1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

To The Readers On VMB

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by VegasGroove, Nov 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's your favorite genre: Mysteries? Espionage? Romance? Political Intrigue? Biographies? Sci-Fi? White Collar Crime? Medical Thrillers?

And within your genre, what are your requirements: No profanity? Must be written in the first or third person? Book Cover Interesting? Multiple characters?

And finally, who is your favorite author?

Me? I love mysteries and thrillers with a financial or medical backdrop, set in modern day. None or at least a scant amount of profanity. Third person writing, please and not too many characters to keep track of.

How about you?!

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

I still read way more non-fiction than fiction.

3. Its Only Money

Its Only Money Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the black ops thrillers. Dewey Andreas is my favorite character right now. That would mean Ben Coes is my favorite author right now too. I can't wait for First Strike to come out next year, I hope. I like books to be in third person. Other authors I enjoy are, Vince Flynn, I hope he had someone shadowing him on his last books so Mitch Rapp can live on through Flynn's death, Brad Thor, Ciive Cussler, David Baldacci, James Patterson and the like.

I'll read several fiction books and then pick up a non-fiction. I was reading non-fiction for several years and then picked up a novel and remembered how much I really enjoy reading. Now I limit non-fiction to every 5th book or so.

I need one more trip to up my frequent flier level
  4. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like to read Haruki Murakami novels. Guess you'd classify them as mystery metaphysical. They are written in Japanese and translated to English. Bought one of his books in China. Thought that was pretty cool. I don't like too many characters to keep track of. Game of Thrones is confusing enough. Don't mind cursing. Fear and Loathing in Vegas was great. It has to be well-written. Books like Girl with Dragon Tattoo have way too many errors in the grammar/spelling for me.

5. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mostly romance but I love a good sci-fi fantasy series every now and again. Trying to get into more fiction in general. Very few limits on what I will read. I used to read constantly but fell off when the smaller bookstores went down. Now that I have a kindle I am getting back in the habit. I don't really have favorite author right now. I used to pick up everything from people like Ann Rice, Laurell K. Hamilton and Marion Zimmer Bradley as they hit the shelves but not any longer.

6. vwhiten

vwhiten High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love mysteries all kinds. I am very eclectic. I have read all the Tony Hillerman - love anything set in the Southwest. James Doss The Charlie Moon mysteries is Hillerman with a sense of humor. I also enjoy Janet Evonovich. One of my favorites is Anne George-- Southern Sisters mysteries. Sadly, the only one left still alive is Janet Evonovich.

I don't mind a little profanity, violence, or sex. But I will put a book down if it is overly graphic.

36th Wedding Anniversary
  7. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fantasy.

No real requirements, just I know what I like.

Favourite author is probably Patrick Rothfuss at the moment, but he publishes too darn slow.

8. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the Jack Ryan series by Tom Clancy.

John Grisham, Stephen King, Dean Koontz. David Baldacci and Michael Connelly are now in the mix.

9. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Historical romance, historical fiction, biographies or memoirs, mysteries (either cozies, forensic, or historical settings). And since I love to travel, I like to prep for trips by reading relevant books - fiction & non-fiction about the place I'll be traveling. On my trip to China next week, one of the books I loaded onto my Kindle is Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson - going to prep for a January trip to London. (this is my 3rd trip to China for work in the past 16 months; I've already done my China prep reading for the year ;-)

I read too much to have a favorite author. I have a top 20 or 30 though ;-)

10. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mostly Sci-Fi and Fantasy, but I'll read whatever someone gives me that they say is good. Lots of people around me are avid readers so I let them weed out the books :)

11. daveg000

daveg000 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sci-Fi and Fantasy, Top 30 fiction

AVID - at times of my life a book a day (they were thinner then, now they are 600+ pages with 3 to 12 in a series.)

That Librarian, 51 years ago, didn't know what she started when she handed me a book by Robert Heinlein.

12. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

I enjoy almost anything that is written well, so long as it is relatively realistic. Fiction, nonfic, bio. Right now, I am working my way through Daniel Silva and Marcia Muller.

13. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My favorite genre is comic strip collections/anthologies.

My all-time favorite is the Family Circus comics by Bil Keane. As a youngster my Mom would let me get one a month from the cheap book rack at the store. Over the years I amassed a huge collection of those books. The one panel, circular format was brief, but was good practice in comprehension as I'd have to sometimes study the picture a lot to figure out where the humor was.
    Also, these books were ones I could share with my friends who struggled in reading--to share and encourage their reading without making them think I was "showing off" by being able to read better than them.

I still see new ones, even in the same store--now written/drawn by Bil's son, I believe.

-Richard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.