though has been that they need to cancel the entire thing and rebook. This is the main reason I book more nights generally than I expect if there are a few comped days on either end. You can always remove a day from a reservation without canceling, but you can't simply add one.

If the deposit(if there is one) is not an issue, I am a fan of booking as far out as possible with 1 exception which I'll mention shortly. Generally there just isn't any downside to this. You can get a full refund at anytime. If rates go down(or offers come out), you simply change your reservation. If plans change, simply cancel.

The one exception is if you go to Vegas somewhat often. I do think there is a limit on the number of active reservations you can have in the system. The number may be quite high, but I've heard it may be a max of 3 at a time.

12. Ashton7

Ashton7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I actually have done what you are talking about more than once (added on or subtracted days). You just go into your current reservation and there is an option to cancel or change your reservation. You put in the new dates and the system will tell you the new cost versus the old cost. As long as you do not change hotels, you *do not* have to cancel the original reservation and totally rebook.

For instance, last year I had four nights booked at the Rio. Thursday was comped, Friday was $60, Saturday was $60 and Sunday was comped. My SO, who gets better comps than me was booked for 4 nights comped at the Paris earlier in the week. A 5th night became available comped at the Paris. I changed their reservation to 5 nights, all comped. Which left us with an overlapping night at the Rio. I went in and changed my own reservation for the Rio to Friday - Sunday. This gave me new rates -- Friday comped, Saturday $60 and Sunday comped. So it actually worked out better overall.

I did all of this online, btw. Didn't call them at all.

13. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where I am expecting to run into problems is if one of the days in the middle of the reservation becomes comped and one of the original comped ones is not for charge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.