1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tipping: So very sorry

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by TOWNSVILLE, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOWNSVILLE

TOWNSVILLE Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got back to Australia a couple of weeks ago and checked out you tube regarding tips.l followed what seemed to be what the locals did,so sorry to you all in the hospitality industry.l now know that 20% is the required tip.This will never happen again when l am over thereTips don"t exist in Australia,because our minimum wage is much higher than yours.SoSorry:confused2::confused2:

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Town, you're cool. Don't be deluded by the service industry's campaign that only deadbeats don't tip at least 20 percent, regardless the quality of service. It is nice that you are conscious of other culture's mores, but a gratuity in America is still about a service rendered well and those being served are under NO obligation whatsoever to somehow offset another person choosing an occupation that perhaps -- perhaps -- has a lousy base pay structure.

Seriously.

Anyway, if 20% was somehow required, a lot of people with whom we interact would then receive less in the way of a gratuity.

3. scc31

scc31 Low-Roller

Actually, the customs in my area is to tip 10-15%. 20% is usually reserved for fine dining. Hell. Tips not even required if the service sucked. But customary is to tip 10-15%. Its no big deal. I was surprised to learn parts of the world don't use this practice "tip." To each their own.

4. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was at the Hit bar at Monte Carlo last month redeeming the MyVegas whiskey tasting, four generous shots of Bourbon for which I left a $20 tip, a dude walks up and orders a drink. Bartender pours a generous amount, with tax it was $13.81, I was still sober enough to remember the amount. He charges it to a credit card, totals $14.00 leaving 19 generous US of A cents for the bartender - he showed me. Said sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. Says a certain couple groups don't tip. This guy was an American, I won't describe him further.

Some people seem to sometimes expect tips and are over paid for the little service they provide. I don't mind tipping when I do get good service but don't when I get none,

When travelling in Europe it's common to not tip but if they see you are an American, boy they have their hand out anyway!

If you feel really remorseful, square up with a small donation to a local charity!

5. Yall

Yall Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also, don't forget that Nevada state law states that even tipped workers can't be paid below the minimum wage. So even if your server didn't get tipped he/she still made as much as anyone else did in a non-tipping position.

Last trip as a non-parent...
  6. abraxis

abraxis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah towns, don't feel bad. At least you took the effort to learn. By following what you saw, I'm sure you did okay.

As an aside, i find non-tipping cultures interesting. ..i just returned from a trip to japan and, man, if there were any folks who deserved a huge tip it was those people. Too bad if u left any money on the table, they'd chase you down and give it back to you

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.