1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Top Chef/Ramsay/Food Network restaurants

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by kayhill232, Oct 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kayhill232

kayhill232 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, are they all super expensive? Do you ever see the chefs? Good reviews, bad reviews? Which ones need reservations? Which are more casual as opposed to dressing up? What would a decent meal for 2 run a person?

I would love to have a "fine dining" experience for once in my life (we live in North Dakota - not much fine dining here) but we're on a pretty tight budget. Short of hitting a decent jackpot and being able to afford a good meal. About the best we have here is Olive Garden and Texas Roadhouse, which is sad.

2. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The list is actually kinda long but to cut to the quick Mesa Grill (Bobby Flay) would probably be the most accessible and up your alley. The chefs aren't going to be there. They probably don't cook a lot in their home base restaurants but its actual news when they actually come to Vegas. If you were interested in places run by Top Chef contestants, that would take you off strip to places run by guys I hardly remember on the show but many judges are well represented. It would just take forever to compile the whole thing. If there are chefs you like, it would be easy to figure out what restaurant would be connected but the whole list of chefs you've seen on TV would take forever.

3. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, you will never see Ramsey or Colicchio. Giada was making rounds when it first opened, but I haven't heard of her being there lately.

The Gordon Ramsey Steakhouse and both of Tom Colicchio's places will run you a minimum of $60 per person, not including tip, not including beverages. And that would still be tight.

You could do the bar menu/happy hour at Colicchio's Heritage Steak at Mirage, Gordon Ramsay's BurGR at Planet Hollywood, or try the happy hour at Gordon Ramsay's Pub at Caesars. That would make it cheaper and you'll still have been there. You won't quite get the experience that you'd get with the full menu, but you would also avoid the price tag that comes with it.

Tom's CraftSteak is fantastic, Tom's Heritage Steak is great, GR Steakhouse is okay, GR BurGR is good, and I haven't been to GR's Pub yet. I can't stand Giada so I probably won't go there anytime soon.

There are many fine dining establishments from non-TV chefs as well. Maybe you could skimp a little on other parts of your trip so you could have one very nice meal on your trip. Either way, have a good time. :)

4. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    my personal choice from experience is Delmonicos at the venetian.. emerils joint. did the lunch menu and had beef toranados,... excellent meal.

5. kayhill232

kayhill232 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you all for your responses - kind of a foolish question, but I so much appreciate that I have found this board. It will make our trip that much better to have experienced Vegas people giving us advice!

6. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The post about Delmonico gave me another thought that might interest you if you are in to TV chefs.

Emeril's Table 10 has a great happy hour menu with lots of good items.
    http://www.emerilsrestaurants.com/table-10/menus

Also, Wolfgang Puck's Pizziera & Cucina at Crystals at CityCenter has all-day happy hour at the bar.
    http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/sites/default/files/Cucina%20Happy%20Hour%20Website.pdf

Also, look for Prix Fixe menus or Early Dining or Pre-Theater menus when browsing restaurants you are interested in online. You can often get a good meal at a good price if you go this route, however not everyone offers them.

7. VegasChic-

VegasChic- VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

We had eaten at the Mesa Grill, and I was talking to the server. He said although Flay wasn't around, they had one of the "IRON CHEF" contestants running the kitchen, and he pointed her out to me. As corny as it sounds, if it interests you, just ask the server if they are around!!!
    If the budget is tight, try going to the bar/lounge area, may not get a full meal, but you might try an appy/drink for a smaller price and still get the flavour of the restaurant and the experience of being there at all! Also works to do a coffee and dessert!
    Most of the restaurants have a menu online so you can usually look in advance to see if the menu interests you, as well as prices based on what you think you are likely to order.

8. kayhill232

kayhill232 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's another thing I was wondering - is it proper protocol to go into a restaurant and just wish to order coffee and a dessert? I found a thread on desserts, and now have about 10 desserts I'd like to try - lol - main ones being warm butter cake at Mastro's and sticky toffee pudding at Gordon Ramsay's steak place.

9. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Da1chifan's prix fixe/pre-theater menus suggestion is probably your best bet to be able to enjoy fine dining on the cheap...or at least cheaper.

While it's not quite the same thing as dinner, lunch at some of the nice places can be a great experience at a much lower price point as well. Estiatorio Milos at Cosmopolitan, in particular, is a fantastic deal. They have a prix fixe three course lunch menu for around $22. While the portions are smallish, it's more than enough food for lunch and everything I've tried has been delicious. And you still get the gorgeous setting and great service that would come with a $100-200+ per person price tag in the evening.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with you just having desserts and coffee - people do it all the time. I suppose if it's really busy they might not like it. I'd just tell them what you intend to do up front. If they don't want to give you a table you can always eat at the bar.

10. ajp

ajp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You may not have to hit a jackpot. Sign up at social rewards to earn total rewards reward credits. Most of the restaurants at CET properties take rewards credits for payment. My wife and I ate at Gordon Ramsay Steak and the bill was 189. We each had a cocktail, salad, and beef wellington.

11. kayhill232

kayhill232 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yum - I've always wanted to try the beef wellington! Okay I'll look for social rewards. I do like the lunch idea for $22 also - that sounds like a good plan.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.