1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tipping Housekeeping

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Phaleproof, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I have ones, I tip $3 a day. If I don't, then I leave a 5.
    If I miss a day's tip (yes, it happens...admit it!), I'll leave $8 - $10 the next day.

If I request anything special (like extra coffe packets), or on those rare times when she just figures out that since the de-caf isn't being used, I could probably use some extra 'real' coffee, then I add for stuff like that...usually an extra buck or two.

2. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You do this too? LOLOL! I always use a cup/glass that's in the room and each time I have change, I load it up. That change really adds up! And I never use housekeeping during my stays.

3. skybank

skybank High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have for a few years now left 2 $2 bills per day. One of ladies at Ballys thanked me for them one year when I was coming back to my room and she was still cleaning one of the rooms in my hallway.

4. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve thought about the same thing, Dino. I don’t hesitate to tip a CW $5 – several times a night. And I’d sure rather do her job (maybe without the heels and skimpy attire:rolleyes2:) than the housekeeper’s.

Unfortunately though, it pretty much comes down to what’s in my wallet when I leave for the day. If I have a five and some singles, I’ll leave that. If I have a ten, ditto. But if it’s between a five and a twenty…she’s getting the fin.

5. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just saw a guy that works in the hotel industry and he said $3-5 aday and, pay up front on the first day for your stay.

6. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also use the cup/glass. Exactly the same system. That's funny.

7. lljimll

lljimll Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have always tipped at the end of our stay.
    Should we tip daily? If so where and how should
    we leave her tip so she knows to take it.
    Thanks

8. vegas_or_bust

vegas_or_bust High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tip, usually $5 on the first day, and then $3-$5 each day thereafter. I always leave a note: "Tip for Maid" so that they know its for them (and so that the people that come in the room to fill the mini-bar don't take it).

In most tipping situations, you tip at the end of the service to reward them (i.e. CW, or food server). However, I have found that tipping at the beginning is much more useful for maid service, as it encourages better service (i.e. extra towels, or extra glasses upon request; your clothes being folded, etc).

Also, I am convinced that tipping the maid is a theft-deterrent. I have never had anything stolen by the maid in Vegas (or elsewhere). Although I have no hard evidence, I firmly believe that a maid is much less likely to steal from you if you have already shown her some appreciation by leaving a tip. Just my 2 cents.

9. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I kind of always forget about tipping housekeeping. but they do work hard especially in the big suites. I've seen them and a team of 2-3 will spend an hour or more in the Mansion or Skylofts. I need to get better about remembering to leave them a nice tip at the end of the stay.

10. Kickin

Kickin Flea

I'm surprised so many people don't like using housekeeping. I use them twice a day! I like having the room turned down.

I also forget to tip them a lot of times, usually just remember when I see them. But unlike many places where I tip largely out of convention, housekeepers are one of the service providers I feel completely deserve it.

11. freddywill

freddywill Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We don't usually have them clean the room except on the last day, then we usually tip about 3 bucks, but during the stay we usually see the lady outside and just ask for new towels and give her two buck and tell her she doesnt have to clean the room, she seems fine with that. lol

12. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At least $5 a day, depending on how our trip is going. :thumbsup:

13. Ronoh

Ronoh Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I leave $5.50 every day... a $1 bill, 3 golden dollars, and 6 quarters with the coins placed on top of the dollar bills GW pic in the shape of a Mickey (dollar coins as the face, quarters as the ears). Started doing it our first time at Disney years ago to amuse my kids and it just kinda stuck.

14. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. While I'm sure most thefts are crimes of opportunity, I still think they would be much less likely to steal from someone who is tipping them.

Ditto. To each his own, of course. But I love always having a clean room and made up bed. I even like having my dirty clothes folded and "organized".

Lol. That's pretty cool! :thumbsup:

15. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ALWAYS leave a tip daily....$3-$5 depending on what change I have. I remember reading on this board that leaving a tip when you leave may not ensure the ladies who actually took care of your room for those days got the $$. They could be off that particular day and someone just coming in gets a large tip she did not work for. So just to be fair.... I leave one daily with a note with any requests and thanking them for taking care of us.

16. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also enjoy twice daily housekeeping and sometimes tip if I am in the mood.

2 big surprises in this thread--so many say they never want service yet tip $5/day. I would guess 95% of hotel guests take daily service and tip zero.

17. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually leave $3 each day in my room.

I hate to tip the people who bring me extra towels or toiletries though...

18. paula711

paula711 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    good karma

I am with some of the replies. 2,3,5 a day depending on the level of service. We usually tip daily as assignments/work assignments rotate. I recently read on TA how many people never tip housekeeping. It was a large %. Long as I can work and earn a decent wage - I am happy and glad for the service and appreciate it. But also recognize we are all different and some folks consider it too invasive.

19. gerry53

gerry53 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    now that I`m solo I ask them not to clean the room and just catch the maid in the hall if I need something.

that change idea is great!

20. kathski

kathski Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually leave $5 per day and collect all my change in a glass to leave at the end of our stay!! Too funny that so many other people do that too.!!!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.